Dorsey was not good? Awful Depth?

Mellinger had an article that said it was all Reid, even Kliff Kingsbury was quoted as saying he never once spoke with Dorsey.  Dorsey obviously worked the trade out but it was a Reid pick.

This comes from Texas Tech coach Kliff Kingsbury, unintentionally, in a hallway off the side at Big 12 football media days this week.

It’s at the end of a conversation about Mahomes, who went from a quarterback competition his junior year of high school to one Power Five scholarship offer to the 10th pick in the NFL draft in less than four years.

Kingsbury is asked if he was surprised by “the Dorsey thing.”

“Umm ... which thing? What?”

John Dorsey. He got fired.

“I didn’t know he got fired. When was that? Really?”

Yeah, about a month ago.

“I hadn’t heard that. I didn’t have any dealings with him. I dealt with coach (Andy) Reid. I didn’t know that, but that’s surprising.”

Wait. You never talked with the GM?

“Maybe on draft day or something, but I don’t think so.”

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/sam-mellinger/article162888993.html

Dorsey personally scouted Mahomes.    Maybe he didn't talk to Kingsbury about him, but he certainly scouted him, and evaluated him.   

SAM MELLINGER Chiefs GM John Dorsey watched Patrick Mahomes’ worst day in person ... and drafted him anyway

BY SAM MELLINGER

smellinger@kcstar.com

•  
  •  
  •  

MAY 25, 2017 07:00 AM

UPDATED MAY 25, 2017 10:19 AM

Comparing anything at OTAs to real football is a little like comparing a light drizzle on your commute to an actual car wash, but if you watch closely you can see the Patrick Mahomes scouting report in real life.

One snap, he rolls to his left and throws against his body, 30 yards or so downfield, the ball placed perfectly between the defender and the sideline in his receiver’s hands.

The next snap, he is off-target on a simple hitch route, enough that the cornerback intercepts without particularly good coverage.

The Chiefs plan on insulating their first-round pick as much as possible, tantalized enough by his ability to make the good throw that they’ll be patient with the rawness in the bad throw.

Know this, though: Whatever turns out to be Mahomes’ worst day of practice with the Chiefs will be better than what general manager John Dorsey saw when he drove three hours north to watch Mahomes against Iowa State.

It was the second of two times Dorsey watched Mahomes in person and was, plainly, the worst game of his college career.

“Yep,” Dorsey said.

So bad that Dorsey is stumped when asked if he saw a good throw that day.

“I can’t remember,” Dorsey said. “No.”

All of that, and Dorsey still traded two first-round picks and a third for Mahomes.

“Guys like this,” Dorsey said, “I want to watch it up close.”

Dorsey does not like sitting in the press box. He often says he wants to “touch it, feel it, smell it,” when he’s scouting, and it’s hard to do that up high and behind the glass.

So he gets outside, though he’s coy when asked exactly where in the stadium he sets up to watch.

“To look at a player like this,” Dorsey said, “I’ll probably dress up as an Iowa State fan.”

It is hard to overstate how bad Mahomes was that day. Here are the numbers: 18 of 36 for 219 yards, one touchdown, two interceptions and two rushes for negative-2 yards in a 66-10 loss to a team whose other wins came against San Jose State and Kansas. Those were his fewest completions and yards of the season, and his 99.2 passer rating that day was the worst of any game since he became Tech’s starter as a freshman.

But those are just numbers. If you go back and watch the game, in some ways, it’s even worse. Two plays in the second quarter represent the low point. On second and 10, he backpedals against pressure, and instead of taking the sack or trying to escape, lobs a prayer down the middle of the field. When the ball lands, the closest three players are all on defense.

The very next play, again he throws it soft down the middle of the field while backpedaling. This one is intended for a receiver with blanket coverage, and the pick-six is made by a second defender Mahomes should’ve known was coming.

Really, it was awful. You could not have watched that game and thought this was a top 10 pick. Or, at least, you could not have watched that game and thought this was a top 10 pick if that’s all you’d seen, and if those throws were all you were looking for.

