Andy Reid is bulletproof

I think once Andy realized the 2013 draft class at QB was awful, he started piecing together what type of team he had and what the QB needed to do to win games here. He didn't need some dynamic elite passer if he played to the teams strength on defense. So Alex was a perfect complementary player and a good plan B to a true franchise guy. It worked too, just not in January because the defense and Jamaal Charles were never healthy. Now the defense has started to erode and we need a more dynamic QB. And a more dynamic QB can also likewise help us to not be as suscepible to injury or some roster issues elsewhere.

Heck we saw a glimpse of this when Alex played out of his ass the first 5 weeks. Andy is looking for a lot more of that which is why he drafted Mahomes. But can a rookie really give that to this team right now or are we better off trying to add a veteran corner, get Tamba 20 snaps a game and generally hope the defense can rebound enough to make us competitive under the style that worked the first four years. I think most of us doubt it will work, but its hard in the short term for blaming Andy for trying. Plus there's the whole issue of trying to trade a QB that is struggling so much he had to be benched. Can Alex rebound and play well in any game is the question?

If Smith could play somewhere between his average and how he started the season, this plan would be the perfect situation because it does not put us into a losing situation but still builds for the future. Everyone would loved to have paid Smith less, giving up less for Smith, have given less for Mahomes, had Mahomes earlier, but otherwise, if we can get that, it would be the best.

Now, I expect something in between his poor play and his first five games. Yes, that means above his average is possible, just not saying probable. We are playing lesser teams then the first five going forward and yes, I know that we just lost to lesser teams, but it should get better? And while I do not expect the Super Bowl let alone a playoff win, I am always hoping for more than I expect.

Archived