It's time to roll with Mahomes

This team is finished with Alex Smith. We've lost 4 of our last 5 and Alex has not been able to play well in 4 of those games.

The same blue print that the Steelers used to destroy Alex and this offense has been used in 3 of our last 4 games and there's no answer for it bc Alex can't take advantage of single coverage.

This offense needs a spark. It has weapons and the OL only gave up 1 sack today.

Look at what happened in Houston when Watson took over? Come on Andy...the time is now.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would not do it. Throwing a rookie in on a struggling team this late in the season could stunt his growth. The Bills had a pretty solid but not a stud QB in Taylor. That benched him for the rookie and Peterman three what, 4 picks today? Now what do they do? Bench him and kill his confidence or leave him in and kill his confidence.

I think we would be better on offense with Mahomes, but with our D struggling, our run game struggling, our line struggling... Let the kid watch and learn IMO.

The only plus would be he gets a pretty easy stretch and should get some playoff experience. Smith is going to the Pro Bowl again. He isn’t our biggest problem. Stay the course.

It's not just Smith, the Chiefs have supbar WRs (Hill is a great deep threat but he isn't a stick-mover), and Hunt hasn't had 100 yards since week 5.  It also doesn't help that Andy Reid is so involved in the offense - he is mediocre.  The Steelers showed everyone how to stop the KC offense, and it will only get worse as weather gets colder.  It's actually a tough call, I guess the ONLY reason you don't put Mahomes in is if you think Alex will lead KC to a Super Bowl win this season.  If you don't believe that then there is ZERO reason to play Smith at this point.

It's not just Smith, the Chiefs have supbar WRs (Hill is a great deep threat but he isn't a stick-mover), and Hunt hasn't had 100 yards since week 5. It also doesn't help that Andy Reid is so involved in the offense - he is mediocre. The Steelers showed everyone how to stop the KC offense, and it will only get worse as weather gets colder. It's actually a tough call, I guess the ONLY reason you don't put Mahomes in is if you think Alex will lead KC to a Super Bowl win this season. If you don't believe that then there is ZERO reason to play Smith at this point.

Hunt will be a star. Reid never gets a run game rythym established. And oline is straight garbage.

Hill will be a stud. He needs help opposite him.

As for Alex, well, he’s showing his stripes.

Andy dont have the balls to play him. If they pull another few games like we have seen the last 4 games I'm all in on tje switch. What in the hell do they have to lose? Freakin rookies are balling all over the place. And if nothing else they at least get a head start on patrick getting better. This shit is sickening.

Freakin rookies are balling all over the place.

Certainly you don't mean Trubisky (drafted second-overall), and certainly not Peterman (drafted late). Kizer is winless, and Beathard hasn't played in a situation where you can fairly evaluate his actual contributions to his team unless you look over a lot of film. Are you going to credit Watson with career-spanning talent when so many of his touchdowns were 50/50 balls thrown to a top-shelf receiver?

Your statement is misleading. The one 2017 rookie quarterback that has flashed the ability to have a future in the NFL was surrounded by a very talented offensive supporting cast.

Certainly you don't mean Trubisky (drafted second-overall), and certainly not Peterman (drafted late). Kizer is winless, and Beathard hasn't played in a situation where you can fairly evaluate his actual contributions to his team unless you look over a lot of film. Are you going to credit Watson with career-spanning talent when so many of his touchdowns were 50/50 balls thrown to a top-shelf receiver?

Your statement is misleading. The one 2017 rookie quarterback that has flashed the ability to have a future in the NFL was surrounded by a very talented offensive supporting cast.

Kelce, Hill, Hunt. That's as good of a trio as there is in the NFL.

They need a freaking spark. Again with all the flap about how great the rookie is with his arm etc.  It's about time to move.  Alex is smashed so far against the ceiling there is nothing left.  Rookie comment is covering the last few years... You can stat it up all day long.  They sold the farm for Mahomes and it is getting REAL close to time for playing him.  They are spinning their wheels if they keep on the same path the rest of the season.  Freakin wentz is ballin his ass off.  Took his lumps last year.  Give mahomes the field time, if he is the next man for the org.  Get this thing moving or once again the chiefs will be behind the curve. 

If the chefs drop 2 more games it is time to move,  FREAKIN afc west door prize on the line or not.  I would much rather them actually go out teaching this kid on the field than ohh you watch how ol Alex dissects the defense here and matriculates the ball down the field.  Isn't he great in how he protects the ball??

It will be interesting to see who will come beating down the door to get alex on their team.

Unfortunately teams are just going to zone us for now on. Smith is afraid to throw down field into coverage. And afraid to squeeze balls in underneath.

So teams will sit in a heavy underneath zone to protect against the run and all or short passes.

yep, and Andy Reid won't change anything to counter it.

Kelce, Hill, Hunt. That's as good of a trio as there is in the NFL.

And how do the offensive line, the Chiefs WR2 (whoever starts across from Hill), and the Chiefs' fifth offensive starting skill player compare to those of the rest of the league? Further, Hill's a WR2, and doesn't belong in conversations comparing him to the likes of Julio Jones, A.J. Green, or Antonio Brown. Kelce's having a great impact. Hunt isn't consistently getting holes to run through, and his ceiling is being capped by the offensive line.

It will be interesting to see who will come beating down the door to get alex on their team.

Maybe a team with an actual offensive line and a receiver corps that has four players worth mentioning. It would be interesting to see Smith play with a talented supporting cast instead of this Potato Soup with Herbes de Kelce.

