Super Bowl bound? NOT LIKELY

How is that wrong? Defense doesn't win championships?!

It's been proven that you absolutely have to have a good defense or win a SB most of the time.

Tom Brady has never won a SB without a top 10 statistical defense.

Broncos were an all-time defense and so were the Seahawks.

The Buccaneers were obviously an all-time defense.

The Steelers had very good defenses in both of their SB wins.

The Giants defense was very good in both of their SB wins.

Ravens were one of the best of all time in 2001.

I don't see how anyone could think that's not true. It's been the case like 95% of the time.

The problem with that cliche is that it leaves out the other things you need to win a Super Bowl like a top offense, great QB and head coach and even good Special Teams.

Very rarely does a "once in a lifetime defense" come along and carry an entire team to a SB. 

I found this:  https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/2zltuy/offensive_and_defensive_ranks_for_superbowl/

Not very many SB winners were a team lopsided on one side of the ball. 

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem with that cliche is that it leaves out the other things you need to win a Super Bowl like a top offense, great QB and head coach and even good Special Teams.

Very rarely does a "once in a lifetime defense" come along and carry an entire team to a SB. 

I found this:  https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/2zltuy/offensive_and_defensive_ranks_for_superbowl/

Not very many SB winners were a team lopsided on one side of the ball. 

Definitely a lopsided team rarely wins the SB, if ever. A solid defense is the base for championship, without it it's almost impossible. However it's never enough on its own as a competitive offense is also a need but the level changes depending on the opponents. 

Chiefs had a solid defense for a SB run last year, however we have seen that a solid offense is also needed to win the big one. Now we have a better offense with a very doubtful defense that's not holding up. 

Definitely a lopsided team rarely wins the SB, if ever. A solid defense is the base for championship, without it it's almost impossible. However it's never enough on its own as a competitive offense is also a need but the level changes depending on the opponents.

Chiefs had a solid defense for a SB run last year, however we have seen that a solid offense is also needed to win the big one. Now we have a better offense with a very doubtful defense that's not holding up.

This is pretty much my point. This team is never good on both sides of the ball. We never have balanced teams.

With this perspective you could pretty much apply that to every draft pick no matter the position. Its all a "roll of the dice." They did their homework, and they took a chance. Having no hope it will work out is rather depressing, don't you think?

No, "depressing" is all of these Chiefs fans that blame the past for why they can't live in the now and can only pine for a future that never comes. Live in the now.

Great points.  I tend to agree, KC in the past is usually lopsided on one side of the ball with them finally have some talent to work with on offense this year.

The defense is pretty much the same group of players it was last year except for the injured E. Berry.  I know he's a tremendous player, but these struggles on defense CAN'T be because of a Safety.

It has to be the scheme they're running.

In 2015 and 2016 our defense was awful before the bye weeks.  I'm hoping they've figured it out.

Perhaps. Check back with me in ten years, or when Mahomes is out of the league, whichever happens first.

I've had to do a lot less backtracking here than most people.

That’s your issue. You lack humility.

But when you are always right, I guess humility is a trait you don’t need.

Great points. I tend to agree, KC in the past is usually lopsided on one side of the ball with them finally have some talent to work with on offense this year.

The defense is pretty much the same group of players it was last year except for the injured E. Berry. I know he's a tremendous player, but these struggles on defense CAN'T be because of a Safety.

It has to be the scheme they're running.

In 2015 and 2016 our defense was awful before the bye weeks. I'm hoping they've figured it out.

I would add DJ not being the same, which is a huge loss to us.

We don't get very much pressure on the QB either and that has to be a top priority in the next draft.

I think Tanoh is going to replace Dee Ford.

I would add DJ not being the same, which is a huge loss to us.

We don't get very much pressure on the QB either and that has to be a top priority in the next draft.

I think Tanoh is going to replace Dee Ford.

Agreed.  One thing that has me thinking is the fact that KC didn't really use C. Jones or T. Hill last year until about mid-season.  They finally started seeing more and more snaps each game.

I'd like to see that with KPass and Chesson going forward.

Hopefully Dee Ford and Hali can get going and contribute as well.