This is how a respected and successful NFL GM saw the figurative carnage and still wanted to trade up 17 spots for his guy.

“By then I’d already seen all the throws,” Dorsey said. “So by then, I’m looking for the hidden intangibles I can’t see on film.”

Breaking down the college tape of Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes II

The Kansas City Star's A-Team of Terez Paylor, Blair Kerkhoff, Sam Mellinger and Vahe Gregorian offered praise and critique of Chiefs new quarterback Patrick Mahomes II while watching game film from his days at Texas Tech during a Facebook Live broadcast on Tuesday, May 9, 2017. To watch the full broadcast, visit facebook.com/RedZoneExtra.

Shane Keyser The Kansas City Star

In that way, this may have actually been the best game of the year for Dorsey to watch in person.

Mahomes played most of the season with a shoulder injury, which he originally suffered against Kansas in September. The shoulder pain came and went during the season, and against Iowa State he went to the locker room late in the first quarter.

At that moment, Tech trailed 7-3. Dorsey thought his guy was done. By the time Mahomes returned, the Red Raiders trailed 21-3. On the second play of his first series back, Mahomes’ running back lost a fumble. By the start of his next series, Tech trailed 28-3.

Tech’s offense was prolific, but by then the outcome was a formality.

“That kid goes back into that game,” Dorsey said. “That’s competitiveness, what he means to the team. There’s a lot of things you can’t see on film. How he talks to teammates in certain situations, how he carries himself, what does he do in down situations? That’s what you look for in live games: How competitive is he? How tough is he?

“He shouldn’t have re-entered the game. But he wanted his team to win so bad. He said, ‘I’m playing.’ I thought that was gutty on his part.”

Scouting Mahomes always required some imagination. Tech’s defense was terrible — 128th out of 128 FBS teams in points surrendered. He was constantly playing catch-up, which meant more opportunities to throw downfield, but also more opportunities for mistakes.

That’s essentially what Dorsey walked into that afternoon in Ames, with the added complication of the injury. The tape is not without moments of promise from Mahomes. There’s a nice rollout to his left where he finds his man downfield. A few strong throws his receivers should’ve caught.

With the injury, and the game situation, Dorsey viewed each of those bursts on a favorable curve. He remembered more of what he saw on the sidelines, with Mahomes keeping his body language and communication strong in spite of the embarrassing score.

“To me, I’m looking for his toughness and competitive grit,” Dorsey said. “That was on full display that game.”

When the Chiefs traded up in the first round this month, they could’ve taken Clemson’s Deshaun Watson — a two-time Heisman Trophy finalist who threw for 420 yards and beat Alabama for the national championship with a last-minute touchdown drive.

Watson’s toughness and competitiveness can never be questioned. He’s also bigger, and faster. Mahomes’ arm and aptitude may have pulled him even, physically, but he still needed to convince the Chiefs he should be taken above one of the most accomplished college quarterbacks in years.

Dorsey was convinced, and not despite watching Mahomes’ worst game in person — but because of it.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The OL is good, with a chance to be very good.  The starting RB is very good.   With a healthy Ware, it's a deep unit.  The starting TE is very good.   The Gimmik player is the best in the NFL.   The rest of the WR's would be and will be fine for a real QB.   Alex drags every aspect of our Offense down when he plays like the crap he's played lately.  The OL, the RB, The receivers.  

D Line is fine.    CB 1-3 is fine.    Dorsey made a big mistake tying up and overpaying Sorenson.  DJ fell off a cliff quickly, which hurt, and although still a good overall player, so did Houston.   And Ford's been hurt.

You glossed over the Ford's been hurt thing. He is a first round pick with 59 tackles and 17.5 sacks in his career at age 26. He hasn't been hurt until this year. If you think the O Line is good with a chance to be very good, then you are so far out of your mind with Dorsey man love that there is no need to continue talking. And Alex has serious limitations, but the fact is we don't really have any reason to believe our wide receivers would be fine playing for another. The starting running back looks very human. Especially since he's running behind a good to great offensive line. And yes, we would be better if Spencer Ware and his 1300 career rushing yards were here, but come on.

