Interesting Comments from Morse

C MITCH MORSE

Are there things carrying over from week to week that aren’t working or are there new differences?  “Games like this you have to look at yourself as an individual.  I can only speak for myself and there is plenty that I need to get better at to put my team in a better situation.”

What is the frustration level like right now?  “It is extremely frustrating.  We have a championship caliber team.   I can only speak for myself but stupid mental mistakes and physical errors are putting us out of position to put our offense in a situation to score.”

How much of this is on the quarterback and how much is on everyone else?  “Like I said, I can’t speak for anyone but myself and for me it’s not acceptable.  I’ll look internally.  Hopefully coach critiques me hard and I’ll critique myself harder and we will go from there.  As for that, I have no statement.” :huh: 

Is there a sense of shock after this game?  “No one goes out to play horrible.  So, that’s shocking.  I can’t speak for anyone except myself. I don’t know what you want me to say.”

I don't know what's so interesting about it. I like his accountability. He doesn't throw his QB under the bus. Probably wishes he could push him in front of one.

I have never in my life seen a QB go from the level of play Smith was at early in the year to this. It's mind boggling that this is the same QB. He is singlehandedly compromising a plays chance to develop almost from the time the ball is snapped.

The second he sees a lineman so much as move backward the play is pretty much toast. He stops looking down field, shits his pants, flees the safe area he has in the pocket, looks for the underneath route or checkdown, rinse, repeat...

I don't know what's so interesting about it. I like his accountability. He doesn't throw his QB under the bus. Probably wishes he could push him in front of one.

I have never in my life seen a QB go from the level of play Smith was at early in the year to this. It's mind boggling that this is the same QB. He is singlehandedly compromising a plays chance to develop almost from the time the ball is snapped.

The second he sees a lineman so much as move backward the play is pretty much toast. He stops looking down field, shits his pants, flees the safe area he has in the pocket, looks for the underneath route or checkdown, rinse, repeat...

I found it interesting because he did, in effect, throw his QB under the bus.  In the NFL, when you don't express unconditional support for the current starting QB,  you're kinda throwing him under the bus.   I like it.  

He's not saying it directly but sure is implying that he's not happy with the situation. Players only remain silent when they are not happy with someone and a player like Morse could miss out on a payday due to Smith's errors which he shouldn't be happy with.

I found it interesting because he did, in effect, throw his QB under the bus.  In the NFL, when you don't express unconditional support for the current starting QB,  you're kinda throwing him under the bus.   I like it.

You know these guys are sick of this shit. Reid was scheming this offense to new levels earlier in the year before Pittsburgh reminded everyone what the blueprint was for beating us. But the players know that was more Reid than Smith.

Smith is taking the fun out of the game for everyone. Offensive players want to score points, hug in the end zone, put pressure on defenses. It has to be infuriating to have a 13 yr veteran at QB playing like he's never seen the looks defenses are giving.

Maybe Mahummus is just lighting it up at practice. Players are starting to realize and anticipate when the change will be made. Until then, this team is not stable. They lack direction and any sort of goals or motives which they aspired early on have been thrown out the window. 

Yeah, I agree it's a subtle nod that the qb play is bad. Normally guys come out fired up to defend a qb or player they believe in and trust. When you kinda dance around it and not unconditionally support your guy you are making a statement. Look, we watch the clips where he is dancing around like a circus animal and missing open guys, so you know everyone of those guys sees that crap when they review film. lineman are getting thrown under the bus, wr supposedly aren't getting open etc etc. guys will take te blame for a game or two but we are at the point where if he doesn't revert back to "Alex 2.0", we will have a splintered locker room. We might already be there.

To me it came off as him talking about the issues on the team but trying to make it about him. Listen to what he is saying. It is whats wrong. He is trying to be a good teammate and not point fingers directly. The issues aren't on Morse.

I agree. I think the answers given were simple non answers. Morse is a smart dude, and he knows that regardless of your feelings, once things spill into the press a bad situation gets worse. I took his refusal to comment on other players as him essentially saying I’m not going to comment on the performance of anyone but myself. I think he handled it wonderfully.

Archived