What is wrong with our OLINE??????????

Id fire Andy Heck and go get a guard who can actually run block. Burying our heads in the sand if we don't see how inconsistent this group has been for years now. But likewise it would be burying our head in the sand to not recognize Alex's responsibility in this as well. Teams are going to defend us differently with Mahomes. Thats a guarantee. 

I'd also add a TE who is a really good run blocker next year as well to play the Jason Dunn type role. Enough with these basketball players that can't block anyone and Alex won't throw too anyway because they aren't wide open.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Id fire Andy Heck and go get a guard who can actually run block. Burying our heads in the sand if we don't see how inconsistent this group has been for years now. But likewise it would be burying our head in the sand to not recognize Alex's responsibility in this as well. Teams are going to defend us differently with Mahomes. Thats a guarantee.

I'd also add a TE who is a really good run blocker next year as well to play the Jason Dunn type role. Enough with these basketball players that can't block anyone and Alex won't throw too anyway because they aren't wide open.

And that's another thing that is frustrating in that Smith did throw to players who were not wide open in the first five games. I wish he would do that and if we get interceptions so be it. But that's not how he's going to think when he's the one being replaced if he throws the interception. But I think he's smart enough to realize that he's gonna lose his job by losing games by worrying about that. He's thrown interceptions at bad times and more of them and we're losing. The two things he had was winning and not throwing interceptions. That's gone so we might as well throw caution to the wind.

From Schwartz:

“We've played some teams that show a very low percentage of Cover 2 in their other games and then they've popped to that against us," Chiefs right tackle Mitchell Schwartz said. "We have Cover 2 beaters, but conversely, if they're in Cover 2, that should open up our run game. So we need to run the ball better somehow.”

I saw mostly 4 man fronts from the Bills. A few 8 in the box, bring the House, but not many. We need to at least get Hunt to the LOS. You get him to the LOS untouched, and he will average 3 yards a carry and break 2 or 3 for 20+.

On Twitter Geoff shwartz was blasting our interior line.. baldy did some breakdowns with close ups the O line is getting no push.. even when Reid brought out extra O line they came with their nickel personal n we still got stoned at the los.. unacceptable. Fulton ignoring the mike n scraping to the backside backer only to leave the mike in the hole behind the los.. there were 6 man fronts where they had less beef n extra pass defenders in the game, didn't matter the O line got zero push play stopped at Los. Fulton looks lost at LG, Morse n LDT haven't returned to form after their injuries. The nasty is gone now they are just trying (poorly I might add) to get in the way.. baldy said trick shit won't work till fundamentals are executed and running game won't open up for traps, counters, iso, n whatnot till interior of the O line starts moving the los in the run game.

Yeah NFL Next Gen Stats is flat out wrong. Bills at one point had everyone in the box. Or at the LOS.

https://mobile.twitter.com/kent_swanson/status/935208995480113158

Meh, it's the data that was available. I'm not sure what else to say. Throughout the season, Kareem Hunt hasn't frequently faced eight-in-the-box in the manner in which NFL Next-Gen Stats reckons it. I'm assuming that the system isn't subjective.

That doesn't change the fact that one defender soaks up two Chiefs offensive linemen on pretty much every running play. That's not normal.

Also someone pointed out that the Bills constantly looked like they were in cover 2 but at the snap the SS would come down into the box.  That probably throws off the next gen stats or whatever saying there aren't 8 in the box when indeed at the snap there are.  Also Reid mentioned it with my previous post.

On Twitter Geoff shwartz was blasting our interior line.. baldy did some breakdowns with close ups the O line is getting no push.. even when Reid brought out extra O line they came with their nickel personal n we still got stoned at the los.. unacceptable. Fulton ignoring the mike n scraping to the backside backer only to leave the mike in the hole behind the los.. there were 6 man fronts where they had less beef n extra pass defenders in the game, didn't matter the O line got zero push play stopped at Los. Fulton looks lost at LG, Morse n LDT haven't returned to form after their injuries. The nasty is gone now they are just trying (poorly I might add) to get in the way.. baldy said trick shit won't work till fundamentals are executed and running game won't open up for traps, counters, iso, n whatnot till interior of the O line starts moving the los in the run game.

Well stated. Agree with this across the board. They are so far from being a cohesive unit, its ridiculous. Every run play 1 or 2 defenders are in the backfield.