And CB 1-3 is fine? You really should take a minute to watch a game before you post. It will make you look a lot smarter. We are 27th in passing defense. We have given up 10 40 yard receptions. 2nd most in the NFL. D-Line is fine? In what way? We are 29th in yards per game rushing allowed. 27th in yards per. 25th in sacks. There is not a single stat or eye test that would lead anyone to believe that we are fine at corner or D Line. And DJ is 35. He didn't fall off the cliff quickly. That is old for a middle linebacker and as far as I can tell there was no plan for depth behind him.

I would be a little weary about saying the player is Dorsey's pick if he never even once spoke with the head coach whereas multiple reports says that Reid spent a lot of time with both Mahomes and Klingsbury.  I know you want to protect Dorsey at all cost but if you do believe Mahomes was Dorsey's player and not Reid's, wouldn't that concern you that he didn't do his complete due diligence by something as simple as talking to the head coach?

The OL is good, with a chance to be very good.  The starting RB is very good.   With a healthy Ware, it's a deep unit.  The starting TE is very good.   The Gimmik player is the best in the NFL.   The rest of the WR's would be and will be fine for a real QB.   Alex drags every aspect of our Offense down when he plays like the crap he's played lately.  The OL, the RB, The receivers.  

D Line is fine.    CB 1-3 is fine.    Dorsey made a big mistake tying up and overpaying Sorenson.  DJ fell off a cliff quickly, which hurt, and although still a good overall player, so did Houston.   And Ford's been hurt.   

oline sucks

You glossed over the Ford's been hurt thing. He is a first round pick with 59 tackles and 17.5 sacks in his career at age 26. He hasn't been hurt until this year. If you think the O Line is good with a chance to be very good, then you are so far out of your mind with Dorsey man love that there is no need to continue talking. And Alex has serious limitations, but the fact is we don't really have any reason to believe our wide receivers would be fine playing for another. The starting running back looks very human. Especially since he's running behind a good to great offensive line. And yes, we would be better if Spencer Ware and his 1300 career rushing yards were here, but come on.

And CB 1-3 is fine? You really should take a minute to watch a game before you post. It will make you look a lot smarter. We are 27th in passing defense. We have given up 10 40 yard receptions. 2nd most in the NFL. D-Line is fine? In what way? We are 29th in yards per game rushing allowed. 27th in yards per. 25th in sacks. There is not a single stat or eye test that would lead anyone to believe that we are fine at corner or D Line. And DJ is 35. He didn't fall off the cliff quickly. That is old for a middle linebacker and as far as I can tell there was no plan for depth behind him.

Actually we do.   We saw how the WR's played in Pre Season for real QB's that look for them deep and in places real QB's throw.   That's all we got, but it's something.  The OL has 4 average or above NFL starters.   The current QB drags them down because he can't operate in an NFL pocket before panicking.   I'll stick with my assessment, thanks.  If they perform this way, playing in front of a real QB when they finally do, I'll reassess.  

I've watched every minute of every game.   Peters and Nelson are decent or better starting NFL CB's.   Peters needs to play tougher, but he's mega talented.  Nelson just recently returned.  #3 has been a problem, but Mitchell is a good player who they need to stick with.    When Gaines and/or Acker play, it's a shit show but no reason why they should play anymore.  DJ did fall off a cliff this year.  He can't play anymore.   Last year, he was adequate at worst, although showing signs of slippage.   This year he full out fell.  They've drafted for depth/development behind DJ for years, and now Veach continued that with trades.  

I would be a little weary about saying the player is Dorsey's pick if he never even once spoke with the head coach whereas multiple reports says that Reid spent a lot of time with both Mahomes and Klingsbury.  I know you want to protect Dorsey at all cost but if you do believe Mahomes was Dorsey's player and not Reid's, wouldn't that concern you that he didn't do his complete due diligence by something as simple as talking to the head coach?

