The day excuses died for the Kansas City Chiefs

When I’m helping a client in a child protection case who is on a case plan, or criminal defendant who has plead guilty and is on probation, I have a rule. Well, I have many rules, but one rule that I’m going to be writing about today so we’ll just say one rule, because that’s more dramatic. So I have one rule. That rule is “remove all excuses.”

By that, I mean that I don’t want my client, when it’s all said and done, to have ANY excuse for failing in a case plan or on probation. I make lists for them. I reach out and work with social services and probation on their behalf. I check in regularly to prod them along. I want to make things so simple and (relatively) easy on my clients that if they fail, at the end of the day, they have absolutely no one to blame but themselves. I do this because if people have a reason to blame others, they often will. And blaming others generally leads to failure. I want no excuses available.

Why am I talking about this? Because on Sunday, the Chiefs were stripped away of any possible excuses and left with no one to point the finger at but themselves.

The New York Giants are an objectively bad football team. The week prior to playing the Chiefs, they lost to the previously winless 49ers by two scores. The week before, they got absolutely pasted by the Los Angeles Rams 51-17. They are missing virtually their entire WR group. Their running game is poor. Eli Manning is a shadow of what he was at his best. Their offensive line is a joke. Their defense can’t stop anyone. They’re a bad, bad, bad team to the point that their own fans and writers predicted a Chiefs blowout.

On top of all that, the Chiefs were coming off a bye week, with time to get healthy and dive deep into the issues that have plagued them recently. We all know Andy Reid is 3,483,908-2 after bye weeks (give or take). While they still had some injuries to deal with, the offensive line was as healthy as its been all season.

Yet the Chiefs lost.

Kelce says Chiefs have to man up usa_today_10425977.jpg Brad Penner-USA TODAY Sports

Nobody is pointing fingers, but guys have to get called out and get told, you know what I mean?”

I lost count of the number of times the Giants (truly a horrible team) tried to hand the game over to the Chiefs. And make no mistake, they played very, very poorly. Eli completed barely 50% of his passes.

Yet the Chiefs lost.

The Giants’ running game averaged a paltry 3.5 yards per carry.

Yet the Chiefs lost.

The Giants turned the ball over on an AWFUL trick play.

Yet the Chiefs lost.

The Giants, at one point in the game, had SEVEN DRIVES IN A ROW that ended in either a punt or on downs.

Yet the Chiefs lost.

During that stretch of SEVEN DRIVES IN A ROW the Giants had to punt or gave the ball over on downs, four of those drives were three-and-outs.

Yet the Chiefs lost.

The Giants scored nine points in regulation.

Yet the Chiefs lost.

In short, the New Giants played a truly abysmal game of football. They were utterly lost out there, looking completely incompetent the majority of the game. The only way the Chiefs could lose that game was by looking completely incompetent for an even GREATER portion of the game. And the Chiefs somehow rose to the challenge.

The Chiefs have no excuses. There is absolutely no reason the Chiefs should lose to the Giants on ANY Sunday, let alone a Sunday in which the Giants played... well, like the Giants. The Chiefs were a legitimately bad football team on Sunday.

And the worst part is, this SEEMS like it’s perhaps the culmination of cracks in the foundation that have been showing for a while. Loss to Pittsburgh? Bah, the Chiefs were due for a bad game and Pittsburgh has their number. Loss to Oakland? Thursday night on the road! Bad calls! Freak plays! Loss to Dallas? Looking ahead to the bye week! Dallas is good when healthy!

The Alex Smith era is dying a slow death usa_today_10425989.jpg Brad Penner-USA TODAY Sports

Is it time?

But now, the Chiefs are at a point where there’s no other explanation other than “we are currently bad.” While I can look back at the 5-0 start and say, “OK, we know this roster CAN do well,” it feels like a distant dream beating multiple playoff contenders in a row.

I tend to be a positive fan. I want to believe things can turn around (and, in the parity-driven NFL, it’s absolutely not too late). However, on Sunday all the worst fears Chiefs fans have about this team seemed to come to fruition.

The Giants made things as easy on the Chiefs as humanly possible in an NFL game. And the Chiefs still couldn’t walk out of New York with a win.

In front of all of us, over the course of 60 excruciating minutes of football, every excuse we (or at least I) have made for this team over the last month was taken away. The Chiefs have gone from “Super Bowl contender” to “good team” to “good team that’s struggling” to “team that doesn’t look good.” The only reason they’re up in the AFC West is because the Chargers started the year horribly and Oakland/Denver are currently self-destructing. But at this point, today, there’s not a team in the league I’m NOT afraid of beating the Chiefs.

The time for excuses has ended. The Giants were kind enough to take all of them away. Now I guess we just... wait and see what happens next.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2017/11/20/16678280/the-day-excuses-died-for-the-kansas-city-chiefs

Great Read and they have no excuses . they are a team on the decline and an embarrassment. Its typical of this team over the many years and Coaches/GM/s to give hope yet tear it away when Hope is peaking and those who  were cautiously optimistic became optimistic . Like you said Nate its the Battered wife syndrome and we have been beatn again.

