Dontari Poe - The Missing Link?

This has to asked: was Dontari Poe a better DL than the Chiefs have him credit for? Poe went to damn near every Pro Bowl every year he was a Chief. Poe was pretty dominant for years at stuffing the run, often taking up 2 to 3 blockers and shutting down the inside running game, leaving Derrick Johnson and others to make plays laterally on the outside. This was critical because DJ was never a prototypical ILB in stuffing the inside run.

The Chiefs then let Poe go without a fuss and Atlanta quickly scooped him up. This year, it looks like Bennie Logan is getting pushed around and not stuffing the middle like Poe did, forcing DJ to play more inside and in position to stuff the inside and leaving the outside to the Nickel and Safeties.

To me.. it looks like Dontari Poe was a bugger part of the D than we realized. Poe was very injury-riddled, but for the Falcons, he's been very healthy and playing significantly, unlike last season with the Chiefs. Does the Chiefs' D really miss Poe as much as it looks?!

Poe was a good DE prospect but never as good of a NT. He used to command double teams in the past but never since his back injury. I was in favor of moving him to DE where his athletic ability would be an advantage but since we didn't make that move there was no need to keep him here. Logan isn't really what we expected but Poe wasn't the answer either. 

Logan has been the best D-lineman we have this year and it's not close.

he's been the best, but I also think Poe wasn't as bad we thought. He looks good in Atlanta, and he's still being double teamed. What Poe has done in Atlanta, is elevate Grady Jarrett's play. (The other DT in their 4-3 def).

I think the letdown up front has been the regression of Allen Bailey and inconsistency with Chris Jones, whom I think takes plays off too much.

I hear you. Players seldom sign 1 year prove it deals with the team they are on. Maybe he would have. Either way, both Logan and Poe signed 1 year 8 mill deals. We couldn’t have both. I prefer Logan. I think he is stronger and plays harder. Wish he got more snaps.

No problem with someone who prefers Poe. Poe is playing much better this year than he did last year.

I think he got a one year deal not that much money?

It was for a little more than what we signed L9gan for and it was just a 1 year deal. We can still get him next year if we wish but I like Logan. Jones and Bailey need to step it up. Getting ILB will help too but the line has to keep them clean.

I think he got a one year deal not that much money?

The ironic part of Dontari Poe's deal is it has a lot of incentives which seemed pretty easy to hit, and made the overall amount of money almost exactly the same as Bennie Logan. The big difference for the Chiefs was that they felt Logan had the better probability of not getting so injury-riddled like Poe did.

Archived