So you think Dorsey is lying about personally scouting Mahomes??    He was the Chiefs player, not Dorsey's or Andy's.  They handled different aspects.   Andy is a QB guy.   It would be silly to not have him talk to the HC about Mahomes.  They were ALL in on him.   Dorsey ultimately pulled the trigger, after gathering all the info.   If Mahomes busts out, I'll be blaming Dorsey for the pick.   If Mahomes balls out, I'll be crediting Dorsey with the pick.   The GM that controls the draft gets ultimate credit or blame.  

Ill credit the same guy who I was furious at for making the move. Clark Hunt, who apparently saw this cliff coming before any of us did. Dorsey has 40 million dollars in LBs tying up our salary cap and only one of those guys has produced anything at all for us this year. The Tamba contract is beyond laughable because he knew about the knees. The secondary depth extends to exactly two corners and two safeties that actually are or will ever be NFL starting caliber players. CBs 3-5 ALL, ALL, ALL rank in the leagues bottom 10. That's awful. 4 years -16 million for Sorenson. Really?

The WR group is one of the most poorly thought out I have ever seen with two converted RBs being asked to carry the load minus any veteran whatsoever. And yet at the end of the day there's no doubt that when your QB play is bad, none of the rest of this matters. But to bury our heads in the sand and act like everything is okay except QB is short sighted and plain ignorant really. 

Seth KeysorVerified account @RealMNchiefsfan
FollowingFollowing @RealMNchiefsfan
More

Seth Keysor Retweeted JD

This has been discussed and debunked. @mellinger wrote on it. Andy Reid met with Mahomes for hours, had most of the contact (if not all) with his college coach. Reid was on board.

Who ever said Reid wasn't on board?   Besides some nutty KC Talk radio host who is an idiot.  

Dorsey didn't choose Mahomes???    Not only did he choose him, he decided the right price to pay for him.   

Andy picked Mahomes just like he picked Alex.  Zero doubt Dorsey is his own way contributed. Just as Veach did. But Andy picks the QBs and always has in both Philly and KC. But Dorsey did indeed orchestrate both trades and decide the compensation we would be willing to trade for each. I've got zero issues with either trade by the way even though I know you think Dorsey massively overpaid for Alex. 

Actually we do.   We saw how the WR's played in Pre Season for real QB's that look for them deep and in places real QB's throw.   That's all we got, but it's something.  The OL has 4 average or above NFL starters.   The current QB drags them down because he can't operate in an NFL pocket before panicking.   I'll stick with my assessment, thanks.  If they perform this way, playing in front of a real QB when they finally do, I'll reassess.  

I've watched every minute of every game.   Peters and Nelson are decent or better starting NFL CB's.   Peters needs to play tougher, but he's mega talented.  #3 has been a problem, but Mitchell is a good player who they need to stick with.    When Gaines and/or Acker play, it's a shit show but no reason why they should play anymore.  DJ did fall off a cliff this year.  He can't play anymore.   Last year, he was adequate at worst, although showing signs of slippage.   This year he full out fell.  They've drafted for depth/development behind DJ for years, and now Veach continued that with trades.

You saw them in the preseason against non first team defenders in games that don't matter. We really don't know. You can speculate, but there's no reason to think that Albert Wilson, De Anthony Thomas, and Demarcus Robinson are anything beyond poor. And they are the only listed wide receivers other than Hill now that Conley is out. I would say it's questionable to even call DAT a wide receiver, but I guess NFL rules probably say we have to call somebody wide receivers. But if you are sure that DAT, Wilson and Robinson are a good bunch based on some preseason games, then I think you should get Dorsey fan of the year consideration.

And if you think the OLine problems are all on Smith then again you really are clueless. Smith panics for sure. But there's also pressure early for sure. And there is zero running game. Fisher is probably average. Morse probably is too. Beyond that, average is wishful thinking.

