Andy defending Alex today

Smith was one of them. Montana was another. The Chiefs haven't been good with their timing: They either present a great quarterback with a horrible team, or a great team with a horrible quarterback. These Chiefs, the ones surviving until week 13 this year, are not a great team, or even a good team. It's been the same thing for the past five years: The Chiefs are good enough to make the post-season, but they lack the quality across the board that marks Super Bowl-winning teams.

Or go on over-simplifying the matter as one of one roster spot.

Again just a lack of understanding of what great QBa bring to the table and the CAP benefit of having even an Alex Smith level QB in producing in his rookie contract as opposed to 17-18 million per season. Alex has been carried by a defense which has created more turnovers, points and short fields than any other in football during his tenure. When he's had to do more, he just doesn't have talent most of the time to get it done. And his CAP hit is part of what keeps us from making roster better around him to get back to a point a mediocre QB can compete. Pretty simple. The better your QB, the less talent you need around him to win. With our QB everything must be good or else we won't win. Andy got tired of this for good reason.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Again just a lack of understanding of what great QBa bring to the table and the CAP benefit of having even an Alex Smith level QB in producing in his rookie contract as opposed to 17-18 million per season. Alex has been carried by a defense which has created more turnovers, points and short fields than any other in football during his tenure. When he's had to do more, he just doesn't have talent most of the time to get it done. And his CAP hit is part of what keeps us from making roster better around him to get back to a point a mediocre QB can compete. Pretty simple. The better your QB, the less talent you need around him to win. With our QB everything must be good or else we won't win. Andy got tired of this for good reason.

Sure thing.

All that's left to see is whether Mahomes can be as productive as Smith. You seem to be sure of the matter. I'm certainly not able to reason with you on the matter, so we'll come back to this in a few years, shall we?

Sure thing.

All that's left to see is whether Mahomes can be as productive as Smith. You seem to be sure of the matter. I'm certainly not able to reason with you on the matter, so we'll come back to this in a few years, shall we?

He only needs a single playoff win to equal Alex’s production. As far as Career production, do you really want to use that as an argument for Alex? Those numbers aren’t very good.

He only needs a single playoff win to equal Alex’s production. As far as Career production, do you really want to use that as an argument for Alex? Those numbers aren’t very good.

Wow, so Mahomes is winning playoff games already, even though Smith is still quarterbacking and likely to start in at least one playoff game this year?

You can't win playoff games unless you can make the post-season. Mahomes has to make the first step before he can make the second. If this team makes the playoffs this year, no one would be justified to say that the Chiefs made it that far in spite of Smith. But can Mahomes do at least what Smith did for the first sixteen games of the year. Show me.

Wow, so Mahomes is winning playoff games already, even though Smith is still quarterbacking and likely to start in at least one playoff game this year?

You can't win playoff games unless you can make the post-season. Mahomes has to make the first step before he can make the second. If this team makes the playoffs this year, no one would be justified to say that the Chiefs made it that far in spite of Smith. But can Mahomes do at least what Smith did for the first sixteen games of the year. Show me.

You said, we shall see. And I said, all he has to do, IS...

Sure thing.

We can talk about it now, next week or 5 years from now. All good with me.

What great qb have we had via fa or trade in the last time we took a Qb high in the draft, say 1st or second round pick? Green is it. He was here for quite a long time but even then we neglected to develop behind him. Now we have Smith who is far from elite but at least we took a chance on a very good upside Qb that we develop behind a starter. If we had not prioritized this an position we could end up with a huard or Thigpen etc. Sad, the one an we did have that we let go did great for the Raiders. So who again are these great fa or traded qbs you speak of? Thast actually impacted our franchise for more than a year or two.

Great QB or not is not relevant. The accusation was that we haven't tried. The assumption is the only way to try is through first round picks. Again, assuming they are better than 2nd Rounders and below. Don't bother me with the results, they've tried, paying high enough money to be prioritizing the position. You can try something and not succeed without "not trying."

Now, we've not only drafted a player in the first round, we have a good mentor, great QB guru, young team, and cap space. Smith wouldn't be a saint by taking pennies but I do think his contract has a bit of a start me or let me go aspect of it. SF could have kept him. So I think we waited until we found the right guy with the right staff. Lucked out because that may never have happened. We finished too high to every have a good pick.

You can't win playoff games unless you can make the post-season. Mahomes has to make the first step before he can make the second. If this team makes the playoffs this year, no one would be justified to say that the Chiefs made it that far in spite of Smith. But can Mahomes do at least what Smith did for the first sixteen games of the year. Show me.

