I still have hope for eligwe to replace DJ. Ragland and eligwe would be a nice combo. With Ramik, KPL, and Terrance Smith as depth

I think Eligwe is special. 100% agree that he could be the DJ replacement. Such great awareness of what is going on around him. He and Kpass have huge upside. I wish he could get some snaps.

Zombo was also outstanding.   I know he's one of the whipping boys here, but he is not a problem on this team.  Ideally he's not a starter but as depth, and special teams, he's a fine player.  

K Pass also was in the backfield on someone else's sack, and seems to be developing in his limited play.  

I'd love to see DJ benched for good, and let Eligwe get into the rotation at ILB.  

Zombo was also outstanding.   I know he's one of the whipping boys here, but he is not a problem on this team.  Ideally he's not a starter but as depth, and special teams, he's a fine player.  

K Pass also was in the backfield on someone else's sack, and seems to be developing in his limited play.  

I'd love to see DJ benched for good, and let Eligwe get into the rotation at ILB.  

Zombo....I can't believe I'm saying this, but I miss Dee Ford.

I think he is/was the missing link to our pass rush.

The pass rush looked so much better when he was in.

Dee ford is safe for next year since we will already be replacing linebackers Hali and dj. That’s not me endorsing ford, just stating that I don’t think they try to turn over 3 spots in the same group in one offseason. I think we have a young group of linebackers that are going to be really good, we just need to fill in a few more spots there. We also need to find a long term solution at safety since Berry can’t seem to stay on the field. I feel like the defense is close to being a top tier unit, it just needs a safety, 2 linebackers and some better depth at corner. That said, I could see a scenario where the chiefs try to steal a few years at the back end of Revis’s career by moving him to fs.

I like the Ragland/KPL/Egliwe combo's at ILB. Kpass looked servicable yesterday too.

I think once we let Smith, Hali, DJ and some of these other scrubs walk, we should free up enough cash to sign a couple of good FA's.

I think we have a 2nd round pick, we should take the best CB, Pass Rusher or NT on the board, imo.

. I think we may have found that thumper we haven't had here in the Reid era. And the best young kicker in the NFL. KPL has also played a definite role in helping our run defense. With very limited time Veach has found some real tangible potential pieces to our future. Well done. Now its time to dump the underachieving overpaid pieces and get younger and faster. 

Dee ford is safe for next year since we will already be replacing linebackers Hali and dj. That’s not me endorsing ford, just stating that I don’t think they try to turn over 3 spots in the same group in one offseason. I think we have a young group of linebackers that are going to be really good, we just need to fill in a few more spots there. We also need to find a long term solution at safety since Berry can’t seem to stay on the field. I feel like the defense is close to being a top tier unit, it just needs a safety, 2 linebackers and some better depth at corner. That said, I could see a scenario where the chiefs try to steal a few years at the back end of Revis’s career by moving him to fs.

I'm not quite a bullish on our talent level on defense but there is clear talent there to build around. The problem with our defense more than anything is that we don't have a pass rush anyone outside of J Houston that can get to the QB. And minus that pass rush it doesn't take advantage of your favorite player (Peters LOL) ball hawking skills and he almost become a liability. Anything we get from Revis has to be an upgrade on the outside in the short term. We've got no legit answer out there and it needs to be addressed next offseason in earnest. And we have to find that guy to play opposite of Justin Houston as well since Dee Ford clearly isn't that guy. But I do agree he's back next season unless this back deal is serious. So minus a first round pick and with other serious needs like a big WR Veach may wait another year on that. 

Berry needs to come back and play well because we are locked in with him just like Houston. Fortunately we can get rid of Tamba's ridiculous contract. 

I’m bullish on the defensive line and a few linebackers. We definitely need another outside pass rusher, but I also think we have to start looking for a replacement for berry. Dirty Dan is a fantastic backup and situational player but he shouldn’t be starting. If (and it’s a big if) Revis can regain his form, we could ride him next year, trade peters and get another corner in the draft or free agency. I’m good with keeping Parker , and murray. If I were running the show, I’d trade peters, and cut Hali , dj, Gaines. I’d explore trade options for berry , and if no takers I consider letting him walk. He’s a great story but constantly fights injuries. Basically I’d be on the hunt for an inside linebacker and a pass rusher, then completely rebuild the secondary. There’s no better time to do it than when mahomes is in his first season, and despite needing a few personnel tweaks like a big possession receiver, I think overall the offense is more talented than the defense.