You saw them in the preseason against non first team defenders in games that don't matter. We really don't know. You can speculate, but there's no reason to think that Albert Wilson, De Anthony Thomas, and Demarcus Robinson are anything beyond poor. And they are the only listed wide receivers other than Hill now that Conley is out. I would say it's questionable to even call DAT a wide receiver, but I guess NFL rules probably say we have to call somebody that. But if you are sure that DAT, Wilson and Robinson are a good bunch based on some preseason games, then I think you should get Dorsey fan of the year consideration.

And if you think the OLine problems are all on Smith then again you really are clueless. Smith panics for sure. But there's also pressure early for sure. And there is zero running game. Fisher is probably average. Morse probably is too. Beyond that, average is wishful thinking.

There are so many screenshots of Alex panicking without any pressure, it's silly to continue if you think he doesn't. 

Why is there zero running game?    Is it because Hunt stinks, the same Hunt who was tearing up the league early on?   Or maybe there's a deeper reason.   Try hard, you might come up with it.  

Robinson, Conley, Chesson, Hill will be very good WR's group for a real QB, when we roll one out.  Wouldn't be surprised if Kemp is also a pretty big contributor.  

Wilson and DAT, probably not so much.   

Kliff Kingsbury....

“I hadn’t heard that (on Dorsey firing). I didn’t have ANY dealings with him. I dealt with coach (Andy) Reid. I didn’t know that, but that’s surprising.”

Kliff Kingsbury....

“I hadn’t heard that (on Dorsey firing). I didn’t have ANY dealings with him. I dealt with coach (Andy) Reid. I didn’t know that, but that’s surprising.”

So you think Dorsey was lying about personally scouting Mahomes at least twice.  Maybe you'll answer, since the other guy didn't.  

So you think Dorsey is lying about personally scouting Mahomes??    He was the Chiefs player, not Dorsey's or Andy's.  They handled different aspects.   Andy is a QB guy.   It would be silly to not have him talk to the HC about Mahomes.  They were ALL in on him.   Dorsey ultimately pulled the trigger, after gathering all the info.   If Mahomes busts out, I'll be blaming Dorsey for the pick.   If Mahomes balls out, I'll be crediting Dorsey with the pick.   The GM that controls the draft gets ultimate credit or blame.  

Why don't you tell me where I said he was lying?????

I never disputed that he watched him play, I just pointed out the fact that he never spoke to the head coach which means either someone else did the heavy due diligence work on Mahomes (aka. led up the scouting) or Dorsey if he was the main person scouting him than he didn't due his due diligence.

So you think Dorsey was lying about personally scouting Mahomes at least twice.  Maybe you'll answer, since the other guy didn't.  

Maybe you should quit putting words in our mouth, why don't you answer my question.  Do you think Reid or Dorsey did the heavy scouting on Mahomes based on all the evidence?

Andy picked Mahomes just like he picked Alex. Zero doubt Dorsey is his own way contributed. Just as Veach did. But Andy picks the QBs and always has in both Philly and KC. But Dorsey did indeed orchestrate both trades and decide the compensation we would be willing to trade for each. I've got zero issues with either trade by the way even though I know you think Dorsey massively overpaid for Alex.

I think Dorsey had input but personnel is all Andy. I still believe that Dorsey’s job was to be a yes man to Andy and just handle the contracts, and it was a group of bad contracts that ultimately got him fired. For better or worse, the football operations are all about Andy and what Andy wants.

Maybe you should quit putting words in our mouth, why don't you answer my question.  Do you think Reid or Dorsey did the heavy scouting on Mahomes based on all the evidence?

I put no words in your mouth, I asked you a question.  Which you still seem reluctant to answer because it blows your narrative, maybe?  

I did answer your question.  I'll do it again, with more clarity.  It was a joint effort.  Dorsey did what he does.  Scout and evaluate the player, and make final decisions.   Andy did what he does, speak about technical QB stuff.  The Regional scouts do what they do, the scouting director did what he does.  Dorsey, as the GM brings it all together, and made the decision.  

When Dorsey wanted to find out what made Peters tick, he sent Ballard to do the heavy detail work.  That's what a good GM does.  Delegate, evaluate the info.  