We can only hope Mahomes II gets to play behind defenses even remotely as consistently good as Alex got too. Amazing 5 year streak from 2011-2015 he had a top five defense EVERY season. And even in 2016 we led the NFL in forcing turnovers and defensive TDs. Not to mention an elite special teams. Not hard to be the pawn when your defense/special teams are the king.

We can only hope Mahomes II gets to play behind defenses even remotely as consistently good as Alex got too. Amazing 5 year streak from 2011-2015 he had a top five defense EVERY season. And even in 2016 we lead the NFL in forcing turnovers and defensive TDs. Not to mention an elite special teams. Not hard to be the pawn when your defense/special teams are the king.

Ah, so the excuse is built in. I get it. If Mahomes fails, it will be because of the team, whereas when Alex "failed", it was because of Alex. All I've ever heard is that great quarterbacks carry their teams. Correction: All I've ever heard from fans. Most folks in the NFL stay away from such sweeping generalizations. After all, such statements fundamentally ignore a quarterback's reliance on his teammates to do their respective jobs. Smith is unique: He's the only quarterback expected to catch his own passes and block for himself as well.

You have a tendency toward double-standards. Arguments like the one you've made here make that obvious.

Ah, so the excuse is built in. I get it. If Mahomes fails, it will be because of the team, whereas when Alex "failed", it was because of Alex. All I've ever heard is that great quarterbacks carry their teams. Correction: All I've ever heard from fans. Most folks in the NFL stay away from such sweeping generalizations. After all, such statements fundamentally ignore a quarterback's reliance on his teammates to do their respective jobs. Smith is unique: He's the only quarterback expected to catch his own passes and block for himself as well.

You have a tendency toward double-standards. Arguments like the one you've made here make that obvious.

If Mahomes fails it will be because of Mahomes. If Alex fails it will be because of Alex. Period. But what is failure? It’s not taking the next step after step. Recognizing, improving, executing. Smith recognized the Chiefs drafted his replacement, he improved his attitude and motivation, and executed at an MVP level. Where the fuck is that now?

Not sure your argument is helping his cause at the moment. Alex has the tools to stomp on Pittsburgh and New England in the playoffs with a good defense, the best TE in the game, the fastest dude on the field, and a RB sensation ready to grind. The fact that he finally unleashes his full potential at the beginning of his final season with the Chiefs is quite convenient yet annoying. Will the real Alex Smith please stand up and stay up?

Please, no offensive line excuse. Smith had plenty of time to deliver game changing passes last game at critical moments. It’s not the OL’s fault he’s not taking the chances they’re giving him.

BTW I believe in him and still believe he’s taking us to the next step - AFC championship

We can only hope Mahomes II gets to play behind defenses even remotely as consistently good as Alex got too. Amazing 5 year streak from 2011-2015 he had a top five defense EVERY season. And even in 2016 we led the NFL in forcing turnovers and defensive TDs. Not to mention an elite special teams. Not hard to be the pawn when your defense/special teams are the king.

Football is a team game. Getting leads allows a defense to be aggressive. Being efficient, protecting the ball, burns clock and gives the defense more field to cover before scoring opportunities. Since we were a bend don't break defense, that allowed more time off the clock when the opponents had to go further to score. Not saying that it wasn't a great defense, that the offense wasn't lacking, definitely not too 5 like the D was (a bit cyclical argument here), but it counted for something.

In the first five games this year, we were scoring deeper plays in quicker and so while we were putting up a lot of points, the defense wasn't rested. When the defense is tired, they are more likely to allow the other team to score and when that happens, the opponents aren't turned into one dimensional. We aren't allowed to be as aggressive.

The defense has gotten better in the last six games and the offense didn't hold up it's end when it went back to conservative plays that is designed to burn clock and rest the defense and keep them off the field. Even in the close loss to Oakland, we scored quickly twice, even though one was before the half so the defense didn't really go back on the field.

If Mahomes fails it will be because of Mahomes. If Alex fails it will be because of Alex. Period. But what is failure? It’s not taking the next step after step. Recognizing, improving, executing. Smith recognized the Chiefs drafted his replacement, he improved his attitude and motivation, and executed at an MVP level. Where the fuck is that now?

Not sure your argument is helping his cause at the moment. Alex has the tools to stomp on Pittsburgh and New England in the playoffs with a good defense, the best TE in the game, the fastest dude on the field, and a RB sensation ready to grind. The fact that he finally unleashes his full potential at the beginning of his final season with the Chiefs is quite convenient yet annoying. Will the real Alex Smith please stand up and stay up?

