With NFL short on cover corners, why is Brandon Flowers still free?

Interesting read. Especially, the attitude part.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pat-kirwan/24591553/with-nfl-short-on-cover-corners-why-is-brandon-flowers-still-free

Every June, a few players are released who appear to be as good as any free agents from earlier in the offseason. The Patriots' grabbing jettisoned Chargers safety Rodney Harrison comes to mind. He led an all-rookie secondary to a Super Bowl victory over the Eagles.

Last week, the Chiefs cut cornerback Brandon Flowers. In a league starved for cover corners, it seemed he would be gobbled up in a few minutes, but he's still free. Ten teams were rumored to be interested, but only a few were identified.

Interest and commitment to signing him are two different things. There is a progression to resolving his situation, and it isn't as smooth a road as one would assume.

Step 1 -- Does he make a team better? While there are indications he may not be a top-flight corner, teams looking for a starter that have the cap space have Flowers on their radar. I found seven teams fitting those qualifications (in alphabetical order): 49ersJaguarsJets,PanthersRaidersSteelers and Titans. Note the Falcons -- where former Chiefs GM Scott Pioli is now an assistant GM -- are not on the list.

Step 2 -- Review his 2013 season: Why did the Chiefs release him? One teammate said Flowers was the club's best tackler, but his current salary (his cap hit was a reported $10.5M for 2014) is out of line for any team to match this upcoming season, so Flowers must come to grips with possibly getting half of what he was making in Kansas City amid concerns about where he fits.

One opposing coach who schemed against him twice said, "[Flowers] appeared out of gas.DeSean Jackson exposed his lack of ability to run with speed receivers, and he probably belongs as a slot nickel and not an outside player."

Other evaluators expressed concerns about Flowers' maturity level. A sampling:

One coach: "He wants to be the leader of the secondary, but he belongs in the nickel position and he's more of a zone cover two guy than a man-to-man guy, and that will be a problem with his ego."

Another position coach: "He tends to blame the coaches when things go bad."

A scout: "Flowers wasn't particularly good to Romeo Crennel or Emmitt Thomas."

Those comments raise doubts about coachability which need to be resolved in a day-long interview.

A former teammate said, "There was a time when Flowers was the man. Now he's kind of out a gas." But another coach said, "I wish we signed him, because he is an upgrade."

There is some debate about how many big plays he gave up last season, but the range is between 9 and 13.

Step 3 -- Determine what he is: Rather than a starter, signs point to Flowers as a nickel corner who probably belongs in underneath zone coverage and not isolated on speed receivers who prefer vertical routes.

Step 4 -- Does he fit in the locker room? One former teammate described Flowers as a bit of a loner. It doesn't appear he would come to a new team and try and dominate the locker room. He was one of only two players who didn't show up for the spring offseason program in Kansas City and he has lost a lot of money by being released. He appears to be more of a one-year rental who is young enough (28) to reinvent his career with a solid season.

Step 5 -- Bring him in for a workout and interview: If he declines, walk away or make a low-ball offer and hold your ground. Despite his perception among some observers, some teams will see him as an upgrade and the pool of free agents isn't very strong at this point.

Yes. He is not going to make what he did IMO. I still think he can start in the right scheme, but he has got to take less money. And how can San Fran be so stacked with talent and draft picks, but have that much cap space. It's a shame they are in such a tough division. I hope Denver signs him and over pays. Those guys have one or two years and will crash when Manning retires.

The reason Brandon Flowers is still free is because he wants to be.  He can shop and get the best deal for himself.  At the same time he doesn't have to go to camp.  The demise of Brandon Flowers is being greatly exaggerated.

I personally think we have entered the age of the big corners.    I think 5'9" is just too short.       Don't get me wrong.  Flowers was a valuable member of the Chiefs.   Great tackler.  But I thought his coverage skills have eroded.   Like people here have already written.  he can sign when he agrees to take less money.

Flowers has never been a cover corner and has always struggled in man coverage. Whether it was against small fast guys like Desean Jackson, Jacoby Ford, or Mario Manningham or, big guys like Brandon Marshall, Andre Johnson, and Vincent Jackson. He just needs to play in a zone system where he could thrive. Somewhere like Tampa, Chicago, or Pittsburgh would be good for him. He'll get a job soon.

Brandon Flowers is done as far as I am concerned.  All you have to do is look at the first half against the Cowboys, Dez Bryant took Flowers' lunch money in the first half.  The second half was a different story though, Dez had a couple of BIG drops (Flowers was still guarding him with about as much success in the 2nd half as in the 1st half).  Opposing teams knew that the weak links in the Chiefs secondary were Cooper (rookie) & Flowers. He can get a job somewhere, just not in Kansas City, thank goodness.

Brandon Flowers is done as far as I am concerned.  All you have to do is look at the first half against the Cowboys, Dez Bryant took Flowers' lunch money in the first half.  The second half was a different story though, Dez had a couple of BIG drops (Flowers was still guarding him with about as much success in the 2nd half as in the 1st half).  Opposing teams knew that the weak links in the Chiefs secondary were Cooper (rookie) & Flowers. He can get a job somewhere, just not in Kansas City, thank goodness.

saying a CB is done and using a performance against Dez Bryant as an example doesnt hold much water with me. He'll get a job but it'll be on a 1 year deal but in the right system I can see him making another Pro Bowl., he has a few yers left in him

It's sad so few appreciate what a great player BF was for KC.  The rules have inhibited him drastically.  He's far more physical, than all of these "he doesn't fit the scheme" folks think.  He was a great CB tackler.  Though not fast, he was smart and adjusted to the ball better than most.  

IDK what happened last year  He was off, and I cannot offer excuses.  

The bottom line was his salary.

I understand why the Chiefs let him go.  Still, every Chiefs fan should honor him,

Brandon Flowers was much like Deron Cherry, a great Chief during a bad, bad, time.  

I wish him well and hope he sticks a middle finger somewhere near KC.

It's sad so few appreciate what a great player BF was for KC. The rules have inhibited him drastically. He's far more physical, than all of these "he doesn't fit the scheme" folks think. He was a great CB tackler. Though not fast, he was smart and adjusted to the ball better than most.

IDK what happened last year He was off, and I cannot offer excuses.

The bottom line was his salary.

I understand why the Chiefs let him go. Still, every Chiefs fan should honor him,

Brandon Flowers was much like Deron Cherry, a great Chief during a bad, bad, time.

I wish him well and hope he sticks a middle finger somewhere near KC.

One of my favorite chiefs.. Loved flowers.

Archived