Morse has regressed badly this season. The guy is getting ZERO PUSH and has actually graded out below 50.0 on the season per PFF. That's pathetic.

So, it's gone beyond just the simple "we can't beat a Zone defense." Teams now understand that Alex is superior at pre-snap reads and can't (because he doesn't keep his eyes up) read the D post snap. Therefore teams are hiding coverage until the snap and playing Smiths weakness against him.

This is why the Line looks to be suffering (except that Fulton is a terrible LG regardless) as well.

Replace Alex Smith...Please.

So, it's gone beyond just the simple "we can't beat a Zone defense." Teams now understand that Alex is superior at pre-season reads and can't (because he doesn't keep his eyes up) read the D post snap. Therefore teams are hiding coverage until the snap and playing Smiths weakness against him.

This is why the Line looks to be suffering (except that Fulton is a terrible LG regardless) as well.

Replace Alex Smith...Please.

Well at least the explanation is getting more sophisticated. I don't think it is that Smith doesn't recognize cover two and know how to attack it. It's that his pre-snap reads are being used against him and he has to adjust or he will be replaced. Shouldn't have taken this long and there are other factors obviously.

Smith is not a rookie and he's not stupid. Saying that we can't beat cover two and only leaving it at that is calling him that. Saying that he suddenly forgot football or never knew it after 13 years is a stretch. We should have done better, he should have done better, he was playing poorly, we will need to do better, and we will have to adjust. If we can make the playoffs, hopefully defenses helped us figure out their approach. Besides just "cover two." Football is a game of adjustments and if we had three more plays, we could possibly have three more wins. That's not excuse for not getting those three or having close games be close, but the problems aren't 100%.

Well stated. Agree with this across the board. They are so far from being a cohesive unit, its ridiculous. Every run play 1 or 2 defenders are in the backfield.

Morse has regressed badly this season. The guy is getting ZERO PUSH and has actually graded out below 50.0 on the season per PFF. That's pathetic.

Grunhard said he had same injury and wasn't the same player until the next season. Apparently very painful.

Grunhard said he had same injury and wasn't the same player until the next season. Apparently very painful.

I think Fulton is bigger issue than Morse. I've been hating on Fulton since he started playing. The dude is not very smart, and doesn't play with any fire. He is the RCB of the offensive line.

I don't know how many times I've seen Hunt tackled in the backfield or for a 2yd run, with Fulton standing there looking down at him with the guy he was supposed to be blocking making the tackle.

I hated Witzman, but he was playing better than Fulton. Put him back in!

What about adding some nasty attitude infused into our line. Sign DJ Fluker this off-season. Put him at LG. Trade Schwartz for whatever draft pick we can get and then put Ehringer at RT. This would make is more physical and nasty.

Fisher- Fluker- Morse-LDT-Ehringer

I was thinking about this the other day. Tired of not having a TE to go knock a player on his ass. And Reids lack of use of The Sausage.

New oline coach needed?  WTF is going?  I think its 3 guys on the oline playing poorly.  And our LT is meh.

He did no such thing. He actually said it was everyone doing something wrong at the wrong time. One guy pulling, vs. a guy picking up someone else. He said on every play it is a missed assignment.

What about adding some nasty attitude infused into our line. Sign DJ Fluker this off-season. Put him at LG. Trade Schwartz for whatever draft pick we can get and then put Ehringer at RT. This would make is more physical and nasty.

Hell no. Schwartz is easily our best pass defending OL by a long shot and he doesn't cost that much.

That may be the worst idea since Guido shooting first.

Hell no. Schwartz is easily our best pass defending OL by a long shot and he doesn't cost that much.

He pass blocked very well against von Miller and very average to below average against everyone else. He has been sorry as a run blocker.

Let's not overrated him

I think Fisher has given up less pressure than Schwartz but I don’t know how to look it up. They both need to remain starters. Everyone in between them could be upgraded.

I'd just like to see more nasty on our offensive line. Ehringer had the size and length to play RT. He was a LT at Cincinnati and was looked at as a RT or guard at the NFL. Him and LDT give us a nasty right side. Bringing in a guy like Fluker gives us a road grader for the left side.

We then free up money from Schwartz and add a draft pick.

Archived