Andy defending Alex today

Anyone who wants to blame all these offensive issues on Alex is as wrong as a person who doesn't recognize Alex has shortcomings which also contribute to the overall problem. The extremes on both sides are ridiculous and ignorant to reality. Alex is largely a very solid starter. A 7 out of 10 that plays near that level consistently. The last 5 weeks would en an exception just as much as the first 5.

Andys just looking for a guy that has the talent to play a few notches higher. Make that one or two plays in the postseason that propels you to the Final Four and beyond. A guy who can open up the offense and challenge defenses downfield with more regularity. That's where the game has moved too and Andy knows we need to move with it.

Wait, are you Andy?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Giving up two second round picks and signing Smith to an extension was trying. Giving up the picks that could have gotten Carr and someone else is a significant investment. I understand that you and many feel that only drafting and developing your own is trying, but this idea does not have a monopoly of the word trying. You can try something unsuccessfully. You can keep trying something that doesn't work. But doesn't mean you're not trying or don't prioritize or don't care. I'm fine saying that the Chiefs have been wrong time after time. But I'm not going to lament about them not trying or caring about the position.

The reality is, until Reid came, we didn't have the coach to develop our own and so we tried to get somebody who has been developed like Cassell in New England's system and Smith who had some success in San Francisco that Reid, the quarterback guru, wanted until he could get his guy. One could say we missed on Carr but otherwise, Reid wasn't going to go get any quarterback just to get a quarterback. I think Mahomes could be better than Carr so I'm not complaining. Lynch was reportedly someone we were interested in, but even though Denver may botch his development and injuries may cost him some, I don't think the improvement he would have playing here instead of there would be better than tMahomes.

Smith has been here five years. If we had somehow lucked or earned a SB by defense and Smith playing at his height, we may have had him for a few years longer. That would be long term. Again, I don't judge trying by results. That could have been intended to last longer. Cassell was meant to last longer, too, with giving draft capital. Wrongly thought, perhaps, but not a quick fix with no prioritization. It's a philosophy issue, not an effort issue and that was changed with Mahomes.

I have said green and Smith were the only times we tried with someone worthwhile. Smith for what Reid saw in him and what was available at the time. Smith has shown a good stop gap but again it seems he was a year or so to long. I know what else could we have etc and some falls on Dorsey or even Pioli (manning coming here situation) but Still he was serviceable.

Green we gave up a first round pick. We invested a lot in both of them but them in between and prior we were continually banging our head against the wall thinking we could make it work without investing a lot into it. I am glad we finally took the plunge after 34 years to take advance and the fact we have Reid to coach him up after sitting a year behind Smith. I do not think we invested much more into it before this other than Green and Smith. Montanna? He was green for a couple years at the end of his career, another band aid that worked for a bit but again not investing a lot to keep it going. Sure you can say now and then but how many times did we wait to the 5th round or later to try or run out another teams guys we picked up etc. Investing so much in Croyle and having guard and Thigpen ad your back ups? Come on, that is the crap I am talking about that has not worked for years.

My extremely professional opinion is he sucks ass.

It's just as well that you didn't feel compelled to break that down. Zach Fulton made this roster because Parker Ehinger didn't survive his rookie season. It's frustrating to start a season with a backup-caliber player in Witzmann, and then have injury issues force Fulton onto the field anyway.

It's just as well that you didn't feel compelled to break that down. Zach Fulton made this roster because Parker Ehinger didn't survive his rookie season. It's frustrating to start a season with a backup-caliber player in Witzmann, and then have injury issues force Fulton onto the field anyway.

2nd year QB Carson Wentz has excelled despite the Eagles using a backup LT most of the season and being down to their 3rd RB for half of it. And your excusing horrendous play because of a guard.

And hey guess what, Wentz CAP hit is 6 million vs 16.9 million for the guy your making excuses for. Again NFL 101 why we drafted Mahomes II. You will learn.

2nd year QB Carson Wentz has excelled despite the Eagles using a backup LT most of the season and being down to their 3rd RB for half of it. And your excusing horrendous play because of a guard.

And hey guess what, Wentz CAP hit is 6 million vs 16.9 million for the guy your making excuses for. Again NFL 101 why we drafted Mahomes II. You will learn.

You're so self-assured. So were the Kaepologists. Last week they cheered when C.J. Beathard got injured. I'm unfazed.

That's exactly what Smith did on Oct. 2 in a Monday Night Football game against Washington. The score was tied 20-20, the clock was running out and Smith was flushed out of the pocket. He scrambled toward the sideline and threw a 37-yard strike to Albert Wilson, who was knocked out of bounds to stop the clock and set up the game-winning field goal attempt.

"Heck of a play," Mahomes told Smith when he found him on the field after the game.

Smith smiled.

"Yeah, that was awesome."

Smith exited through the tunnel, past a bar full of fans on the way to the locker room. He passed a man wearing a Mahomes jersey. "MVP!" the guy shouted to Smith. The quarterback just kept walking, knowing that in the NFL, and especially in Kansas City, things can turn quickly.

