Andy defending Alex today

You know what Alex's problem is? He can't finish. 

Every time the Chiefs need a TD to win the game, the offense falls short. In the last 5 years, there has been only 1 game where Smith drove it down the field deep in the 4th quarter, scored a TD, and ended up winning the game. That was last year against Denver, and even then did it take a defensive stop in OT to win the game with a field goal. 

I've went through the games in the past, and counted more than 5 times Smith never finished a drive that could either win or tie the game late in the 4th quarter. 

The game Smith takes it down the field, scores a TD to WIN the game, not tie the game, but WIN the game, is the day I will believe Smith will win the Superbowl. That's all I need from him before he exits. Just take the ball down the field and win the fucking game. The moment he does this, I'll believe in him one last time to win the big one with the Chiefs. 

Let's hope he's been saving the precious TD winning drive for the best and most important game. 

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every time the Chiefs need a TD to win the game, the offense falls short. In the last 5 years, there has been only 1 game where Smith drove it down the field deep in the 4th quarter, scored a TD, and ended up winning the game. That was last year against Denver, and even then did it take a defensive stop in OT to win the game with a field goal. 

I've went through the games in the past, and counted more than 5 times Smith never finished a drive that could either win or tie the game late in the 4th quarter. 

The game Smith takes it down the field, scores a TD to WIN the game, not tie the game, but WIN the game, is the day I will believe Smith will win the Superbowl. That's all I need from him before he exits. Just take the ball down the field and win the fucking game. The moment he does this, I'll believe in him one last time to win the big one with the Chiefs. 

Let's hope he's been saving the precious TD winning drive for the best and most important game. 

Don't know if it's just Smith's problem though. I don't really like most of the clutch playcalling. Even if it's just for a FG the Chiefs always seem to be short on timeouts and confused when getting in formation. Also there are major fundamental issues that don't seem to be getting fixed such as the sideline usage. 

How many times did Smith direct the Chiefs to a lead in the 4th quarter, and then the Chiefs' defense gacked it away? Why the artificial split here?

Don't know if it's just Smith's problem though. I don't really like most of the clutch playcalling. Even if it's just for a FG the Chiefs always seem to be short on timeouts and confused when getting in formation. Also there are major fundamental issues that don't seem to be getting fixed such as the sideline usage.

Ah. The famous Andy Reid clock management. We burn timeouts early and then waste precious seconds at the end of games. This has been going on for two decades, it’s not getting fixed.

How many times did Smith direct the Chiefs to a lead in the 4th quarter, and then the Chiefs' defense gacked it away? Why the artificial split here?

Uh yeah. This has happened legitmately one time this season where the defense flat blew the game. Meanwhile 3 games in a row we've had a very legit chance to score a TD to win or tie game and failed all three times.

Uh yeah. This has happened legitmately one time this season where the defense flat blew the game. Meanwhile 3 games in a row we've had a very legit chance to score a TD to win or tie game and failed all three times.

It's happened a few times last season and before that. It's definitely an issue with an offense and the quarterback is the head of that. I think people sometimes will excuse the quarterback too easily and sometimes people get too simplistic and put it on the quarterback. We always have the equivocation of saying some other quarterback would. We can always say a great quarterback by definition would because by definition of succeeding will succeed. Over several opportunities, they will, but any given game, all quarterbacks are filled. If the trend that is concerning even though Smith has 20+ fourth-quarter comeback's. Can't put that on the team as a success if you're not going to put it on the team for a loss. None of us of claimed Smith to be Elite, but that's different than saying it is his sole fault. It is a trend of the offense and we need as an offense to get it done. Mahomes will have a chance and Smith has that going forward in these next 1 to 8 games.

I hope Smith (or Mahomes) plays more than five games with us going forward this season. That will mean we made the playoffs and win a game at least. I want to win the whole thing of course, but I want at least a playoff win. We don't have a first round pick so it doesn't matter quite as much.

It's happened a few times last season and before that. It's definitely an issue with an offense and the quarterback is the head of that. I think people sometimes will excuse the quarterback too easily and sometimes people get too simplistic and put it on the quarterback. We always have the equivocation of saying some other quarterback would. We can always say a great quarterback by definition would because by definition of succeeding will succeed. Over several opportunities, they will, but any given game, all quarterbacks are filled. If the trend that is concerning even though Smith has 20+ fourth-quarter comeback's. Can't put that on the team as a success if you're not going to put it on the team for a loss. None of us of claimed Smith to be Elite, but that's different than saying it is his sole fault. It is a trend of the offense and we need as an offense to get it done. Mahomes will have a chance and Smith has that going forward in these next 1 to 8 games.

I hope Smith (or Mahomes) plays more than five games with us going forward this season. That will mean we made the playoffs and win a game at least. I want to win the whole thing of course, but I want at least a playoff win. We don't have a first round pick so it doesn't matter quite as much.

It's certainly isn't all on Alex. But do you really think we go 0-3 in this spot with a top tier QB? That's been my point to this guy all along. But making Alex the fall guy for all of our offensive issues is just burying our heads in the sand. This team legitmately needs a new core of leadership to emerge first and foremost on both sides of the ball. And some of that is personell and some is coaching.

I'll go on record one more time saying I appreciate what Alex brought to the Chiefs and think he's largely underrated by the fan base. But upgrading at that position would go a long way towards making us a legit January competitor. As for this season blame goes in so many directions that it's ridiculous to single any one guy out period. Again so ironic to be talking this way while we have a home game for first place in week 14.

Archived