Oh Boy.....so it starts in the National Media

They all know what the problem is. Its just a question of whether Mahomes is ready enough to not ADD to the problem. It doesnt matter honestly because Reid will sink or swim with Smith.

Like the fans in Philly told us...he has been regurgitating the same shit for almost 20 yrs. "I have to put him (Smith) in better position to make plays." This is asinine. Smith is in a position to make a play every time the ball is snapped into his incapable hands.

Be refreshing to hear Reid call a spade a spade. Smith is a bum and its costing us our season. Reid is back to having to call an ultra conservative, simple game plan because it's all this fragile motherfucker can handle right now.

Nice to know they only one player is that he problem. 3 weeks ago everything was Sutton’s fault. Guess it’s good we didn’t fir him.

We would be better with Mahomes, but the thought that it fixes all our problems is wishful thinking. In 4 weeks half the people on here would be calling him a bust and demanding Andy’s head for trading up.

Remember that time the chiefs started 1-5, then won the rest of their games..

So I'm saying there's a chance... :P :D

Andy Reid easily outclasses the other coaches in this division and it's why we've won 13 of our last 14 against the West. IF this team has any gas left in the tank we have a chance with 3 of our last 5 within the division. I'm just not sure that we do.

They all know what the problem is. Its just a question of whether Mahomes is ready enough to not ADD to the problem. It doesnt matter honestly because Reid will sink or swim with Smith.

Like the fans in Philly told us...he has been regurgitating the same shit for almost 20 yrs. "I have to put him (Smith) in better position to make plays." This is asinine. Smith is in a position to make a play every time the ball is snapped into his incapable hands.

Be refreshing to hear Reid call a spade a spade. Smith is a bum and its costing us our season. Reid is back to having to call an ultra conservative, simple game plan because it's all this fragile motherfucker can handle right now.

Exactly.

And I think that it is a cyclical error. If we call these conservative plays and don't get anything from it and the defenses know that we are calling the conservative plays, we will get nothing from it. Smith does need to play better, but it recycles itself.

Smith has missed when there were plays there, but I wish we would continue to just call those plays and let him sink or swim. Indications are that he would sink but we're not salvaging anything by calling these plays. Smith also need to know that we're not getting anything by choosing short. I mean, we are keeping games close, but fuck it. Smith is not fragile, but that's another issue for a different time.

And I think that it is a cyclical error. If we call these conservative plays and don't get anything from it and the defenses know that we are calling the conservative plays, we will get nothing from it. Smith does need to play better, but it recycles itself.

Smith has missed when there were plays there, but I wish we would continue to just call those plays and let him sink or swim. Indications are that he would sink but we're not salvaging anything by calling these plays. Smith also need to know that we're not getting anything by choosing short. I mean, we are keeping games close, but fuck it. Smith is not fragile, but that's another issue for a different time.

I believe Smith is mentally fragile.  He's one tough dude, and I won't question his conviction as I've seen him lay out his body to try to get a first down.  I have much respect for that.  When I say Smith is fragile, I'm saying he doesn't have the capacity to keep swinging.  In baseball, if your power hitter is slumping, you tell him to keep swinging, and eventually it'll come back.  Same thing in hoops when a shooter is cold, keep shooting.  Smith, on the other hand, starts checking down when the slump is there.  He's too timid to just throw himself out of it.  He's trying so hard to not make a mistake, that he misses open receivers and checks down.  He backpeddles into the tackle blocking angles.  You can just tell that the confidence isn't there, and that's why he's not an upper tier QB.  Bret Favre could throw 5 picks in a game, and does anyone think he was going to stop slinging it?  No, because he had that much confidence in his ability.  He knew he'd make mistakes, but he also knew in the end that he'd make plays.  To be a top tier qb in this league you have to have that confidence, the balls the size of Rhode Island.  One of the top qualities in someone who is great at their job, in any profession, isn't how well they do when things are going great, but how well they respond to adversity.  Smith just isn't handling the adversity, and I think there's a good chance that after the shitshow he's put on the last couple of months that his job title next year is veteran backup rather than being a starter somewhere.  

