Dorsey was not good? Awful Depth?

I admit I am too lazy to do my own research on these players. I rely on this board and the talking heads for information.

Well I now know that I have been a lazy fool for listening to all these opinions.

Watching this team I now know ... Dorsey was not a good GM. This team has little depth and a lot of really bad contracts. See ya later Dorsey! He used top picks to replace upcoming free agents instead of what we need this year.

The standard in KC seems to be......just make the playoffs.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think Dorsey was bad with talent. However the position coaches have changed over the years with some of them getting deals elsewhere and the new group isn't very bright so far. I never really liked Dorsey in drafts as Peters seem to be the only 1st round pick that's actually worth a 1st with the rest all being very questionable. However Dorsey was pretty good in waiver wire and the FA which is basically where a team finds good depth. 

For Browns, another full housecleaning may be a necessity
Posted by Mike Florio on November 26, 2017, 7:38 PM EST
626138252-e1511735786300.jpg?w=560&h=316
Getty Images

Whatever the Browns do when the dust settles on the latest 0-11 disaster, they’ll need to do something significant in order to have a shot at hiring anyone with options.

The current thinking in league circles is that the Browns will need to hit the reset button again in order to attract legitimate G.M. and/or coaching candidates. It means that, only two years after crafting a Sashi Brown/Paul DiPodesta/Hue Jackson approach to the football operation, all will have to go before any can be replaced in a meaningful way.

While a half-measure remains possible, with either a new coach or a new front-office chief, it will be very difficult to land a top-flight candidate if anyone remains from an organization that has now lost 26 of 27 games.

One name that keeps coming up is former Chiefs G.M. John Dorsey. But he’s likely to be one of the candidate who will have choices, and he likely won’t choose to take a job with the Browns unless he’s entering with a clean slate.

For ownership, the question becomes whether they’re ready to yet again remove the Band-Aid in one motion — and incur multiple more buyout obligations. It may be the only option for turning around a team that really can’t get much worse than it has been.

I think the roster has been exposed for what it is. Dorsey was overrated. All the stuff you like, you credit Dorsey. All the stuff you don't like was Andy's fault.

The roster is the same roster that started 5-0.  Until the QB starting crapping the bed and remembering who he is.   Dorsey did plenty I didn't like, but overall he was an A to A- GM.  I don't blame Andy for signing DJ or Hali to the bad extensions they got, but I do blame him for going out and drastically overpaying both in draft picks and contract for the QB he desperately wanted to run his offense, yes, I do.   So your characterization, as usual, is way off base.      

This roster is and has been weak regardless of the 5-0 start. If Veach hadn't picked up Ragland, we'd probably still be seeing Sorenson trying to play ILB. We have one ish wide receiver in Hill since Mr. A- sent Maclin packing. The rest of them are pretty much garbage. We have a huge bust of first round Dee Ford and an overpaid aging Hali or Zombo to go with Houston. Our cornerback situation is a complete dumpster fire. And O-Line has been somewhere between pretty bad at times to slightly below average at others. Our D-Line has been pretty much a sieve. And we have a good kicker (Veach) and a good but overpriced punter.

This roster is and has been weak regardless of the 5-0 start. If Veach hadn't picked up Ragland, we'd probably still be seeing Sorenson trying to play ILB. We have one ish wide receiver in Hill since Mr. A- sent Maclin packing. The rest of them are pretty much garbage. We have a huge bust of first round Dee Ford and an overpaid aging Hali or Zombo to go with Houston. Our cornerback situation is a complete dumpster fire. And O-Line has been somewhere between pretty bad at times to slightly below average at others. Our D-Line has been pretty much a sieve. And we have a good kicker (Veach) and a good but overpriced punter.

Yea I think the issue is we needed Alex to play at an MVP level like he was doing for those first 5 games for us to win in spite of all the holes we have.  Now our roster doesn't look as bad as we have shown the past few weeks and that is because Alex has done a 180 and completely plummeted his play making a solid/average/good roster look terrible.  

The roster is the same roster that started 5-0.  Until the QB starting crapping the bed and remembering who he is.   Dorsey did plenty I didn't like, but overall he was an A to A- GM.  I don't blame Andy for signing DJ or Hali to the bad extensions they got, but I do blame him for going out and drastically overpaying both in draft picks and contract for the QB he desperately wanted to run his offense, yes, I do.   So your characterization, as usual, is way off base.

If you think Dorsey was so good, then please tell me where you think the strength of the roster is? Because it ain't defense. And it ain't offense. And it ain't all Alex Smith's fault. This just isn't as strong of a roster as we were told. It isn't.

If you think Dorsey was so good, then please tell me where you think the strength of the roster is? Because it ain't defense. And it ain't offense. And it ain't all Alex Smith's fault. This just isn't as strong of a roster as we were told. It isn't.

Regardless of who the gm is, this is Reid’s team. Reid is the one who chooses the players.

You can’t blame Dorsey without blaming Reid. Dorsey did a shitty job in terms of contracts but I have no doubt in my mind that Reid was the driving force, telling Dorsey just to make sure certain players didn’t leave. Reid is a control freak.

Yup, agree that Reid deserves equal amounts of blame.

The OL is good, with a chance to be very good.  The starting RB is very good.   With a healthy Ware, it's a deep unit.  The starting TE is very good.   The Gimmik player is the best in the NFL.   The rest of the WR's would be and will be fine for a real QB.   Alex drags every aspect of our Offense down when he plays like the crap he's played lately.  The OL, the RB, The receivers.  

D Line is fine.    CB 1-3 is fine.    Dorsey made a big mistake tying up and overpaying Sorenson.  DJ fell off a cliff quickly, which hurt, and although still a good overall player, so did Houston.   And Ford's been hurt.   

Regardless of who the gm is, this is Reid’s team. Reid is the one who chooses the players.

Andy isn't as deep into the weeds as that, IMO.   I believe he's had little to do with the draft.   NFL Veterans that he knows and wants, yeah, probably in many cases.   Not draftees, not UDFA's, not young waiver wire pickups.  

Dorsey didn't choose Mahomes???    Not only did he choose him, he decided the right price to pay for him.   

Mellinger had an article that said it was all Reid, even Kliff Kingsbury was quoted as saying he never once spoke with Dorsey.  Dorsey obviously worked the trade out but it was a Reid pick.

This comes from Texas Tech coach Kliff Kingsbury, unintentionally, in a hallway off the side at Big 12 football media days this week.

It’s at the end of a conversation about Mahomes, who went from a quarterback competition his junior year of high school to one Power Five scholarship offer to the 10th pick in the NFL draft in less than four years.

Kingsbury is asked if he was surprised by “the Dorsey thing.”

“Umm ... which thing? What?”

John Dorsey. He got fired.

“I didn’t know he got fired. When was that? Really?”

Yeah, about a month ago.

“I hadn’t heard that. I didn’t have any dealings with him. I dealt with coach (Andy) Reid. I didn’t know that, but that’s surprising.”

Wait. You never talked with the GM?

“Maybe on draft day or something, but I don’t think so.”

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/sam-mellinger/article162888993.html

Archived