No more Mahomes talk!!!!

Despite those struggles, however, "the Chiefs are not inclined to make any switch at quarterback, team sources said, though the staff does remain very bullish on first-round pick Patrick Mahomes and his ability to take over as soon as next season," according to Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports.

Per that report, "Mahomes continues to impress teammates and coaches with his efforts in practice and how he conducts himself in meetings and around the facility, and there is a strong sense that he could be a franchise quarterback sooner rather than later."

I wonder if the season continues to go south if Clark will push for the change? I know he’s pretty hands off but I also know in recent years he hasn’t been afraid to step in.

I really doubt that. I do think the way last offseason went that he was heavily involved in the push to go ahead and make that trade to get Mahomes. But I sense the organization is willing to sink or swim this year with the veterans. It's likely going to be a whole new ballgame next year. 

I trust Alex in January. They were the 4th seed in the AFC before the weekend, and they’re the 4th seed after the weekend. They’ve lost zero ground in playoff seeding.

Just make the playoffs, and anything can happen come January, such as Alex F it Smith coming back to life

Mahomes is Reid's guy, at the end of the day it won't be Hunt or Veach wanting a change at QB, it'll be Reid who will make that decision especially because he's not getting a player forced on him.

Very true. And Andy does have a history of switching QBs. But listening to that presser he sounds pretty frustrated with the entire group. 

I thought this was an interesting read:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/11/27/kansas-city-chiefs-alex-smith-andy-reid-losing-streak-offense

What the Chiefs must do in the here and now is punish defenses for playing zone. You do that by going for big plays. Re-establishing a sustainable ground and screen game with rookie running back Kareem Hunt is important, sure, but the threat of steady, sustained drives is not what worries defensive coordinators—especially coordinators who are playing zone. Big plays worry them. And it’s that worry that will drag defensive play-callers away from soft zones, giving Kansas City’s foundational misdirection and gadgetry a chance to start working again.

You beat zones by attacking them vertically. Instead of aligning Hill and all-world tight end Travis Kelce all over the formation and finding creative ways to get them the ball, align those two together on the same side and run them downfield against the same zone defender. In football parlance, that’s called sending “two through a zone.” It forces zone defenders to make either-or decisions.

Most of this occurs near the seams and middle of the field, where you’re facing safeties and linebackers. In that scenario, even when the defender is right his result can still be wrong, given that few safeties and linebackers can match up with Kelce, and none can match up with Hill. One or two big plays like this and the Chiefs can get a defense adjusting (or even abandoning) its zone coverages.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/11/27/kansas-city-chiefs-alex-smith-andy-reid-losing-streak-offense

What the Chiefs must do in the here and now is punish defenses for playing zone. You do that by going for big plays. Re-establishing a sustainable ground and screen game with rookie running back Kareem Hunt is important, sure, but the threat of steady, sustained drives is not what worries defensive coordinators—especially coordinators who are playing zone. Big plays worry them. And it’s that worry that will drag defensive play-callers away from soft zones, giving Kansas City’s foundational misdirection and gadgetry a chance to start working again.

You beat zones by attacking them vertically. Instead of aligning Hill and all-world tight end Travis Kelce all over the formation and finding creative ways to get them the ball, align those two together on the same side and run them downfield against the same zone defender. In football parlance, that’s called sending “two through a zone.” It forces zone defenders to make either-or decisions.

Most of this occurs near the seams and middle of the field, where you’re facing safeties and linebackers. In that scenario, even when the defender is right his result can still be wrong, given that few safeties and linebackers can match up with Kelce, and none can match up with Hill. One or two big plays like this and the Chiefs can get a defense adjusting (or even abandoning) its zone coverages.

All true, but if the QB can't/is too scared/refuses to see, and get the ball to the Wide open receivers busting the zone coverage, it's all moot.   We know the ways to beat the D's we've been facing, but the QB has to be willing to do the things necessary to so, and he's reverted back to the player that can't/won't.   How do we get F it Alex back?   That's the question.  I sure don't know the answer, and it seems no one does.   

This is a tremendous read backed up by tangible data. The author is very close to my thoughts on Alex overall that he is a solid largely underrated QB by the fan base but hardly anywhere near elite. But this story pretty much lays out the reality that Alex has regressed and his weaknesses are being exploited with regularity now. The oline hasn't been good, play calling suspect, WRs have run some bad routes; but this slump is indeed mainly on Alex. If you don't wish to read the entire article these two paragraphs I find most interesting. A case being made for Mahomes. Now we can see this isn't likely going to happen until next season. But nonetheless its compelling.

However, I’d urge you to take a look at the specific weaknesses teams are picking at currently against the Chiefs. They are keying on Kareem Hunt, keeping defenders close to the line of scrimmage, selling out to stop Hunt from getting going, and showing almost no respect for deep and intermediate boundary throws. They are counting on mixing Alex up presnap, forcing him to go away from his first read, buy time in the pocket, and throw with anticipation against zone. All of those go against Alex’s biggest weaknesses: post-snap reads, pocket presence, and “dangerous” throws.

Guess whose SPECIFIC strengths all of those things are? Patrick Mahomes. So again, telling me you’re “tanking the season” makes no sense when the offense is already performing at a league-worst rate and Mahomes happens to have the exact skillset to beat what is currently killing them.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2017/11/26/16702708/what-the-chiefs-should-do-with-alex-smith-and-patrick-mahomes

Flood route concepts all day long. You attack multiple levels of the zone to the same side and one will open up. Unfortunately, Alex can't look past his dump off so it's moot. The coaches and the receivers are beating zone. Alex Smith is not. 

I trust Alex in January. They were the 4th seed in the AFC before the weekend, and they’re the 4th seed after the weekend. They’ve lost zero ground in playoff seeding.

Just make the playoffs, and anything can happen come January, such as Alex F it Smith coming back to life

Wait, this is a late April Fools thing right? You trust Alex in January???? I’m literally falling out of my chair.

Flood route concepts all day long. You attack multiple levels of the zone to the same side and one will open up. Unfortunately, Alex can't look past his dump off so it's moot. The coaches and the receivers are beating zone. Alex Smith is not. 

Colin Cowherd said it right here. This was back in October when the Chiefs were undefeated still.

Lol, I trust Alex more than Mahomes in January. Should have clarified haha

Good thing the Chiefs final regular season game is December 31st. This team will have to do a complete 360 to even think about games in January. 

What all the “football people” are missing is that Alex makes football painful to watch. He may be “good” at not making mistakes, but my gosh, I hate football on Sunday. Andy and Alex have made me hate football the last few years. It isn’t fun to watch and we always play down to the competition and rarely play up to it either. Games are too close and our wins are generally ugly and losses uglier.

The fanbase has gone a decade with absolutely nothing fun to watch on offense save Charles. If we are not going to win the super bowl, at least try to make it fun. Chiefs haven’t been fun for too long.

Archived