Of all the things you say Smith has, the only thing that matters is Travis Kelce. Track speed in itself is near worthless, and Tyreek Hill is grossly overrated. When the Chiefs had a chain-mover in Conley, Tyreek Hill was the deep threat to complement the Chiefs' threat in the short game, but Hill was never the piece that made the offense work. Runningbacks are worthless when offensive linemen can't maul their assignments even though every offensive lineman with a run-blocking assignment has a tactical and physical advantage over the defender. (For comparison, look what Alfred Morris did behind the Cowboys' offensive line tonight.)

I've been consistent about this: The offense changed from the moment Conley went out with his achilles injury. The Chiefs went 5-0 with him, and 1-5 without him.

Of all the things you say Smith has, the only thing that matters is Travis Kelce. Track speed in itself is near worthless, and Tyreek Hill is grossly overrated. When the Chiefs had a chain-mover in Conley, Tyreek Hill was the deep threat to complement the Chiefs' threat in the short game, but Hill was never the piece that made the offense work. Runningbacks are worthless when offensive linemen can't maul their assignments even though every offensive lineman with a run-blocking assignment has a tactical and physical advantage over the defender. (For comparison, look what Alfred Morris did behind the Cowboys' offensive line tonight.)

I've been consistent about this: The offense changed from the moment Conley went out with his achilles injury. The Chiefs went 5-0 with him, and 1-5 without him.

I completely agree with the Conley jesture. Hardly anyone has mentioned it but really he was the bread and butter which gelled this offense together. Yes, he didn't show up on the stat sheet often yet he did all the dirty work. Excellent blocker and big bodied chain mover which Alex trusted.

Point being is if the Chiefs want to be an elite team then they most overcome such injuries. This game is all about adapting and executing. This week will tell a lot and decide the Chiefs and Smith's fate. I think Smith will pull out of it and silence the critics...

I completely agree with the Conley jesture. Hardly anyone has mentioned it but really he was the bread and butter which gelled this offense together. Yes, he didn't show up on the stat sheet often yet he did all the dirty work. Excellent blocker and big bodied chain mover which Alex trusted.

Point being is if the Chiefs want to be an elite team then they most overcome such injuries. This game is all about adapting and executing. This week will tell a lot and decide the Chiefs and Smith's fate.

But it's not simply 'Smith has to learn to gel with players he didn't practice with during Training Camp'. Demarcus Robinson is light years behind Chris Conley, and provides a classic example of the superior athlete who lacks the savvy and understanding of the starting-caliber veteran. Conley's injury cemented Jeremy Maclin's release as being premature; this wide receiver corps was already lacking depth, and Conley was the only player left who could execute the role of possession receiver within Reid's scheme.

A great example IMO is Russell Wilson who was tearing it up with a rookie deal but once they had to pay him Seahawks started losing some of that great defense to FA and are now questionable, yet solid. It's actually a very good strategy to keep veteran QBs like Smith but when that guy makes about 13-15% of the entire cap it becomes a major issue. I believe Chiefs would have been much better if Smith would be playing for 10-12 million at most and there's a very good chance that such a QB category will come up in the NFL with most of the expensive guys are not making enough difference to justify the salary.

Great QB or not is not relevant. The accusation was that we haven't tried. The assumption is the only way to try is through first round picks. Again, assuming they are better than 2nd Rounders and below. Don't bother me with the results, they've tried, paying high enough money to be prioritizing the position. You can try something and not succeed without "not trying."

Now, we've not only drafted a player in the first round, we have a good mentor, great QB guru, young team, and cap space. Smith wouldn't be a saint by taking pennies but I do think his contract has a bit of a start me or let me go aspect of it. SF could have kept him. So I think we waited until we found the right guy with the right staff. Lucked out because that may never have happened. We finished too high to every have a good pick.

Trying means drafting and developing. I knows you from scout board but we have never really tried in the sense like we did this year. We traded up to get our guy. We had chances before to take other qbs and passed on them too. When have we really invested in a Qb worth a damn of our own other than trading cor other people's scraps? Montana was well past his prime and did well for the very short time here but he was not a franchise Qb we built on or developed behind.

