Our Oline article by Arrowheadpride and Espn Baldinger. mustread

Very good looks. None are 8 or 9 in the box. The same thing happened on passing plays. They can sen 3 or 4 and get pressure 5 or 6 or 7 blockers. That leaves a ton of people to drop into zone on just a few targets.

We have to improve the Oline or we are sunk.

I don't remember if I read it on here or the twitterverse, but Alex is elite at pre snap reads. Much of the bills game they dared us to run the ball.. they stayed with their nickel subpackage and disguised their coverages.. to Smith the nickle package screams kill the pass play n run the ball.. most of the game they showed only 6 or 7 in the box, but immediately at the snap you'll see 8 or 9 screaming toward the line. It be easy to say we got out schemed, but thats a little unfair to reid who has not co trol after presnap reads are made. This is where in my oppinion some of morses company line comments about his performance hold truths.. everyone in this league disquises coverages presnap at least occasionally. This is one place Mitch can improve looking for tells in film study. Other than that the line needs more fire. If they fix that part it's my opinion that Smith won't look quite as inept, and hunt can get back to making plays.

This article drives home the fact that just replacing Smith won't improve the Chiefs, as much as I wish it were that easy. The line has been bad all season but has become worse when run blocking. This is where I wish we had linemen that were just brutes. Zone blocking works to a point, but we need some straight up maulers on the line.

This article drives home the fact that just replacing Smith won't improve the Chiefs, as much as I wish it were that easy. The line has been bad all season but has become worse when run blocking. This is where I wish we had linemen that were just brutes. Zone blocking works to a point, but we need some straight up maulers on the line.

When Alex was 2.0, was the offense wide open?

I agree the line isn't the dominant line we'd all like to see but it's hard to argue the success under a competent QB. Even if there were holes in that success.

It's easy to say the line Sucks and it's got to change...it's the same line. As a matter of fact even when Morse/LDT went down the line looked rough and yet Alex 2.0 still made the offense go.

The QB is the Catalyst. Once that is settled you can fine tune the support.

This is a big problem to have up front. This tells me that the Guards aren't good enough. LDT was expected to have a mean streak to him. Those break downs doesn't look good for the interiors. Losing in 9-7 drills won't get it done to make the playoffs. Gotta move that ball up front.

The oline is playing horrible football.....

Our D Line does not get pressure on the QB with any regularity.

We are a weak football team right now and its not even fun to watch the games...

I am running out of TV's....after the past few weeks

The oline is playing horrible football.....

Our D Line does not get pressure on the QB with any regularity.

We are a weak football team right now and its not even fun to watch the games...

I am running out of TV's....after the past few weeks

I agree completely. I know it's easy to blame Alex for everything and bury our heads in the sand about other real roster issues that aren't fixable with our current 52. But the reality is we kind of need to hit the reset button around what will be a solid core, but one that has clear holes. CAP mismanagement and letting aging veterans hang around for too long is hurting us as much as anything.

But also this WR group doesn't have one proven guy there as we are asking a converted 2nd year RB to be our number one guy as he is learning simple nuances of position. TEs behind Kelce have had inconsistent hands and can't block a lick. And we've got some busts or at least underachieving day one and two draft picks like K Russell, P Gaines and D Ford that aren't helping the situation either. This is very much a group effort to lose 5 of 6. We absolutely need to move on to Mahomes very soon and that will instantly at least make us more compelling to watch. But let's not kid ourselves that this is some great team one player away from paydirt. I like our position in many ways, but Veach also clearly has his hands full to bring it all together in the future. 

One thing that might help is Morse and LDT getting back to playing form. Not sure how long that will take. I am not opposed to putting Witz back at LG if Ehinger is not healthy. I think Witz is a little better than Fulton. Basically a toss up though.

Schwartz is what baffles me. Watching him in those clips and the games makes me wonder if he is banged up. He doesn’t look like the same guy this year.

Bottom line to this entire string would be its completely ignorant to bury your head in the sand and blame Alex for all of our issues. Likewise just as ignorant not to recognize this guy is solid but limited and that his issues are also part of our demise the last 6 weeks.

One thing that might help is Morse and LDT getting back to playing form. Not sure how long that will take. I am not opposed to putting Witz back at LG if Ehinger is not healthy. I think Witz is a little better than Fulton. Basically a toss up though.

Schwartz is what baffles me. Watching him in those clips and the games makes me wonder if he is banged up. He doesn’t look like the same guy this year.

Schwartz has been decent in pass protection , yet horrendous in run blocking. He simply doesn't have power.

When Alex was 2.0, was the offense wide open?

I agree the line isn't the dominant line we'd all like to see but it's hard to argue the success under a competent QB. Even if there were holes in that success.

