So, what do we root for now?

A complete meltdown so Hunt steps in and forces Reid to make changes across the board with his assistants?

Is firing Andy Reid completely out of the question? 

Do we instead root for a complete turn around to win the division, host a playoff game and go from there hoping for the best?

Let me make a few things clear:

1)   After yesterday's complete disaster, I don't have any confidence this team can win another game this season.  If they can't beat a 1-8 after having 2 weeks to prepare, what can they do any different the rest of the way?

2)  Before any of us, including me, say "No way Clark Hunt fires Andy Reid" let's try to remember that John Dorsey was fired.  Reasons why are still not quite known, we all can take our own guesses:  Cap management, bad contracts, too many misses in the draft, Alex Smith extension, etc,.  My point here is with Clark Hunt, maybe he held Dorsey accountable for the PIT loss in the playoffs last year and fired him over it.  The things I did hear about Hunt at the end of last year is that he was furious over losing the playoff game at home.  Now, it is way more realistic that Andy Reid is not fired.  Which brings me to my next point.

3)  If a collapse does happen, which to me includes limping to a division title and being a 1 and done again in the playoffs, IMO Hunt needs to step in and force Reid to make changes across the board that include giving up offensive play-calling and firing the entire defensive staff of coaches.

I know it's easy for all of us today to say "none of that will happen and nothing will ever change" and I totally understand that POV, but I still think Hunt cares more than a lot of people think he does and is more involved than alot of the fans and media give him credit for. 

At this point, I'm almost pulling for a collapse so changes on defense are for sure made, I just fear they'll end up 10-6 and we'll go into next season with Sutton and Reid calling plays again.

Good post, but I don’t think firing Andy Reid is the answer...yet. I think this team will at least get to 8 wins this year, which could get us into the playoffs, with the outcome being the same as before. The more immediate and necessary response would be to strip Reid of his play calling duties, which in turn would likely upset Reid. I think you start there and then look to upgrade the DC position in the offseason.

Root for winning the division.  Root against The Chargers and Raiders whenever they play.   It's pretty simple.  Winning the division, no matter the record, is paramount.  

Don't worry that winning the Division will lock them into no change mode, and a false sense that everything is OK.   We won the division and had a bye last year, and still pulled off an enormous changes in selling the house for our QBOTF, because they knew we had gone as far as we could with Alex.  And played the draft like a fiddle to get targeted players.

You root for us to win the games and for anyone else to lose. It isn't that hard. We don't have a good draft pick in the second round and we don't have any in the first. We're not going to benefit from losing there.

The quarterback is going to be switched, so there's no reason to worry about Smith winning too much. I really don't think Sutton is gone even if we lose. I think he should, especially if we lose, but maybe that's just my pessimism. If we lose out, they'll be enough things wrong about this team that I don't feel confident that his assistants will be gone.

You root for us to win the games and for anyone else to lose. It isn't that hard. We don't have a good draft pick in the second round and we don't have any in the first. We're not going to benefit from losing there.

The quarterback is going to be switched, so there's no reason to worry about Smith winning too much. I really don't think Sutton is gone even if we lose. I think he should, especially if we lose, but maybe that's just my pessimism. If we lose out, they'll be enough things wrong about this team that I don't feel confident that his assistants will be gone.

I don't think Sutton will be here after this year. He hasn't been extended, and Reid can't continue to let him stand there on the sideline with that "did I remember to wear my Depends today?" look. The game has passed Sutton by. This defense has zero swag, and defense has to have it. They are a direct reflection of their coordinator. Stoic...emotionless. We need fire and tenacity on defense. We need a defense that attacks.

I don't think Sutton will be here after this year. He hasn't been extended, and Reid can't continue to let him stand there on the sideline with that "did I remember to wear my Depends today?" look. The game has passed Sutton by. This defense has zero swag, and defense has to have it. They are a direct reflection of their coordinator. Stoic...emotionless. We need fire and tenacity on defense. We need a defense that attacks.

Stupid me. I wasn't thinking about the contract. I thought we'd have to let him go. But if it's a matter of extension, that makes it more likely for him to leave. I just thought that in the last six games we would pick it up and then they would stick with him. But I did say that we would stick with them even if we lost and I think that is wrong.

Archived