We can finish this right here. Carson Wentz or Alex Smith. Who are you taking?

What has Carson Wentz done? There's not enough evidence to say he's definitely going to be a great quarterback. In case you haven't noticed, the Eagles have a very solid roster right now. Oh, and the Chiefs did beat them; Alex had a great game against them. That was before injuries to Smith's supporting cast made it nearly impossible for Smith to have a great game by your statistically-oriented standard of evaluation.

I'd never take a tiny sample size against a larger sample size accompanied by distinction.

Nothing's finished. You'll accuse me of being blind for not seeing Wentz' greatness today, and I'll accuse you of being blind to the history of a league littered with players that started out looking great and vanished only a few short years later.

What has Carson Wentz done? There's not enough evidence to say he's definitely going to be a great quarterback. In case you haven't noticed, the Eagles have a very solid roster right now. Oh, and the Chiefs did beat them; Alex had a great game against them. That was before injuries to Smith's supporting cast made it nearly impossible for Smith to have a great game by your statistically-oriented standard of evaluation.

I'd never take a tiny sample size against a larger sample size accompanied by distinction.

Nothing's finished. You'll accuse me of being blind for not seeing Wentz' greatness today, and I'll accuse you of being blind to the history of a league littered with players that started out looking great and vanished only a few short years later.

It's a simple question man. Would you rather the Chiefs have Carson Wentz or Alex Smith? You get all of Alex's experience and age and his contract. Same goes for Wentz. So who you taking?

If Mahomes never wins a playoff game for the Chiefs, you'll excuse it as a matter of the Chiefs at least 'trying'. Results trump intentions or method. The Chiefs have failed to win in the post-season for a variety of reasons that had little to do with quarterback. Don't suggest I'm missing the obvious: You're the one that will dismiss the facts to justify a decision based on a false premise promoted by a sports writer who is one of the least objective I've ever read.

QB has by far been our biggest issue in the playoffs. The Chiefs need a QB who can put the team on their back and carry them, which Montana did when he was here.

The last playoff game vs the Steelers proved that time and time again. That's why this franchise traded up for Mahomes.

Whether Mahomes is that guy remains to be seen, but at least the Chiefs are trying the right way and not through means of retread QB's like Grbac, Bono, Huard, Cassel and Smith that are limited.

You do your best to find the QB bc once you have him, things get way easier.

QB has by far been our biggest issue in the playoffs. The Chiefs need a QB who can put the team on their back and carry them, which Montana did when he was here.

The last playoff game vs the Steelers proved that time and time again. That's why this franchise traded up for Mahomes.

Whether Mahomes is that guy remains to be seen, but at least the Chiefs are trying the right way and not through means of retread QB's like Grbac, Bono, Huard, Cassel and Smith that are limited.

You do your best to find the QB bc once you have him, things get way easier.

If Mahomes has only one playoff win in five seasons and it took a shutout to get it. I'll be very dissapointed.

Welp lets look at those playoff losses.

Indy - defensive meltdown with injured Charles.

NE - again no RB had to play Davis who fumbled and NE was healthy as an ape coming off the bye.

Pittsburgh - They drove it down the field the first drive scored a nice TD, didn’t do shit after that. Run D was piss poor and didn’t help either.

Sounds like a lot of excuses. Winners don’t need excuses

The fact that fans put guys like Smith in the same sentence as "Grbac, Bono, Huard, Cassel" shows how out of touch they are with the quarterback position and what it entails. For starters, Smith could finish his career with more starts than the four of them combined. And if you want to make playoffs the prime thing, Smith already has more playoff wins than those four combined, and is the only one of the five to start in a Conference Championship Game.

The fact that fans put guys like Smith in the same sentence as "Grbac, Bono, Huard, Cassel" shows how out of touch they are with the quarterback position and what it entails. For starters, Smith could finish his career with more starts than the four of them combined. And if you want to make playoffs the prime thing, Smith already has more playoff wins than those four combined, and is the only one of the five to start in a Conference Championship Game.

They are all retread qbs that didn’t accomplish anything. It’s a pretty obvious comparison.

Alex hasn't accomplished very much as a Chief. 1 playoff win over Brian Hoyer is nothing to brag about.

It's a QB league and there's a reason we never win when we face a Big Ben, Brady or Manning.

You have to always be looking for an elite QB. It's paramount to consistent playoff success.

Alex hasn't accomplished very much as a Chief. 1 playoff win over Brian Hoyer is nothing to brag about.

It's a QB league and there's a reason we never win when we face a Big Ben, Brady or Manning.

You have to always be looking for an elite QB. It's paramount to consistent playoff success.

One playoff win, one bye week earned (which is good for one playoff win, in my opinion), and any played well against the Colts. I know that the last two were not playoff accomplishments, but if everything is being diminished and simplified, I don't think it is right. What I suggested is not good enough but it's more complete.

I agree he's not in that category. Those guys were horrible. But what qbs would you think it fair to compare Alex to? Who would you group him with?

Archived