I had them at 11-5 they have one more lose  to go but I didn't have them losing in such pathetic fashion. I very easily could see them losing the next 4 out of 6. If they  become an 8-8 team at years end  Heads should roll. I'm glad I didn't buy into  the thought of a late season game and spend good $$ on a poor team. Am I a fan?.. of course I have no option but my hope is lost. They broke me  once again.

I am a battered wife

I enjoyed reading the OP. And I agree with pretty much all of it. Some would say "our defense did it's job"!. The Giants are a horrible team who couldn't get out of their own way for the most part. How much effort did our defense need? We got no sacks and there were times Manning, with some third string linemen, had all day to throw. We had 2 huge and obvious PI calls including one from Peters. Both led to scores. So did the defense really do its job? Or is the Giant offense so abysmal that they really cannot move the ball without some help? I would submit the latter to be closer to the truth.

Don't even wanna mention the absolute stench that came from the offensive side.

My one and only rule in domestic relations cases was, "Whatever you tell your peers, including your wife and family, tell your lawyer the truth.  The whole truth."   Because there is nothing worse than going into a hearing and discover that the other side has something on your client that you were not prepared to defend.   Although it is a rule,  it is rarely followed.   Everybody in divorce lies.

So what is the truth about the CHiefs?   I think it is the offensive line.   Whats the story with Parker Ehringer?  I think Kareem Hunt may be overrated.

My one and only rule in domestic relations cases was, "Whatever you tell your peers, including your wife and family, tell your lawyer the truth.  The whole truth."   Because there is nothing worse than going into a hearing and discover that the other side has something on your client that you were not prepared to defend.   Although it is a rule,  it is rarely followed.   Everybody in divorce lies.

So what is the truth about the CHiefs?   I think it is the offensive line.   Whats the story with Parker Ehringer?  I think Kareem Hunt may be overrated.

I do think K. Hunt is a "little" overrated. He is a young strong back, but I do question his vision. I think he'll get better, but maybe a little overrated right now.

Feels like a quoted article and the photo captions kind of give that away. If so I think copywrite laws state that the author need be credited. Not picking on anyone but if this is someone else's work it needs to be noted. Even if this is just a forum, bulletin board, etc.

When I’m helping a client in a child protection case who is on a case plan, or criminal defendant who has plead guilty and is on probation, I have a rule. Well, I have many rules, but one rule that I’m going to be writing about today so we’ll just say one rule, because that’s more dramatic. So I have one rule. That rule is “remove all excuses.”

By that, I mean that I don’t want my client, when it’s all said and done, to have ANY excuse for failing in a case plan or on probation. I make lists for them. I reach out and work with social services and probation on their behalf. I check in regularly to prod them along. I want to make things so simple and (relatively) easy on my clients that if they fail, at the end of the day, they have absolutely no one to blame but themselves. I do this because if people have a reason to blame others, they often will. And blaming others generally leads to failure. I want no excuses available.

Why am I talking about this? Because on Sunday, the Chiefs were stripped away of any possible excuses and left with no one to point the finger at but themselves.

The New York Giants are an objectively bad football team. The week prior to playing the Chiefs, they lost to the previously winless 49ers by two scores. The week before, they got absolutely pasted by the Los Angeles Rams 51-17. They are missing virtually their entire WR group. Their running game is poor. Eli Manning is a shadow of what he was at his best. Their offensive line is a joke. Their defense can’t stop anyone. They’re a bad, bad, bad team to the point that their own fans and writers predicted a Chiefs blowout.

On top of all that, the Chiefs were coming off a bye week, with time to get healthy and dive deep into the issues that have plagued them recently. We all know Andy Reid is 3,483,908-2 after bye weeks (give or take). While they still had some injuries to deal with, the offensive line was as healthy as its been all season.

Yet the Chiefs lost.

Kelce says Chiefs have to man upusa_today_10425977.jpg Brad Penner-USA TODAY Sports

Nobody is pointing fingers, but guys have to get called out and get told, you know what I mean?”

I lost count of the number of times the Giants (truly a horrible team) tried to hand the game over to the Chiefs. And make no mistake, they played very, very poorly. Eli completed barely 50% of his passes.

Yet the Chiefs lost.

The Giants’ running game averaged a paltry 3.5 yards per carry.

Yet the Chiefs lost.

The Giants turned the ball over on an AWFUL trick play.

Yet the Chiefs lost.

The Giants, at one point in the game, had SEVEN DRIVES IN A ROW that ended in either a punt or on downs.

Yet the Chiefs lost.

During that stretch of SEVEN DRIVES IN A ROW the Giants had to punt or gave the ball over on downs, four of those drives were three-and-outs.

Yet the Chiefs lost.

The Giants scored nine points in regulation.

Yet the Chiefs lost.

In short, the New Giants played a truly abysmal game of football. They were utterly lost out there, looking completely incompetent the majority of the game. The only way the Chiefs could lose that game was by looking completely incompetent for an even GREATER portion of the game. And the Chiefs somehow rose to the challenge.

The Chiefs have no excuses. There is absolutely no reason the Chiefs should lose to the Giants on ANY Sunday, let alone a Sunday in which the Giants played... well, like the Giants. The Chiefs were a legitimately bad football team on Sunday.