I believe Smith is mentally fragile. He's one tough dude, and I won't question his conviction as I've seen him lay out his body to try to get a first down. I have much respect for that. When I say Smith is fragile, I'm saying he doesn't have the capacity to keep swinging. In baseball, if your power hitter is slumping, you tell him to keep swinging, and eventually it'll come back. Same thing in hoops when a shooter is cold, keep shooting. Smith, on the other hand, starts checking down when the slump is there. He's too timid to just throw himself out of it. He's trying so hard to not make a mistake, that he misses open receivers and checks down. He backpeddles into the tackle blocking angles. You can just tell that the confidence isn't there, and that's why he's not an upper tier QB. Bret Favre could throw 5 picks in a game, and does anyone think he was going to stop slinging it? No, because he had that much confidence in his ability. He knew he'd make mistakes, but he also knew in the end that he'd make plays. To be a top tier qb in this league you have to have that confidence, the balls the size of Rhode Island. One of the top qualities in someone who is great at their job, in any profession, isn't how well they do when things are going great, but how well they respond to adversity. Smith just isn't handling the adversity, and I think there's a good chance that after the shitshow he's put on the last couple of months that his job title next year is veteran backup rather than being a starter somewhere.

I really don't take issue with anything here except I'd bet the farm he's starting next season. I'll be completely shocked if he's not actually.

When you get shellshocked behind a bad team with horrible coaching as he was as a 21 year old, it's not uncommon it can ruin you totally much less make you very conservative. I also really think the offensive team around him is just not well thought out and can't be counted on. And right now he can't get the ball to the pieces he should be leaning on.

I've got the feeling Mahomes II is a different breed by the way. Type of guy that frustrates coaches by being too aggressive. We haven't had that gunslinger mentality in my lifetime so it will be nothing if not entertaining.

I believe Smith is mentally fragile. He's one tough dude, and I won't question his conviction as I've seen him lay out his body to try to get a first down. I have much respect for that. When I say Smith is fragile, I'm saying he doesn't have the capacity to keep swinging. In baseball, if your power hitter is slumping, you tell him to keep swinging, and eventually it'll come back. Same thing in hoops when a shooter is cold, keep shooting. Smith, on the other hand, starts checking down when the slump is there. He's too timid to just throw himself out of it. He's trying so hard to not make a mistake, that he misses open receivers and checks down. He backpeddles into the tackle blocking angles. You can just tell that the confidence isn't there, and that's why he's not an upper tier QB. Bret Favre could throw 5 picks in a game, and does anyone think he was going to stop slinging it? No, because he had that much confidence in his ability. He knew he'd make mistakes, but he also knew in the end that he'd make plays. To be a top tier qb in this league you have to have that confidence, the balls the size of Rhode Island. One of the top qualities in someone who is great at their job, in any profession, isn't how well they do when things are going great, but how well they respond to adversity. Smith just isn't handling the adversity, and I think there's a good chance that after the shitshow he's put on the last couple of months that his job title next year is veteran backup rather than being a starter somewhere.

He's had plenty of adversity to overcome his career. He has been tough mentally. He is stuck through a lot of bad stuff and even though he was the problem his first years, he didn't do a lot of quarterbacks do when they're mentally fragile. To start as long as he has with only his athleticism that was underused and intelligence requires mental toughness through scrutiny, number one pick expectations, booing, etc. He'll show some grit and determination here. He will get over the desperation of auditioning for another team, his past five games, etc. It's that he's not strong armed, great visioned, patient in the pocket, etc., not his mental toughness or fragility.

I guess I don't see him having a conservative style as being fragile just being true to his style. I think he has snapped out of his funks sometimes to the point of being streaky. He needs a reset and I don't believe that's mental fragility. After he was booed in SF, he said fuck it and finished that season on a 10 TD, 2 INT streak before Harbaugh came. He saw his successor drafted in Mahomes and said fuck it and actually stepped up a few times and went deep at the second highest clip of the league the first five games.

Confidence in his line is different than confidence in playing his way. I've seen him confident. I've seen him rebound. He's just not a Favre, Manning, Brady, or Rodgers. Seeing ghosts is not lack of confidence in oneself. It's bad football, but not mental fragility.

I really don't take issue with anything here except I'd bet the farm he's starting next season. I'll be completely shocked if he's not actually.

When you get shellshocked behind a bad team with horrible coaching as he was as a 21 year old, it's not uncommon it can ruin you totally much less make you very conservative. I also really think the offensive team around him is just not well thought out and can't be counted on. And right now he can't get the ball to the pieces he should be leaning on.

I've got the feeling Mahomes II is a different breed by the way. Type of guy that frustrates coaches by being too aggressive. We haven't had that gunslinger mentality in my lifetime so it will be nothing if not entertaining.

Absolutely. He could very easily have been David Carr , but instead he didn’t let that mess in sf wreck him. The fact that he was able to keep it together despite no continuity or stability is astonishing. Somehow he managed to reach his ceiling in spite of all of that. He should definitely be proud. I hate to see it end the way it is ending for such a competitor and overall good guy, but that’s just nature of the beast. He did a good job of getting us up off the trash heap but now we need to see if mahomes is the guy to take us to the next level.

Archived