It's time to roll with Mahomes

Dangerous game to play.

If you make the switch, you don't go back unless the QB bombs his opportunity like Nate Peterman did yesterday.

I think Alex could mentally handle it. Again this is all situational and for a short period. I'd say Alex is our starter but we needed a spark and thought Pats skill set could give it. I do not think this team would be better by making switch all together. Alex is mentally tough and very capable of coming back strong even after a putrid effort.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been mostly on Alex's side in a lot of QB conversations. He is what he is, not as bad as a lot of people think, but not top tier either. Right now, his footwork and pocket presence is as bad as I have seen from him, or for that matter any veteran quarterback. I am on the Mahomes train and ready to leave the station. It's time in my opinion.

I can't even entertain the thought of switching QB's at this point. Not because I don't want it. Because every single one of us knows full well they will never pull a proven QB (even a struggling one) in the midst of a potential playoff hunt. Just won't happen.

I kept saying during the 5 game win streak, that KC was winning with "smoke and mirrors".

Pitt put an end to it all, with a gamplan that included physical line play on both sides, and zone defense.

Reid and Smith have yet to figure it out.

You don't win 5 games in a row in this league against that type of schedule with smoke and mirrors. But you are correct defensively teams are playing a lot less man and much more cover 2 and 3 which we have not come close to solving. We were torching man coverage with big plays.

This is kind when teams in MLB figured out the Royals were sitting on first pitch fastballs and we stopped getting them. And went into a massive offensive funk.

Andy has his hands full solving this with such inexperienced skill position players and a QB struggling at the moment.

This is a good point but, when you say give up draft picks.  Are you talking potential ones, or is this in the contract?

I'm not sure his value is all that high.

I was being snarky. I don't think they could trade him at this point. If he doesn't improve over the rest of the season he is going to be cut and picked up by a team that needs a stop gap. If he improves we could potentially trade him in a QB needy market.

I kept saying during the 5 game win streak, that KC was winning with "smoke and mirrors".

Pitt put an end to it all, with a gamplan that included physical line play on both sides, and zone defense.

Reid and Smith have yet to figure it out.

It was not smoke and mirrors. It is Andy's inability to adjust to what teams are throwing at them. The Chiefs were using their strengths to beat teams. Pittsburgh did what they have done for 3 straight meetings. Other teams took notice that Pittsburgh has the Chefs number and they are replicating in their own ways with the pieces they have. Andy and Alex have not been able to overcome it for a variety or reasons.  

It's the same recipe teams are using against the Raiders. The Chiefs had the blue print for beating the crap out of them after 7 straight wins. Now teams play the Raiders like the Chiefs used to and the Raiders look like an average team, instead of the AFC preseason favorite that everyone thought they were. Its called studying your opponent and exposing their weaknesses. All teams do it and some just do it better than others. The Chiefs fucking suck at it right now.

mahomes MAKES those throws that Smith can't.  Simple.   Defenses have schemed our schemes.

Mahomes can make throws Alex does not have the arm strength to make. And thats why in that situation where the wind was absolutely brutal and we needed any edge in arm strength we could get, Mahomes should have gotten in the game. But overall Alex clearly gives us the best chance to win right now because he has solid skills, mobility and a much better grasp of the offense. 

I see no reason why mahomes couldnt play like russel wilson.

Wilson came into the league two years older after being in two completely different offensive systems including a pro style offense he lined up under center. Mahomes didn't even start playing football in high school and just turned 22 last week. It all matters.

Wilson came into the league two years older after being in two completely different offensive systems including a pro style offense he lined up under center. Mahomes didn't even start playing football in high school and just turned 22 last week. It all matters.

Not saying this year or even the next. But physically i think they are real similar.

Not saying this year or even the next. But physically i think they are real similar.

My bad, I took that statement a different way. Mahomes has major skills and I suspect he will be a 4000 yard passer early in his career. We will see a lot more mistakes and a lot more big plays. Won't be boring!

I see no reason why mahomes couldnt play like russel wilson.

Russell Wilson had a much better defense. I had agreed about trying Mchomes, but I think that was just emotion. Having thought about it, I'm not so sure it would be a great idea. Most teams that are successful with rookie QB's have a solid defense to help them. I think we should just roll the Smith and let the chips fall where they may. It's probably not going to end well with Smith, but I don't want to damage the young QB's psyche . 

Mchomes could also provide a spark, but I agree with Bstud, it's a tough call. I'm leaning toward not doing it. 

Russell Wilson had a much better defense. I had agreed about trying Mchomes, but I think that was just emotion. Having thought about it, I'm not so sure it would be a great idea. Most teams that are successful with rookie QB's have a solid defense to help them. I think we should just roll the Smith and let the chips fall where they may. It's probably not going to end well with Smith, but I don't want to damage the young QB's psyche .