Smith was the best option we had at the time but again, giving up 2 second rounders cost us a chance at Carr or maybe we should have taken him instead of Ford? Again it is not always a first or second round pick but you can't keep trying undrafted guys,or waiting to the 5th round either all the time. Before Mahomes it was Croyle in the 3rd. Not much have we really ever taken the chance since the Bkackledge set back. I would call that not try8ng by not really addressing the position with the intent of actually improving it for the long haul. Pointing to Montanna was more of a quick fix to gdt us over the hill and it almost worked but then we fell back to the same old rut of getting other caste aways. Not a long term fix imo.

Trying means drafting and developing. I knows you from scout board but we have never really tried in the sense like we did this year. We traded up to get our guy. We had chances before to take other qbs and passed on them too. When have we really invested in a Qb worth a damn of our own other than trading cor other people's scraps? Montana was well past his prime and did well for the very short time here but he was not a franchise Qb we built on or developed behind.

Smith was the best option we had at the time but again, giving up 2 second rounders cost us a chance at Carr or maybe we should have taken him instead of Ford? Again it is not always a first or second round pick but you can't keep trying undrafted guys,or waiting to the 5th round either all the time. Before Mahomes it was Croyle in the 3rd. Not much have we really ever taken the chance since the Bkackledge set back. I would call that not try8ng by not really addressing the position with the intent of actually improving it for the long haul. Pointing to Montanna was more of a quick fix to gdt us over the hill and it almost worked but then we fell back to the same old rut of getting other caste aways. Not a long term fix imo.

Giving up two second round picks and signing Smith to an extension was trying. Giving up the picks that could have gotten Carr and someone else is a significant investment. I understand that you and many feel that only drafting and developing your own is trying, but this idea does not have a monopoly of the word trying. You can try something unsuccessfully. You can keep trying something that doesn't work. But doesn't mean you're not trying or don't prioritize or don't care. I'm fine saying that the Chiefs have been wrong time after time. But I'm not going to lament about them not trying or caring about the position.

The reality is, until Reid came, we didn't have the coach to develop our own and so we tried to get somebody who has been developed like Cassell in New England's system and Smith who had some success in San Francisco that Reid, the quarterback guru, wanted until he could get his guy. One could say we missed on Carr but otherwise, Reid wasn't going to go get any quarterback just to get a quarterback. I think Mahomes could be better than Carr so I'm not complaining. Lynch was reportedly someone we were interested in, but even though Denver may botch his development and injuries may cost him some, I don't think the improvement he would have playing here instead of there would be better than tMahomes.

Smith has been here five years. If we had somehow lucked or earned a SB by defense and Smith playing at his height, we may have had him for a few years longer. That would be long term. Again, I don't judge trying by results. That could have been intended to last longer. Cassell was meant to last longer, too, with giving draft capital. Wrongly thought, perhaps, but not a quick fix with no prioritization. It's a philosophy issue, not an effort issue and that was changed with Mahomes.

Ah, so the excuse is built in. I get it. If Mahomes fails, it will be because of the team, whereas when Alex "failed", it was because of Alex. All I've ever heard is that great quarterbacks carry their teams. Correction: All I've ever heard from fans. Most folks in the NFL stay away from such sweeping generalizations. After all, such statements fundamentally ignore a quarterback's reliance on his teammates to do their respective jobs. Smith is unique: He's the only quarterback expected to catch his own passes and block for himself as well.

Your missing the complete point. Alex is good enough to manage offense and compliment a really good defense that provides short fields and points. He's a perfect fit for that. Perfect for Denver right now. But if he's asked to carry a bigger load or be counted on to make clutch plays in the postseason, the plan fails. This much should be painfully obvious.

And Andy doesn't want a team hamstrung by needing to have a top 5 scoring defense every season in order to win games. Not to mention 1 playoff win in 4 seasons isn't working. And that's why you draft a guy with upside to do more. You don't settle with being simply solid but limited at the most important position in sports. There are zero guarantees about Mahomes lI. But this is about experienced extremely knowledgeable football minds knowing we have to try when there's this much confidence this kid has a legit chance to upgrade position. And as an added bonus add huge CAP relief to make positions around QB now deteriorating on defense better.

Alex has had 5 years here and i really hope his tenure here doesn't end the way it's gone the last 6 weeks. There's too much talent to be this bad on offense and limp to the finish line as a complete flop. I've believed all along Alex will get it turned around enough to at least give us a shot. But times running out on what's been a good era with some great defense and a very competent but limited QB who complimented them. Chiefs fans and Andy Reid are looking for more, as we should be and it starts at QB. It certainly doesn't finish theee.