I sucks losing to a team that had only one win at the half way mark.. that's ugly enough in an of itself, but the reality of the situation is not what all these emotional posters are putting out there. Yes Andy has a hand in the blame bucket for getting too cute occasionally, and being too predictable sometimes with the running game (I swear him n coaches like b Arians do this on purpose to say running ain't there today the short pass game is now our running game)... Alex definitely has a hand in as well, but he also singlehandedly kept us in that game. Truth is as a team I saw improvement from our last outing. A lot of the shit this board has been clamoring for came to pass.. rotated dj out with kpl.. k pl n rags looked good. Gaines was better on the outside than hacker, but I'd play Mitchell (It's not even close in my eyes)...k pass got some looks, he'll I even saw chesson in on offense. I understand the excitement of the potential n the unknown rook is making mouths water with anticipation, but not everything can comedown to this one football season.. would Rogers be what he is now without having to sit behind farve for all those years? Remember people the disparity in this league is second to none n its also a very emotional game.. if a "lesser" team has its dobber down more than you do, or plays with more passion, n urgency, and you can't adjust to that level of intensity you are going to lose 4 of 5.. this team (coaches included) bought the fn hype after the first 5 weeks.. everyone saying we were the best team, most talent, best coaching.. No matter what you doing in life if you think you have arrived, I'm here to tell you, you had better get that ass back to the drawing board n stick to the kind of grinding mentality that got you there.. this team needs some aggression. We have good players, we have good coaches, do we have holes, sure every team does, especially this time of year. We are capable of beating any team in the league, n as this game showed us today we are also capable of looking to any team.

They need a freaking spark. Again with all the flap about how great the rookie is with his arm etc.  It's about time to move.  Alex is smashed so far against the ceiling there is nothing left.  Rookie comment is covering the last few years... You can stat it up all day long.  They sold the farm for Mahomes and it is getting REAL close to time for playing him.  They are spinning their wheels if they keep on the same path the rest of the season.  Freakin wentz is ballin his ass off.  Took his lumps last year.  Give mahomes the field time, if he is the next man for the org.  Get this thing moving or once again the chiefs will be behind the curve. 

If the chefs drop 2 more games it is time to move,  FREAKIN afc west door prize on the line or not.  I would much rather them actually go out teaching this kid on the field than ohh you watch how ol Alex dissects the defense here and matriculates the ball down the field.  Isn't he great in how he protects the ball??

As for the thought process about rookie QB's playing over the past few years I disagree. They've all been up and down and none of them stick out to me. None of them have separated themselves as possibly being the future standard for QB's. My opinion, but there you have it.

As for staring Mahomes, as a fan I would love it. But as for the franchise, I don't know if it would help short term or long term. Mahomes future is more important then my instant gratification of wanting something different then Alex Smith. I've posted a couple times on here that the cover 2 and cover 3 defenses is what is giving this offense major problems. Will switching to Mahomes change that for 2017 season? IF not, then there is no point in switching QB's. Best we can hope for is Alex to play some good games and hope we can get some draft picks out of him. If the Chiefs bench him now, they would have to give up draft picks to get rid of him. My opinion for what its worth.

If the Chiefs bench him now, they would have to give up draft picks to get rid of him. My opinion for what its worth.

This is a good point but, when you say give up draft picks.  Are you talking potential ones, or is this in the contract?

I'm not sure his value is all that high.

yep, and Andy Reid won't change anything to counter it.

What can Andy do? Teams are stacking the box with 8 players. That's begging the QB to challenge them. We saw quite a few WR routes downfield and Alex either won't take them or he can't make the plays.

Andy is so hamstrung with Alex that it's impossible to set up functional plays anymore.

Andy had Kelce throw a downfield pass bc his QB one hopped multiple passes that Eli Manning had no trouble with.

It's the QB!!!

I wouldn't make switch. But I would have put Mahomes in the game in the 4th quarter yesterday. He probably can't totally grasp much of the playbook yet, but Andy could play call to his strengths which the Giants would not have been ready for. We needed a spark for the games most important position and instead we got a huge INT. And Alex struggled big time with wind with his average arm anyway.

For this season overall though, I'd roll with Alex until we are eliminated. But Andy needs to have a plan in place to get Mahomes in their in situations where our offense was so woeful and QB play so suspect.

What can Andy do? Teams are stacking the box with 8 players. That's begging the QB to challenge them. We saw quite a few WR routes downfield and Alex either won't take them or he can't make the plays.

Andy is so hamstrung with Alex that it's impossible to set up functional plays anymore.

Andy had Kelce throw a downfield pass bc his QB one hopped multiple passes that Eli Manning had no trouble with.

It's the QB!!!

I don't disagree with that or any criticism of Reid and Smith at this point.

However, while I understand Smith being Smith limits some of the plays, Reid is still way too predictable and gets cute with trick plays that don't work.

Yesterday, on first down, every single time it was Kareem Hunt up the middle and the Giants knew it every time.

2nd down, short pass, either a bubble screen or Smith threw it short to a RB for minimal gain or incomplete.  So maybe here is where Smith is the culprit.

3rd down, same type of play call, draw to Hunt up the middle or another short slant to our 3rd string TE who can't get open.

I wouldn't make switch. But I would have put Mahomes in the game in the 4th quarter yesterday. He probably can't totally grasp much of the playbook yet, but Andy could play call to his strengths which the Giants would not have been ready for. We needed a spark for the games most important position and instead we got a huge INT. And Alex struggled big time with wind with his average arm anyway.

For this season overall though, I'd roll with Alex until we are eliminated. But Andy needs to have a plan in place to get Mahomes in their in situations where our offense was so woeful and QB play so suspect.

Dangerous game to play.

If you make the switch, you don't go back unless the QB bombs his opportunity like Nate Peterman did yesterday.

Archived