Mchomes could also provide a spark, but I agree with Bstud, it's a tough call. I'm leaning toward not doing it.

That kids attitude and makeup are just as special as his athletic gifts. That is something that is evident in his words and body language. He is going to be special.

You play him if we continue to lose.

Let him learn and take it in to the offseason.

That kids attitude and makeup are just as special as his athletic gifts. That is something that is evident in his words and body language. He is going to be special.

You play him if we continue to lose.

Let him learn and take it in to the offseason.

Who is this Mchomes you are talking about?

What can Andy do? Teams are stacking the box with 8 players. That's begging the QB to challenge them. We saw quite a few WR routes downfield and Alex either won't take them or he can't make the plays.

Just because you say it doesn't mean it's true. This weekend against the Giants, NFL's Next-Gen Stats pegged Kareem Hunt as going against eight-in-the-box (or more) on only 11.11% of his carries. When Denver stacked the box against Hunt to the tune of 54.55% of Hunt's carries, the Chiefs' offense put up 22 points; most teams haven't managed that sort of scoring against the Broncos.

It's a shame that people hate Smith so much they just throw out outlandish claims with no proof. Thank you, Next-Gen Stats: You're proving that people have built an entire narrative off of "facts" that aren't even true.

Myth busted. 

If Smith behind the scenes looks defeated or acts defeated, move on now. But as others are saying, if he is upset but determined, this is his year. Let Mahomes learn. Get reps if possible, but there are other issues we'd like to iron out for this team that will help Mahomes later. He can benefit, but unless we're out, put the guy in who has more experience and fix playcalling to adapt to the defenses approach to us.

Mahomes can make throws Alex does not have the arm strength to make. And thats why in that situation where the wind was absolutely brutal and we needed any edge in arm strength we could get, Mahomes should have gotten in the game. But overall Alex clearly gives us the best chance to win right now because he has solid skills, mobility and a much better grasp of the offense. 

No offense but how do you know how much of this offense Mahomes has or hasn't digested? Because he didn't run a complex system in college? Because he is young? Because he hasn't played in the NFL? So all these things mean he CAN'T right now? Why? Why can he not come in and capably run Reids offense.

He was an honor student in college and by all accounts has busted his ass in the film room and on the practice field. So again... Why do you keep talking about how he isn't ready to run Reids offense?

No offense but how do you know how much of this offense Mahomes has or hasn't digested? Because he didn't run a complex system in college? Because he is young? Because he hasn't played in the NFL? So all these things mean he CAN'T right now? Why? Why can he not come in and capably run Reids offense.

He was an honor student in college and by all accounts has busted his ass in the film room and on the practice field. So again... Why do you keep talking about how he isn't ready to run Reids offense?

Cause that is how we, the nfl forum experts roll. Buzz words and phrases, make us sound like we know what we are talking about. But if things dont go as predicted, it is usually forgotten. Just like nfl experts on TV.

We obviously have 2 camps right now. The let him marinate ones, and the let him learn it on the field crowd. Because we don't have much to lose. Neither have a damn clue how it can turn out. But cases are made.

In my "expert" opinion, it's bout time to play the man.

A lot of things add up to my OPINION here. First is just pure logic. VERY young kid that just turned 22 last month. Hes never lined up under center. Never had to call plays in the huddle. His very limited time playing football at any level means matters. Klif Kingbury seemed adamant he would need some time before he's really ready. People that cover the Chiefs on a daily basis say it's obvious Alex is still way ahead in grasp of offense. And add to that the reality Pat needed some major work on footwork and pocket presence as he had a major issue with drifting. Most importantly I trust Andy Reid to know when it's go time for the kid. Andy has proven he is not afraid to swap QBs if it gives team the best chance to win.

Try to understand one thing. I'm completely ready to unleash the kid and live with the obvious growing pains that likely come with it. It's like having this great Christmas present under the tree that you can't play with yet.

I can't wait really for what will be a process we have not really seen here in my lifetime. If we only win 6 games next year with a surge of young talent and a 22 year old QB who's improving his QB IQ every week and has his talent. I can very much embrace that. Heck I'm flat excited about it.

I know others on this board especially will be rolling out laughable bust card with every INT though. LOL

I also believe Alex will rebound and gives the old guard it's best chance to get back to January and try to prove itself. If it becomes obvious we aren't going to be a playoff team or that offense isn't going to rebound under Alex, then maybe it would be time to get the new era started. This team has had its chances under the current core 30 plus year olds on their last leg. They rebuilt this organization into a solid consistent playoff team from the bowels of the league. And while it looks like this era is now dying a slow death, I'm still content to see it through knowing we are going to see something far different very soon. In other words I don't want to rush Pat in there before he's ready. These veterans probably deserve the best chance to win now. Whoever gives them that should be playing.

Archived