Sonder yesterday you said it was a fact that Alex has only played one good game and that was against New England. Now your acknowledging that your facts weren't quite right and saying he hasn't played well against any good defense. And at the same time saying defense wins championships and that New England has a good defense? Huh? Did a healthy Texans team have a good defense? Eagles?

I don't believe defense wins championships, otherwise the Chiefs would have at least 3 more Super Bowl titles, but I also think you can't be a bad defensive team and win a title.  Are we really a bad defense or have teams adjusted to us without Berry and now we have to make adjustments to that? We were fine in 2015 minus Berry, but we had Abdullah to fill in the Berry role. We do not have that player on the roster this time. So Sutton has to adjust from that 3 safety lineup he loves to use. He did against Dallas and it showed SOME promise especially vs the run. But we will see. Every team has its tipping point and player(s) it can't afford to lose because there isn't adequate depth behind it. Maybe Berry was it for us this year? It's not over yet and this defense has played well at times this year too.

As for this team being the same as we have been for 30 years. Not sure what teams you have been watching but far from it. Weve never had three explosive offensive players like Kelce, Hill and Hunt. 3 guys teams ALL have to game plan against. Just as we haven't had a QB situation with a very solid QB starting and an elite talent drafted in the top ten behind him. No doubt this franchise is in a bit of a transition. This is the last year for the old guard. Next season will very likely start an era where the old core leaders like Smith, Tamba and DJ will all be playing elsewhere. In the meantime weve struggled lately and do have to prove we have the personel to make adjustments. We clearly have one of the top 5 coaches in the NFL and by far the best coach in this division to do it. But we have also already played the toughest schedule in the NFL and beaten the number one seed in both the AFC and NFC. Our A game has proven to be pretty darn good and our record was hardly built against bad teams. There is no team in this league with better wins and thus it makes a threat in the playoffs if we get there. And that's the only thing I'm concerned about at this point.

We have NEVER won back to back division titles. We haven't been to the playoffs three years in a row in well over two decades. I would love to beat history and win those things and then we can take our chances in January. No doubt the way we have played of late puts all of that in question. Again we will see.

Sonder yesterday you said it was a fact that Alex has only played one good game and that was against New England. Now your acknowledging that your facts weren't quite right and saying he hasn't played well against any good defense. And at the same time saying defense wins championships and that New England has a good defense? Huh? Did a healthy Texans team have a good defense? Eagles?

I don't believe defense wins championships, otherwise the Chiefs would have at least 3 more Super Bowl titles, but I also think you can't be a bad defensive team and win a title.  Are we really a bad defense or have teams adjusted to us without Berry and now we have to make adjustments to that? We were fine in 2015 minus Berry, but we had Abdullah to fill in the Berry role. We do not have that player on the roster this time. So Sutton has to adjust from that 3 safety lineup he loves to use. He did against Dallas and it showed SOME promise especially vs the run. But we will see. Every team has its tipping point and player(s) it can't afford to lose because there isn't adequate depth behind it. Maybe Berry was it for us this year? It's not over yet and this defense has played well at times this year too.

As for this team being the same as we have been for 30 years. Not sure what teams you have been watching but far from it. Weve never had three explosive offensive players like Kelce, Hill and Hunt. 3 guys teams ALL have to game plan against. Just as we haven't had a QB situation with a very solid QB starting and an elite talent drafted in the top ten behind him. No doubt this franchise is in a bit of a transition. This is the last year for the old guard. Next season will very likely start an era where the old core leaders like Smith, Tamba and DJ will all be playing elsewhere. In the meantime weve struggled lately and do have to prove we have the personel to make adjustments. We clearly have one of the top 5 coaches in the NFL and by far the best coach in this division to do it. But we have also already played the toughest schedule in the NFL and beaten the number one seed in both the AFC and NFC. Our A game has proven to be pretty darn good and our record was hardly built against bad teams. There is no team in this league with better wins and thus it makes a threat in the playoffs if we get there. And that's the only thing I'm concerned about at this point.

We have NEVER won back to back division titles. We haven't been to the playoffs three years in a row in well over two decades. I would love to beat history and win those things and then we can take our chances in January. No doubt the way we have played of late puts all of that in question. Again we will see.

