What is wrong with our OLINE??????????

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Phata Terror, the only reason you'd see 8 in the box is in a two or less wr set. I'm willing to bet we are in 3 wr sets a majority of the time and therefor see a loaded box which would be 7 not 8 defenders.

When the Chiefs are in a three-wideout set and Demarcus Robinson is on the field, it's actually a two-wideout set.

Either there are eight-in-the-box or there aren't. Stop trying to excuse a statement that's patently false.

Don't know if our OL is really bad or if it's just the outcome of this offense. There have been pretty good pockets that Smith doesn't seem to be stepping up into. The run blocking is questionable but the pass protection is there. This was the issue last year as well, the OL doesn't seem to be decent at both aspect at the same time. Also facing a crowded box pretty much all the time is killing the OL. WCO doesn't work if the defense only has to focus on the short plays, they have to be scared of the long or deep plays so they don't crowd the box and underneath plays are open.

You know what's crazy? According to NFL's Next-Gen Stats, Kareem Hunt faced eight-in-the-box on exactly zero percent of his carries.

But the same old false narrative keeps being repeated, and therefore keeps being believed.

The offensive line is that bad.

We are seeing a cover the majority of the time. The back is sitting and squatting on or ruin game. Safeties are 0 yards back and flying up hard on our run game. They don't respect our down the field throw game. Which essentially is a loaded box.

This is the most bullshit statement of the day. I am fine with benching him. I'm fine with saying he sucks. But acting like he is not a tough player is stupid shit. He is sometimes tough to a fault in taking stupid hits. It's what got him knocked out in San Francisco. I constantly see him taking sacks and getting right up. We constantly see him put his body on the line to get a first down.

Heck, sometimes he'll put his body on the line to get 2 yards on first down. He played through a torn grade 3 throwing shoulder with the Niners. He played four games on that and then had a shoulder botched again in surgery. If there is one thing he is, it's tough. He's also mentally tough to go through what he's gone through with coaches throwing him under the bus, fans, and other factors.

None of this makes him good enough, but I think it's dumb to question his toughness.

I don't care what has happened in the past. He is clearly shitting bricks out there at times.

You know what's crazy? According to NFL's Next-Gen Stats, Kareem Hunt faced eight-in-the-box on exactly zero percent of his carries.

But the same old false narrative keeps being repeated, and therefore keeps being believed.

Hey stop using stats. Lol. Trust the eye test. Couldn't resist that you used stats after giving me a little crap in other threads. Hahaha.

Anyways, I will be the first Chiefs fan to simply state they are at a loss for what is going on. The run blocking has been horrible. It wasn't that good during the first 5 games of the season. Hell, Hunt was getting hit in the back field back then consistently enough and fighting for 5 yards just to get a 2 or 3 yard gain. I just feel like then he was also breaking some nice runs to keep defenses off balance.

Hunt is also getting less carries now but can you keep giving him the ball when he's not even gained 3 ypc?

Pass protection looks the same to me. I don't feel like it has improved or gotten worse. Defenses are playing more zone concepts and Smith is horrible against zone. My thoughts anyways.

Hey stop using stats. Lol. Trust the eye test. Couldn't resist that you used stats after giving me a little crap in other threads. Hahaha.

Anyways, I will be the first Chiefs fan to simply state they are at a loss for what is going on. The run blocking has been horrible. It wasn't that good during the first 5 games of the season. Hell, Hunt was getting hit in the back field back then consistently enough and fighting for 5 yards just to get a 2 or 3 yard gain. I just feel like then he was also breaking some nice runs to keep defenses off balance.

Hunt is also getting less carries now but can you keep giving him the ball when he's not even gained 3 ypc?

Pass protection looks the same to me. I don't feel like it has improved or gotten worse. Defenses are playing more zone concepts and Smith is horrible against zone. My thoughts anyways.

Chiefs are simply abandoning the run way too early. Even when we get something going the playcall immediately switches to 2 yard screens. However this OL has been terrible at run blocking for a very long time. Assuming they are happy with Morse 4 pieces of the OL is set for some time which means that unless there's some change at OL coaching this is what we'll keep watching on Sundays.

