Andy defending Alex today

"The thing I can do is stand before you and tell you that this isn't an Alex Smith thing. It's all of us. I think – I know – our players understand that, and coaches. We're all going to do better and raise our game up.'' -- Andy Reid in defending the Chiefs' quarterback today.

Is this guy fucking blind? This stubborn nonsense is why this clown has never won a SB.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alex Smith sucks.  Flat out.  That said, I'd have a huge problem with Reid if he went out and publicly tossed his QB under the bus.  I absolutely believe that Smith should be riding the sidelines at this point, but someone as revered and polished in league circles as Reid is isn't going put one of his players on blast in front of the camera.   

I can live with the status quo, for now.  If this team limps into the end of the season at 7-9 and Smith took every snap, then I'll be good and pissed.  I think if it gets to that point though that Reid will make the move.  Andy is a damn fine coach, even though he does a ton of shit that I disagree with, and I think if he gave up the playcalling, learned how to manage a clock, and stopped being so cute, I think he could be Lombardi or Landry good.  The bad thing is, a tiger doesn't change his stripes, and Reid has been doing it so long he is what he is and he's not going to delegate certain duties, and I think that's a negative for the Super Bowl aspirations of this franchise and it's fans. 

"The thing I can do is stand before you and tell you that this isn't an Alex Smith thing. It's all of us. I think – I know – our players understand that, and coaches. We're all going to do better and raise our game up.'' -- Andy Reid in defending the Chiefs' quarterback today.

Is this guy fucking blind? This stubborn nonsense is why this clown has never won a SB.

Not really buying this. What he tells media means absolutely nothing. Andy has won 11 plyoff games with 4 different QBs and none of them had the raw talent anyway of Mahomes II. That's why Andy signed off on the big trade to get him. So he's not blind st all. He's just seeing more of the current puzzle than we are. Very clear now Tyreek was to blame for that last INT with a horrible route. Likewise clear whoever thought it would be a good idea to have a 2nd year converted RB as our number 1 WR was part of the problem. Point is there's plenty of blame to go around. I think Andy doesn't want to bench a QB under this circumstance. One more game like that and I think he could anyway because he's our most expensive veteran offensive player and shouldn't be caving in even when some others do around him.

It's not just Andy defending him. If Reid replaces Smith, it STILL won't all be Smith's fault. But it would be a too bad, so sad. Smith has his chance to step up or step out. Stepping up still means just this year, no future here, but that's something.

Say what you will about thinking or knowing he can't, that's besides the point. It's step up or step out. He should have known his job is on the line already but if not as clear, he has more opportunity to respond now than he did when Kaepernick came in. Step up or step out. I like that. I also mean that literally in the (step up in the) pocket.

Yes, I f'ing know he had four years of "opportunity" to know that. I'm not claiming a switch now would be blindsiding him. Not feeling bad for him. I know we don't owe him anything, it's about the team. I know that one doesn't change their stripes. But he can play better and I like that he knows it's now or never, even though, I know he knew that already. He'll bounce back to be better than his norm - not promising it to be good enough.

A few former NFL players are defending Smith from a lot of the plays that are out there on all 22. One of them is a linemen who played for us and the other is a former quarterback. (This is in addition to Dungee and Harrison.)

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/for-petes-sake/article187031448.html

Former Coach: https://247sports.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/Bolt/Steve-Mariucci-Patrick-Mahomes-is-not-better-than-Alex-Smith-right-now-111367612

None of this matters because I believe Smith's playing poorly, but some people cited David Carr and his take. So I'm sharing it here.

They also gave Smith blame, too.

A few former NFL players are defending Smith from a lot of the plays that are out there on all 22. One of them is a linemen who played for us and the other is a former quarterback. (This is in addition to Dungee and Harrison.)

They also gave Smith blame, too.

I've realized that it is obvious some fans want to see Patrick Mahomes play, and that that desire colors their view of Smith. We're back to 2012: 'Colin Kaepernick is as good as Alex Smith, and can only get better.' Only now the name is "Patrick Mahomes", not out-of-the-league, never-was-even-good-as-a-quarterback "Colin Kaepernick". Fans are fickle, and they generally enjoy being entertained over dissecting tape. So while all of these people that have played the game are coming to bat for Smith, a lot of Kansas City fans simply don't care. They don't want to hear reason. They never wanted to understand the game. They have been conditioned by ESPN to believe in the bomb, and that's all they care to see.

Maybe the Chiefs' team will turn a corner, and Smith will have the requisite players and associated play necessary to navigate the rest of the season en route to a Super Bowl victory. Or perhaps the Chiefs will continue their nose-dive, and Smith's season will end in infamy. But the bottom line lies in a history I watched very closely, and that ended exactly the way I expected it would: The quarterback that was replaced outlasted the quarterback that succeeded him. If this Chiefs team can't play better than it has in November, Patrick Mahomes will never sniff the post-season for as long as he is a Chief. Thereafter, the Smith debates will continue in a similar vein as have the Trent Green debates. And lost in the academia will be the simple truth: The fans wanted exciting over fundamentally sound. And if Mahomes never becomes fundamentally sound, exciting will give way to frustrating, and frustrating to debates about whether the Chiefs need to make their next first-round draft selection a left tackle, a wide receiver, or a pass-rushing defensive end, or whether their future success is predicated on drafting a quarterback in the first round.