I think Dorsey had input but personnel is all Andy. I still believe that Dorsey’s job was to be a yes man to Andy and just handle the contracts, and it was a group of bad contracts that ultimately got him fired. For better or worse, the football operations are all about Andy and what Andy wants.

I really doubt Andy is evaluating a 5th round ILB from Georgia Southern anymore.  The big decisions, especially on the Offensive side of the ball, and especially with NFL Vets.  Yeah, I could see that, and probably moreso with Veach than with Dorsey.   I just don't think he's deep in the weeds on personnel anymore.  

I don't really buy that. I think there are certain key acquisitions that Andy is more involved in than others and that certainly includes any QB. But Ive read to many comments from Andy that say something akin to that's a Dorsey guy or that's a Veach guy or whatever. You really think Andy would have been at Maclins wedding two weeks before they were preparing to cut him and not give him any heads up? I think we saw the communication problem we were hearing about right there.

No doubt Andy has always been the king of the castle since he arrived here as he should be. But I think he's allowed the front office to do their thing without massive micromanagement that he just doesn't have time for. If that changes or changed he will get himself into trouble simply because of the time involved. 

I really doubt Andy is evaluating a 5th round ILB from Georgia Southern anymore.  The big decisions, especially on the Offensive side of the ball, and especially with NFL Vets.  Yeah, I could see that, and probably moreso with Veach than with Dorsey.   I just don't think he's deep in the weeds on personnel anymore.  

If he is doing that we are in trouble. There simply is not time for a head coach to effectively scout every college player that will be drafted. He has to trust his staff or it all breaks down. 

I put no words in your mouth, I asked you a question. Which you still seem reluctant to answer because it blows your narrative, maybe?

I did answer your question. I'll do it again, with more clarity. It was a joint effort. Dorsey did what he does. Scout and evaluate the player, and make final decisions. Andy did what he does, speak about technical QB stuff. The Regional scouts do what they do, the scouting director did what he does. Dorsey, as the GM brings it all together, and made the decision.

When Dorsey wanted to find out what made Peters tick, he sent Ballard to do the heavy detail work. That's what a good GM does. Delegate, evaluate the info.

Right, I didn’t answer the question, do you even read posts before making incorrect comments on them? Maybe take your own advice, you skated around the direct question as usual. Don’t bother answering it now, reread your assumption of me having a narrative and maybe try less assumptions if you want to try to have a reasonable discussion, it’s your go to but doesn’t help anyone.

He didn’t even talk to the head coach, that is not a minor detail, that right there tells you it wasn’t a joint effort. It was Andy heavily evaluating him and Dorsey doing a few details on his own but trusting Andy enough to give the ok to draft him, hence Andy player.

Not at all. As I said earlier he scouted him in his own way.  This was very much an organization that all signs point to being in complete agreement about Mahomes. Obviously Veach was also very involved based on specific comments as well.  Ultimately once they had the skill set pegged and wanted to know more about the coachability of this player, it came down to Andy. Once he was sold on that, he probably told Dorsey to go get him.  

Right, I didn’t answer the question, do you even read posts before making incorrect comments on them? Maybe take your own advice, you skated around the direct question as usual. Don’t bother answering it now, reread your assumption of me having a narrative and maybe try less assumptions if you want to try to have a reasonable discussion, it’s your go to but doesn’t help anyone.

He didn’t even talk to the head coach, that is not a minor detail, that right there tells you it wasn’t a joint effort. It was Andy heavily evaluating him and Dorsey doing a few details on his own but trusting Andy enough to give the ok to draft him, hence Andy player.

I answered your question directly, and thoroughly, unlike you.   You have no idea if Dorsey's job entailed talking to the Head Coach.   Dorsey evaluated him, scouted him personally, , liked him enough to do further follow up, and then had Andy talk to the Head Coach.  Since it was a QB, and Andy is a QB guy that makes perfect sense.  It was a joint Chiefs effort, by everyone involved.  With Dorsey as GM having final say.  

Archived