Cause you suck. 

Sonder yesterday you said it was a fact that Alex has only played one good game and that was against New England. Now your acknowledging that your facts weren't quite right and saying he hasn't played well against any good defense. And at the same time saying defense wins championships and that New England has a good defense? Huh? Did a healthy Texans team have a good defense? Eagles?

I don't believe defense wins championships, otherwise the Chiefs would have at least 3 more Super Bowl titles, but I also think you can't be a bad defensive team and win a title. Are we really a bad defense or have teams adjusted to us without Berry and now we have to make adjustments to that? We were fine in 2015 minus Berry, but we had Abdullah to fill in the Berry role. We do not have that player on the roster this time. So Sutton has to adjust from that 3 safety lineup he loves to use. He did against Dallas and it showed SOME promise especially vs the run. But we will see. Every team has its tipping point and player(s) it can't afford to lose because there isn't adequate depth behind it. Maybe Berry was it for us this year? It's not over yet and this defense has played well at times this year too.

As for this team being the same as we have been for 30 years. Not sure what teams you have been watching but far from it. Weve never had three explosive offensive players like Kelce, Hill and Hunt. 3 guys teams ALL have to game plan against. Just as we haven't had a QB situation with a very solid QB starting and an elite talent drafted in the top ten behind him. No doubt this franchise is in a bit of a transition. This is the last year for the old guard. Next season will very likely start an era where the old core leaders like Smith, Tamba and DJ will all be playing elsewhere. In the meantime weve struggled lately and do have to prove we have the personel to make adjustments. We clearly have one of the top 5 coaches in the NFL and by far the best coach in this division to do it. But we have also already played the toughest schedule in the NFL and beaten the number one seed in both the AFC and NFC. Our A game has proven to be pretty darn good and our record was hardly built against bad teams. There is no team in this league with better wins and thus it makes a threat in the playoffs if we get there. And that's the only thing I'm concerned about at this point.

We have NEVER won back to back division titles. We haven't been to the playoffs three years in a row in well over two decades. I would love to beat history and win those things and then we can take our chances in January. No doubt the way we have played of late puts all of that in question. Again we will see.

Cause you suck.

How much do you drink before you post?

The Chiefs are setting up to be another division round at best team.

It hurts, but it's the same team we've seen forever, but now worse because the defense has fallen off.

Alex Smith has been a total mirage this year, too. His one great game in New England made everyone think he turned the corner.

Facts are, if you take that game away, Alex has played poorly against all teams except the 23rd in points given up Raiders and no Watt/no Mercilus Texans who give up the 2nd most points in the league.

This team has major problems and people don't want to acknowledge them.

This guy knows what hes talking about. 

Few things here:

-defense wins championships. We don't have a good defense unfortunately. It's going to take probably 2 years to fix it.

-Alex hasn't played well against good defenses. They put 8 in the box and take away Kareem Hunt and then they we can't pass the ball against single coverage?

-Andy is getting outcoached. Steelers, Broncos and Cowboys all used to the same gameplan to shut this offense down and Andy hasn't found a way to adjust. Maybe because Alex can't adjust?

You are free to a different opinion, that's fine. I'm just saying..I've been watching this team religiously for 30 years and I'm seeing the same problems that the Chiefs have always had.

This, and anybody who disputes these factual points is blind.

That’s your issue. You lack humility.

But when you are always right, I guess humility is a trait you don’t need.

I allow people the privilege of maintaining their own opinions, and I could make an argument that I give more respect here than I receive, so I'm not sure where my humility comes into question here. I merely call people out when they use spurious grounds as the foundation of their arguments. 

Everyone benefits from humility, both their own and that of others. Everyone needs it, even if some happen to be better prognosticators. But to the extent that I could be perceived as being more humble, I may not be as humble as I want to be, and could work on it.

When you judge my character in this way, please consider the context in which I was answering, and the person to whom I was addressing. Perhaps what I need to work on more than humility is this tendency to seek and embrace conflict. I've considered not participating in message boards as a solution to this issue.

(This is the most intriguing post I've read on a Chiefs message board since I started following the Chiefs, and strangely, it has nothing to do with football.)

Archived