I've realized that it is obvious some fans want to see Patrick Mahomes play, and that that desire colors their view of Smith. We're back to 2012: 'Colin Kaepernick is as good as Alex Smith, and can only get better.' Only now the name is "Patrick Mahomes", not out-of-the-league, never-was-even-good-as-a-quarterback "Colin Kaepernick". Fans are fickle, and they generally enjoy being entertained over dissecting tape. So while all of these people that have played the game are coming to bat for Smith, a lot of Kansas City fans simply don't care. They don't want to hear reason. They never wanted to understand the game. They have been conditioned by ESPN to believe in the bomb, and that's all they care to see.

Maybe the Chiefs' team will turn a corner, and Smith will have the requisite players and associated play necessary to navigate the rest of the season en route to a Super Bowl victory. Or perhaps the Chiefs will continue their nose-dive, and Smith's season will end in infamy. But the bottom line lies in a history I watched very closely, and that ended exactly the way I expected it would: The quarterback that was replaced outlasted the quarterback that succeeded him. If this Chiefs team can't play better than it has in November, Patrick Mahomes will never sniff the post-season for as long as he is a Chief. Thereafter, the Smith debates will continue in a similar vein as have the Trent Green debates. And lost in the academia will be the simple truth: The fans wanted exciting over fundamentally sound. And if Mahomes never becomes fundamentally sound, exciting will give way to frustrating, and frustrating to debates about whether the Chiefs need to make their next first-round draft selection a left tackle, a wide receiver, or a pass-rushing defensive end, or whether their future success is predicated on drafting a quarterback in the first round.

You totally misread players defending SOME of Alex's bad passes as an total escape valve for overall poor performances by him which nearly all agree with. Alex is only part of the problem, but unless you are completely blind it's obvious he is part of the problem. In fact one of the defenders mentioned above acknowledged the obvious that Alex is limited. And teams are exploiting that.

Ant Chiefs fan that wouldn't want more from a QB, is simply one that doesn't get it. Thank goodness Andy does and that's why he drafted a guy with more upside to replace him. That's really all you need to know.

I like Alex and he has largely been fundamentally sound. He's a conservative guy who has been elite at protecting ball and largely letting ball hawking defense win games for us since he got here. Without a defense like that we are finding out we are cooked with him. He's always left way to many plays on the table for 17 million dollars. We could have gotten similiar this year for 6 million and had money to upgrade elsewhere. iIts not that hard to figure out really.

Any Chiefs fan that wouldn't want more from a QB, is simply one that doesn't get it.

Yeah, but I don't know who you are talking about. No one says, "That's good enough". The real issue that most people ignore is how hard it is to get something that's better than Smith and about 25 other NFL quarterbacks. A lot of fans are ready to put their fanship behind a quarterback incapable of leading this team this year despite being drafted tenth-overall. I've seldom seen such a high draft price paid for a quarterback whose value lies mostly in his potential rather than his present ability.

Yeah, but I don't know who you are talking about. No one says, "That's good enough". The real issue that most people ignore is how hard it is to get something that's better than Smith and about 25 other NFL quarterbacks. A lot of fans are ready to put their fanship behind a quarterback incapable of leading this team this year despite being drafted tenth-overall. I've seldom seen such a high draft price paid for a quarterback whose value lies mostly in his potential rather than his present ability.

That's only because I assume you are a Chiefs fan and this is not an organization which has prioritized the most important position in sports the way the position deserves. And hence why the only playoff game we've won in 24 years was when we shut out our opponent. Elite QBs can cover up some roster issues elsewhere, can overcome more injuries on the team and most importantly deliver that clutch play needed to win in January. We haven't had that guy in my lifetime. And so when Andy sees a guy that has that potential and then we go get him...it's not hard to see why the fan base is excited. Is he ready to be better than the 13 year veteran right now. Yes it's unlikely. But it can't be any worse to try if the offense continues to be as bad as it's been. Next year however, it's a no brainer.

How do you know that he is incapable of leading this team?

Andy annoys me. Part of me wants him gone at this point but I also realize that with Mahomes as QBOTF I won't be thinking the same way next year. Just sucks for us this year. I like that he is loyal to his players but at the same time...put a fork in Smith, he is done.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2017/11/30/16713908/alex-smith-all-22-vs-bills-dont-read-this

Good read by Seth as usual. 

2 observations. First, you can’t really expect him to throw his QB under the bus in the media, right?

Second, he is right. Alex has been bad and so has a lot of other players and coaches. He is spot on.

Well, I heard at the post-match press conference last Sunday he refused to say whether Smith would be "his guy" for the rest of the season. So imo there is a limit to this madness. I personally think that if Smith stinks up the joint again on Sunday then he's toast. Reid would only be hurting his own reputation by allowing it to continue.  

