Dorsey was not good? Awful Depth?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I answered your question directly, and thoroughly, unlike you.   You have no idea if Dorsey's job entailed talking to the Head Coach.   Dorsey evaluated him, scouted him personally, , liked him enough to do further follow up, and then had Andy talk to the Head Coach.  Since it was a QB, and Andy is a QB guy that makes perfect sense.  It was a joint Chiefs effort, by everyone involved.  With Dorsey as GM having final say.  

There is however no chance Dorsey had final say on Mahomes. That was all Andy. I think Dorsey went off grid and did make some moves without Andy's approval. And it doesn't necessarily mean those were bad moves since we can't really pin point when that happened. But you aren't going off grid with a decision that big. We all know Andy evaluated all legit QB options in 2013 and told Dorse to go get Alex. Same thing happened here. 

Seriously, I think Dorsey was good at finding talent. We really built some depth a this team when none existed. Now where I think he struggled was with high end talent that needed resigned.

Dorsey > Pioli

That's not even debatable. Pioli was awful.

Seriously, I think Dorsey was good at finding talent. We really built some depth a this team when none existed. Now where I think he struggled was with high end talent that needed resigned.

Dorsey > Pioli

Not seeing any quality depth. Guys go out and next man up sucks! NO depth anywhere? Receiver NO. Running Back NO. Oline Absolutely pathetic. Corner NO WAY. Linebackers absolutely pathetic. Dline Maybe ? Where is there good depth? The 53 is not deep.

I heard that Veach was the guy that scouted Mahomes, at least initially. That he was the first and loudest person in the room supporting him. But some of that can be spin to push Dorsey out of favor or to promote Veach.

Somebody has to be 1st.  Probably the area scout, and/or the director of College scouting(Veach), and then up the chain.  A good GM, like Dorsey was,  delegates, evaluates the people he delegates, gets data from all sources, and makes the final call.  

Common guys, we've been blown away year after year by the talent Dorsey has found. I think the talent is here, but it goes back to bend and break defensive scheme and the same predictable offense we've seen year after year. If you're going to base both offensive and defensive play calling with the mindset of playing not to lose, talent won't matter; you've lost before you begun

So you think Dorsey was lying about personally scouting Mahomes at least twice. Maybe you'll answer, since the other guy didn't.

To be fair he saw him at 2 games

Who scouted him up to that pint or wanted him to have him go to those games? I think it was a Reid push with Veach doing a lot of leg work the Dorsey doing his part after Reid kept talking to the coach etc. We did what we needed to do for Smith. 2 second round picks sucked but we did get a stabilized position finally and able to win with 5 seasons of a winning record. Hopefully we get our 2nd division in a row, a first ever for us too. Smith was better than what was out there with only passing on David Carr instead of Ford was it as something we can say we had a chance at. I don't count late 3rd or later picks because they can work out but we had those picks to use every year but the one for Maclin tampering and we have done pretty well with our 3rd rounders too.

Also i thought our depth was good when Dorsey left. We had what looked like good depth and development going on. Injuries or over paid contracts though along with s few oicks that did not work has shown us where we truly are. We need cb, te, we, lb badly still. Hopefully with the cap we can address with good to qualify guys and use the draft for the other areas too. We will see.

To be fair he saw him at 2 games

Who scouted him up to that pint or wanted him to have him go to those games? I think it was a Reid push with Veach doing a lot of leg work the Dorsey doing his part after Reid kept talking to the coach etc. We did what we needed to do for Smith. 2 second round picks sucked but we did get a stabilized position finally and able to win with 5 seasons of a winning record. Hopefully we get our 2nd division in a row, a first ever for us too. Smith was better than what was out there with only passing on David Carr instead of Ford was it as something we can say we had a chance at. I don't count late 3rd or later picks because they can work out but we had those picks to use every year but the one for Maclin tampering and we have done pretty well with our 3rd rounders too.

I seriously doubt Andy had anything to do with, or about Mahomes, until after the 2016 NFL season was over.   So I would not think Dorsey went down to watch Mahomes because Reid told him to.  He likely went down there on the recommendation of Area Scout/Veach, his scouting network, etc.  

I think Dorsey had input but personnel is all Andy. I still believe that Dorsey’s job was to be a yes man to Andy and just handle the contracts, and it was a group of bad contracts that ultimately got him fired. For better or worse, the football operations are all about Andy and what Andy wants.

When Brett Beach was hired, in his introductory presser he said that in the night prior to the drafts the entire personnel department SLEPT IN THE DRAFT ROOM while finalizing their board. Literally talked about sleeping bags. He said that's how Dorsey rolled and talked about how much he had learned from him.

So you think Dorsey is lying about personally scouting Mahomes??     

Even Reid talked about how much Dorsey wanted Mahomes and stated that Dorsey becomes very aggressive in the draft to get a guy he likes. The only possible scenario is that regional scouts mentioned Mahomes to Dorsey and some other staff (likely a guy like Veach) was assigned to him and Dorsey personally went to watch him a couple times before making the pick. Obviously Reid went over the tape about him as his input is important but that's not much different than what we get to watch on Saturdays. The only difference is that we don't get to watch every snap of every prospect whereas the front office has that option for all QBs over the offseason. May be Reid could have watched Mahomes live on the bye week but that's about it. 

People can speculate all they want but the only truth is that Chiefs front office scouted and then drafted Mahomes. People had different roles at different times. Even Hunt was a part of that decision. Obviously GM is the one that makes the final official decision so it's easy to blame or praise him in the end but whenever he's used in such a manner it's always referring to his front office.

You guys are acting like we were lucky to find Mahomes thanks to some regional scout finding him at a Mexican high school football game. Even I knew about Mahomes. And Kizer. And Watson. And Trubisky. These guys aren't secret. And they play on television weekly.

Ha exactly, seems like baseball and football are being confused.  That's my whole point with it not being about 'discovering' Mahomes but instead completely vetting him out which is why it appears Dorsey relied on Reid who led the charge because he personally talked to Klingsbury multiple times (which would signal to me him being the guy doing the due diligence).   Obviously every person had input and most likely saw him play or did their own due diligence on him, it just appears that one guy led that charge (Reid).

Archived