It's easy to say the line Sucks and it's got to change...it's the same line. As a matter of fact even when Morse/LDT went down the line looked rough and yet Alex 2.0 still made the offense go.

The QB is the Catalyst. Once that is settled you can fine tune the support.

Even when the Chiefs were 5-0 I had concerns about the line. Kareem Hunt was getting hit behind the line frequently even back then but he was more elusive at making them miss or just able to push through and get a yard or two instead of one yard losses and no gains. I was blown away with how well Hunt looked despite the line. I kept thinking how great he would look when the line was healthy again. Yet here we are with a healthy line and I have yet to see Hunt even closely resemble his previous self. Alex Smith is part of the problem, but so is Hunt and so is the line. Hell, I blame Reid too because we have a great FB who barely sees the field.

With regards to Alex specifically though as you wrote above: He is part of the problem and big part of the problem BUT the line is not helping him either. I complain about this every week when I'm yelling at the TV. It seems like every freaking time Smith finally makes a nice throw, it gets called back because of a penalty on the line. Same drive a few plays later and the Chiefs are punting because they got put into 3rd and a mile and couldn't overcome it.

It's not as simple as to just blame Smith. The line has not been good. The Chiefs were 5-0 despite it. But their luck ran out and Smith isn't overcoming it. This is where the Cover 2 and 3 defenses are killing the Chiefs because it has caused Smith to revert back to his old self. The Bills took it a step even further and showed Cover 2 defense while actually playing a different defensive scheme at the snap of the ball. Hence why we witnessed perhaps the worst game in Smith's Chiefs career.

Because Baldy said so. I was saying it first. I just didn't have the fancy videos and the voice of a drill sergeant from the United States Marine Corps.

You might have been saying it first but you also use it as the main reason as to why Smith is playing poorly while not admitting that Smith is also a culprit to his own demise. That's my take when I read some of your posts. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding you though.

It IS the guards. We also have no quality wide receivers who can consistently get off the line of scrimmage.

Conley and Wilson were doing just fine as #2 & #3 WR or #3 & #4 receivers when you include Kelce. Both have been injured for several weeks. Can't expect a team to have starting quality WR when you're relying on the 4th option and beyond.

With regards to Alex specifically though as you wrote above: He is part of the problem and big part of the problem BUT the line is not helping him either. I complain about this every week when I'm yelling at the TV. It seems like every freaking time Smith finally makes a nice throw, it gets called back because of a penalty on the line.

The only way the offensive line gives Smith the time any quarterback deserves to have is if the line holds. Sometimes they get away with it. Sometimes it's 2nd and 19.

Wilkie makes a fair point. The WRs need to step up their game. Danen Hughes says is lazy routes. Rounding them off and not exploding out of their cuts. Hard to tell on TV because you don’t get to see them until the ball is thrown.

Everyone needs to pick up their game.

Even when the Chiefs were 5-0 I had concerns about the line. Kareem Hunt was getting hit behind the line frequently even back then but he was more elusive at making them miss or just able to push through and get a yard or two instead of one yard losses and no gains. I was blown away with how well Hunt looked despite the line. I kept thinking how great he would look when the line was healthy again. Yet here we are with a healthy line and I have yet to see Hunt even closely resemble his previous self. Alex Smith is part of the problem, but so is Hunt and so is the line. Hell, I blame Reid too because we have a great FB who barely sees the field.

With regards to Alex specifically though as you wrote above: He is part of the problem and big part of the problem BUT the line is not helping him either. I complain about this every week when I'm yelling at the TV. It seems like every freaking time Smith finally makes a nice throw, it gets called back because of a penalty on the line. Same drive a few plays later and the Chiefs are punting because they got put into 3rd and a mile and couldn't overcome it.

It's not as simple as to just blame Smith. The line has not been good. The Chiefs were 5-0 despite it. But their luck ran out and Smith isn't overcoming it. This is where the Cover 2 and 3 defenses are killing the Chiefs because it has caused Smith to revert back to his old self. The Bills took it a step even further and showed Cover 2 defense while actually playing a different defensive scheme at the snap of the ball. Hence why we witnessed perhaps the worst game in Smith's Chiefs career.

I agree with this. Now as I suggested above, change the QB and adjust the support around him when issues arise.

This isn't anything new for us. 4 1/2 years running now. My contention is that Alex Smith is the root of the problem and the rest can be assessed after the change gets a chance to settle in.

I agree with this. Now as I suggested above, change the QB and adjust the support around him when issues arise.

This isn't anything new for us. 4 1/2 years running now. My contention is that Alex Smith is the root of the problem and the rest can be assessed after the change gets a chance to settle in.

I recognize that Smith has limitations, weaknesses, and is a part of the problem. Right now the way he is playing it is a big problem. However, I think it is nonsense to say that it is one person and that we can just deal with the rest later. The rest is one of the reasons why it's not working.

Archived