I don't care what has happened in the past. He is clearly shitting bricks out there at times.

It's not just in the past. He is still tough as hell. He's just not playing well. Now, I don't think he is confident in being hit while he throws and not being intercepted or stepping up and being sacked. So he does have happy feet, but I don't think it has anything to do with not being a man, tough. I think if you solve the confidence problem in the line, you would see him take those hits to make those plays. But he needs to get over it.

Before someone jumps in, I'm not blaming the line. I am saying that he needs to have confidence in the line regardless of how good or bad they are. He may never have that and see ghosts forever until he is benched. I'm not making any claims. But I'm saying that he has to fix that first before you see other changes.

all the things said about smith are true. We've all seen it for 4 yrs now.

But I was watching Buffalo do what everyone else has done to our run game, and that's go into their base defense and play with 7 in the box.

If you rewatch the game, the Buffalo LB's were sitting like 3 yds off the LOS, anticipating run every single First down, and 2nd or 3rd and short.

Reid is not helping his offense. And now that AS11 is struggling, Reid really needs to get his shit together also.

Reid's answer to it all is running trick plays and shit, When we scored in the 3rd qtr., Reid passed on first down, and ran (QB option) on passing downs.

Then, after that, we went right back to running the ball into a 7 man front on first down, 3 yrd screen on second down, and incomplete pass on 3rd down.

Ball game. Bills win.

And the jets will too, if some changes aren't made soon..

I actually agree with dablueguy on this one. The LG sucks but other than that Alex is what's wrong with our line. He's done this before. He sees phantom pressure instead of scanning the field. He's damaged goods.

yup.

It's not just in the past. He is still tough as hell. He's just not playing well. Now, I don't think he is confident in being hit while he throws and not being intercepted or stepping up and being sacked. So he does have happy feet, but I don't think it has anything to do with not being a man, tough. I think if you solve the confidence problem in the line, you would see him take those hits to make those plays. But he needs to get over it.

Before someone jumps in, I'm not blaming the line. I am saying that he needs to have confidence in the line regardless of how good or bad they are. He may never have that and see ghosts forever until he is benched. I'm not making any claims. But I'm saying that he has to fix that first before you see other changes.

Getting confidence between QB and OL is easier said than done. Chiefs just went through the Giants game with a very good QB protection and nice pockets but Smith came out the next week setting a new low for the concept of happy feet. Sometimes a QB cannot bounce back from a couple hits whereas some of them get over it as soon as the next play. Either way the QB's approach reflects on the line so it's a two way street. Right now the entire team is missing a winning attitude so I don't expect anyone on offense to actually look good.

Smith has David Carr syndrome, simple as that. You can't break a QB out of that. There's no offensive protection scheme to help him. There's no fancy new offensive twists Reid can implement. He's toast unless he pulls himself out of it.

Yeah NFL Next Gen Stats is flat out wrong. Bills at one point had everyone in the box. Or at the LOS.

https://mobile.twitter.com/kent_swanson/status/935208995480113158

Yeah NFL Next Gen Stats is flat out wrong. Bills at one point had everyone in the box. Or at the LOS.

https://mobile.twitter.com/kent_swanson/status/935208995480113158

That was very obvious. They dared the Chiefs to throw down the seams. What's Todd Boles going to do next week? Stack the box and bum rush the A gaps with Mohammed Wilkerson and Leonard Williams. We need Smith to snap out of it. We're going back to a windy Met Life where Alex can reinvent his torn self. No better place to ressurect yourself Alex.

Smith has David Carr syndrome, simple as that. You can't break a QB out of that. There's no offensive protection scheme to help him. There's no fancy new offensive twists Reid can implement. He's toast unless he pulls himself out of it.

I agree with you. I won't say it is likely, but I will say that he is the one that has to get himself out of it. Many limitations or weaknesses a quarterback has or is perceived to have can be masked, but I don't think this one can. And when I say masked, I don't mean overcome 100%. I just mean masked. And when I say masked, I don't mean secret. And when I say... just kidding.

Archived