That's only because I assume you are a Chiefs fan and this is not an organization which has prioritized the most important position in sports the way the position deserves.

This is a Terez Paylorism, and it is garbage. There is no substance to the argument that the Chiefs haven't invested in the quarterback position. For every hit some team had with a quarterback taken early, there are busts all across the league, and it's hard to say decisively that most of the 'second tier' of quarterbacks are actually good enough to make merely mediocre teams good. The Chiefs didn't spin the roulette wheel in the draft with much frequency, but for the fact that they did spend both money and draft capital to acquire some of the best quarterbacks they've had over the last 25 years (said quarterbacks also being some of the best in the league for their time), they could rightly be said to have prioritized the position.

Getting a past his prime montana isn’t prioritizing, it’s kicking the can down the road. The closest we came to prioritizing the position was Trent , and he was still somebody’s retread. Aside from the, our highest qb draft picks in the last 25 years are Brodie Croyle , Matt blundin and pat Barnes. This franchises treatment of the qb position has been embarrassing

This is a Terez Paylorism, and it is garbage. There is no substance to the argument that the Chiefs haven't invested in the quarterback position. For every hit some team had with a quarterback taken early, there are busts all across the league, and it's hard to say decisively that most of the 'second tier' of quarterbacks are actually good enough to make merely mediocre teams good. The Chiefs didn't spin the roulette wheel in the draft with much frequency, but for the fact that they did spend both money and draft capital to acquire some of the best quarterbacks they've had over the last 25 years (said quarterbacks also being some of the best in the league for their time), they could rightly be said to have prioritized the position.

Sorry you don't get the obvious. But when you settle for other teams castoffs instead of trying to actually get an elite player, you end up with one playoff win in 24 years. That may be okay with you, but again Andy Reid knows better and that's why he drafted Mahomes II. FINALLY! He sure gets it and knows 10 times more than any of us.

Sorry you don't get the obvious. But when you settle for other teams castoffs instead of trying to actually get an elite player, you end up with one playoff win in 24 years. That may be okay with you, but again Andy Reid knows better and that's why he drafted Mahomes II. FINALLY! He sure gets it and knows 10 times more than any of us.

If Mahomes never wins a playoff game for the Chiefs, you'll excuse it as a matter of the Chiefs at least 'trying'. Results trump intentions or method. The Chiefs have failed to win in the post-season for a variety of reasons that had little to do with quarterback. Don't suggest I'm missing the obvious: You're the one that will dismiss the facts to justify a decision based on a false premise promoted by a sports writer who is one of the least objective I've ever read.

Getting a past his prime montana isn’t prioritizing, it’s kicking the can down the road. The closest we came to prioritizing the position was Trent , and he was still somebody’s retread. Aside from the, our highest qb draft picks in the last 25 years are Brodie Croyle , Matt blundin and pat Barnes. This franchises treatment of the qb position has been embarrassing

Why are you leaving out the Chiefs that were undrafted, acquired through trade, or acquired through free agency? Because Terez Paylor.

Embarrassing indeed.

Why are you leaving out the Chiefs that were undrafted, acquired through trade, or acquired through free agency? Because Terez Paylor.

What great qb have we had via fa or trade in the last time we took a Qb high in the draft, say 1st or second round pick? Green is it. He was here for quite a long time but even then we neglected to develop behind him. Now we have Smith who is far from elite but at least we took a chance on a very good upside Qb that we develop behind a starter. If we had not prioritized this an position we could end up with a huard or Thigpen etc. Sad, the one an we did have that we let go did great for the Raiders. So who again are these great fa or traded qbs you speak of? Thast actually impacted our franchise for more than a year or two.

What great qb have we had via fa or trade in the last time we took a Qb high in the draft, say 1st or second round pick? Green is it. He was here for quite a long time but even then we neglected to develop behind him. Now we have Smith who is far from elite but at least we took a chance on a very good upside Qb that we develop behind a starter. If we had not prioritized this an position we could end up with a huard or Thigpen etc. Sad, the one an we did have that we let go did great for the Raiders. So who again are these great fa or traded qbs you speak of? Thast actually impacted our franchise for more than a year or two.

Smith was one of them. Montana was another. The Chiefs haven't been good with their timing: They either present a great quarterback with a horrible team, or a great team with a horrible quarterback. These Chiefs, the ones surviving until week 13 this year, are not a great team, or even a good team. It's been the same thing for the past five years: The Chiefs are good enough to make the post-season, but they lack the quality across the board that marks Super Bowl-winning teams.

Or go on over-simplifying the matter as one of one roster spot.

To put it simply I doubt any team has done less to try and draft and develop our own QB in the era of free agency than we have. Our QBs never offer CAP value and none of them have been elite so they can offset the disproportionate amount of CAP space used. Finally we have a front office and head coach that get it and an owner who clearly has had enough of early playoff exits. This isn't even about Mahomes II as much as it is about an organizational change of direction we have needed for decades. But man do like this specific kid.

Archived