No I don’t think trading Peters ans Berry will help our superbowl odds when Mahomes takes over

We aren’t going to the super bowl next year regardless. Such expectations of a first year qb/2nd year pro would absurd. That’s why I suggested the trades. Also ,given recent history , what makes you think berry won’t be out with injury by this time next year ?

I’m bullish on the defensive line and a few linebackers. We definitely need another outside pass rusher, but I also think we have to start looking for a replacement for berry. Dirty Dan is a fantastic backup and situational player but he shouldn’t be starting. If (and it’s a big if) Revis can regain his form, we could ride him next year, trade peters and get another corner in the draft or free agency. I’m good with keeping Parker , and murray. If I were running the show, I’d trade peters, and cut Hali , dj, Gaines. I’d explore trade options for berry , and if no takers I consider letting him walk. He’s a great story but constantly fights injuries. Basically I’d be on the hunt for an inside linebacker and a pass rusher, then completely rebuild the secondary. There’s no better time to do it than when mahomes is in his first season, and despite needing a few personnel tweaks like a big possession receiver, I think overall the offense is more talented than the defense.

Letting Berry walk??? Are you high? The dead money would be absolutely crippling...

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/eric-berry-6514/

We aren’t going to the super bowl next year regardless. Such expectations of a first year qb/2nd year pro would absurd. That’s why I suggested the trades. Also ,given recent history , what makes you think berry won’t be out with injury by this time next year ?

The same could be said for everyone. By that logic we should just cut Mahomes with the notion that he might be injured next year.

Roethlisberger, Brady, Wilson and Warner all won the SB their second season in the NFL off the top of my head. You can win one but to be fair, they all played the first year other than Warner, who was playing in Europe NFL and Arena League before that.

We have a Kelce, Hill, and Hunt all in their prime. All we need is a QB that can deliver. If Mahomes does so, like Smith did the first five weeks, this team is a superbowl contender. Easy. Out of 16 teams, the AFC has only 2 that are superbowl contenders this year - Pitt and NE. The AFC is weak 

They have to let DJ & Hali go this off season. They are done. I'd let Ford play out his contract then let him walk. This team really is at a point where they just need to keep adding talent. Depth at CB is weak, this is a passing league & you need a stable of pass rush plus cover corners. Revis is cool but we don't know what to expect. Peters is three only guy we know that is dependable right now. Sorenson, Parker,

& Mitchell is good enough to keep around but the other DB's are garbage.

Now that we have Mahomes they need to obtain weapons that compliment his skills. Even though the OL looks like garbage I think some of the issues is Andy doesn't mix different run schemes to keep defenses off balance. Teams have keyed in on how to stop our zone scheme. Mix in power gap to help the OL.

We have a Kelce, Hill, and Hunt all in their prime. All we need is a QB that can deliver. If Mahomes does so, like Smith did the first five weeks, this team is a superbowl contender. Easy. Out of 16 teams, the AFC has only 2 that are superbowl contenders this year - Pitt and NE. The AFC is weak 

I'm as bullish as anyone, if not more so, on Mahomes, but don't you think that's a pretty lofty expectation of a guy in his first year?  Also, while I won't dispute that Hill is a weapon, he's not a #1 receiver, and his effectiveness is hampered by not having a guy across the way to be a threat to the defense.  Hunt will be great, but he needs help, and we need more of a passing game threat than just Hill and Kelce.  I do think the running game would benefit greatly from Mahomes, and most notably Kelce, because Mahomes can and will make those seam throws that can devastate a zone defense.  

Also, I would prefer the franchise do this for the next decade, not next year.  It's a tired analogy, but I would prefer to use the Patriot formula of not handing out big contracts and doing everything possible to make the super bowl threat an extended thing, IE not saying "this is the year" and trying to supplement with some big name FAs to try to get over the hump at the expense of a full rebuild later.  If I had a choice between a Super Bowl win in 2018-19 or a Super Bow win and another Super Bowl appearance scattered about 2020-2025, I'm taking the latter.  It's the sense of urgency to win now that sets franchises back 5 years, and I really don't want that philosophy happening here.

Archived