And the worst part is, this SEEMS like it’s perhaps the culmination of cracks in the foundation that have been showing for a while. Loss to Pittsburgh? Bah, the Chiefs were due for a bad game and Pittsburgh has their number. Loss to Oakland? Thursday night on the road! Bad calls! Freak plays! Loss to Dallas? Looking ahead to the bye week! Dallas is good when healthy!

The Alex Smith era is dying a slow deathusa_today_10425989.jpg Brad Penner-USA TODAY Sports

Is it time?

But now, the Chiefs are at a point where there’s no other explanation other than “we are currently bad.” While I can look back at the 5-0 start and say, “OK, we know this roster CAN do well,” it feels like a distant dream beating multiple playoff contenders in a row.

I tend to be a positive fan. I want to believe things can turn around (and, in the parity-driven NFL, it’s absolutely not too late). However, on Sunday all the worst fears Chiefs fans have about this team seemed to come to fruition.

The Giants made things as easy on the Chiefs as humanly possible in an NFL game. And the Chiefs still couldn’t walk out of New York with a win.

In front of all of us, over the course of 60 excruciating minutes of football, every excuse we (or at least I) have made for this team over the last month was taken away. The Chiefs have gone from “Super Bowl contender” to “good team” to “good team that’s struggling” to “team that doesn’t look good.” The only reason they’re up in the AFC West is because the Chargers started the year horribly and Oakland/Denver are currently self-destructing. But at this point, today, there’s not a team in the league I’m NOT afraid of beating the Chiefs.

The time for excuses has ended. The Giants were kind enough to take all of them away. Now I guess we just... wait and see what happens next.

I do think K. Hunt is a "little" overrated. He is a young strong back, but I do question his vision. I think he'll get better, but maybe a little overrated right now.

A few times Kareem Hunt had nothing up the middle and could have bounced it outside. Jamaal Charles was notorious for that even with horrid O-lines. He just needs to work on bouncing things to the outside when Morse , Fulton, and LDT get mauled in.

A few times Kareem Hunt had nothing up the middle and could have bounced it outside. Jamaal Charles was notorious for that even with horrid O-lines. He just needs to work on bouncing things to the outside when Morse , Fulton, and LDT get mauled in.

He doesn't have the speed to bounce outside.  I like Hunt, he's a very talented runner, tremendous balance, nice power, great hands.  But his best work is inside the tackles.   Like any back of his type, he needs a hole to get to the 2nd level, where he does his best work, and he's rarely getting such holes anymore because teams are keying on him, and daring our QB to beat them.    

He doesn't have the speed to bounce outside. I like Hunt, he's a very talented runner, tremendous balance, nice power, great hands. But his best work is inside the tackles. Like any back of his type, he needs a hole to get to the 2nd level, where he does his best work, and he's rarely getting such holes anymore because teams are keying on him, and daring our QB to beat them.

Key words: Daring our QB to beat us. This is very true. Maybe Kareem needs a dynamic QB to open up his game. Dink and Dunk will only hurt the run game as defenders continue to crowd the LOS.

Feels like a quoted article and the photo captions kind of give that away. If so I think copywrite laws state that the author need be credited. Not picking on anyone but if this is someone else's work it needs to be noted. Even if this is just a forum, bulletin board, etc.

You serious clark???

Yes it is someone else's work.  Holy hell, the first time I failed to add the link to a post and this happens.

Man the interwebs is freakin funny at times.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2017/11/20/16678280/the-day-excuses-died-for-the-kansas-city-chiefs

You serious clark???

Yes it is someone else's work.  Holy hell, the first time I failed to add the link to a post and this happens.

Man the interwebs is freakin funny at times.

:lol: just a newbie being a newbie i reckon.. he's from Atlanta too..lots of Chiefs fans from that way..

I make mistakes all the time. It happens. I wasn't attacking anyone no matter how it came across. Was simply pointing it out and that it needed to be rectified.

Oldtimer, what difference does a fan from Atlanta make? I'm actually from Orlando, does that make me even less a fan?

I make mistakes all the time. It happens. I wasn't attacking anyone no matter how it came across. Was simply pointing it out and that it needed to be rectified.

Oldtimer, what difference does a fan from Atlanta make? I'm actually from Orlando, does that make me even less a fan?

no just an oddity seems we have quite a few Atlanta area fans on here...nothing more

All good my man, or woman, or transgender (gotta be PC).  Just keep in mind the sarcasm level is usually set to 11 round here ( at least with me).

P.S. OT is oddity himself, so don't worry bout him. 

Key words: Daring our QB to beat us. This is very true. Maybe Kareem needs a dynamic QB to open up his game. Dink and Dunk will only hurt the run game as defenders continue to crowd the LOS.

I agree, but when we had success people said we had great running, but that we dunked and dunked, that teams crowded the box, but we had efficiency at short passes and good running team despite the crowding of the box, etc. We didn't do well enough to win in the playoffs or be great on 3rd downs, but I always felt teams should be better against us if we run so much and we'll, throw short, etc. if they are crowding the box.

Lighten up Francis

Archived