Giving up two second round picks and signing Smith to an extension was trying. Giving up the picks that could have gotten Carr and someone else is a significant investment. I understand that you and many feel that only drafting and developing your own is trying, but this idea does not have a monopoly of the word trying. You can try something unsuccessfully. You can keep trying something that doesn't work. But doesn't mean you're not trying or don't prioritize or don't care. I'm fine saying that the Chiefs have been wrong time after time. But I'm not going to lament about them not trying or caring about the position.

The reality is, until Reid came, we didn't have the coach to develop our own and so we tried to get somebody who has been developed like Cassell in New England's system and Smith who had some success in San Francisco that Reid, the quarterback guru, wanted until he could get his guy. One could say we missed on Carr but otherwise, Reid wasn't going to go get any quarterback just to get a quarterback. I think Mahomes could be better than Carr so I'm not complaining. Lynch was reportedly someone we were interested in, but even though Denver may botch his development and injuries may cost him some, I don't think the improvement he would have playing here instead of there would be better than tMahomes.

Smith has been here five years. If we had somehow lucked or earned a SB by defense and Smith playing at his height, we may have had him for a few years longer. That would be long term. Again, I don't judge trying by results. That could have been intended to last longer. Cassell was meant to last longer, too, with giving draft capital. Wrongly thought, perhaps, but not a quick fix with no prioritization. It's a philosophy issue, not an effort issue and that was changed with Mahomes.

Despite reality we would have been better off drafting Card, Ive got zero problem the way Andy has handled QB position since he got here. Alex was the targeted stop gap guy to give Andy time to legitimately find a guy in the draft he thought could be great And I had zero doubt Andy would break the embarrassing mold and actually draft a guy early once he found the right one. This was a well thought out plan.

You don't just throw darts at the board and draft a QB this early unless your scouting department and coach really believe in him. And when you find a guy like that you don't sit around and hope he's there, you target him and make it happen

There are zero guarantees. But this is what truly trying looks like.

Your missing the complete point. Alex is good enough to manage offense and compliment a really good defense that provides short fields and points. He's a perfect fit for that. Perfect for Denver right now. But if he's asked to carry a bigger load or be counted on to make clutch plays in the postseason, the plan fails. This much should be painfully obvious.

And Andy doesn't want a team hamstrung by needing to have a top 5 scoring defense every season in order to win games. Not to mention 1 playoff win in 4 seasons isn't working. And that's why you draft a guy with upside to do more. You don't settle with being simply solid but limited at the most important position in sports. There are zero guarantees about Mahomes lI. But this is about experienced extremely knowledgeable football minds knowing we have to try when there's this much confidence this kid has a legit chance to upgrade position. And as an added bonus add huge CAP relief to make positions around QB now deteriorating on defense better.

Alex has had 5 years here and i really hope his tenure here doesn't end the way it's gone the last 6 weeks. There's too much talent to be this bad on offense and limp to the finish line as a complete flop. I've believed all along Alex will get it turned around enough to at least give us a shot. But times running out on what's been a good era with some great defense and a very competent but limited QB who complimented them. Chiefs fans and Andy Reid are looking for more, as we should be and it starts at QB. It certainly doesn't finish theee.

Smith has the capability of producing but he also has dependency upon other players not being injured, running the wrong route, dropping balls, the line, etc. he will also miss open players, get happy feet, and not use the tools he has. Some of that is on the coach and some of that is on the coach's perception of the quarterback but much of that can be on the quarterback as well. No one has ever claimed him to be Brady or Rodgers and even they need their cast to some degree. (The coach gets the credit for what we do get out of our players.)

The defense helped him and hurt him in the Colts game of the playoffs. Despite that, I can't say that wasn't producing in the postseason. He did that with multiple injuries. Bowe didn't get his foot inbounds, Smith didn't throw it inside more, but he was carrying our injured team to some degree. I'm not going to blame Smith for not pushing against the Texans. I think locked in Smith could've carried the team against Houston if necessary.

Earning the bye week was good for us, but also took away one likely playoff win. So while I cannot give him those wins, I see Smith as a one to three game quarterback, meaning that if every year started in the wildcard round, I would expect his team to get to the second or third round. I don't see us losing the first game often if Smith had a longer career here. Obviously, the Super Bowl is the fourth round and we need other players around our team to get there. Not the best, not the worst.

A great example IMO is Russell Wilson who was tearing it up with a rookie deal but once they had to pay him Seahawks started losing some of that great defense to FA and are now questionable, yet solid. It's actually a very good strategy to keep veteran QBs like Smith but when that guy makes about 13-15% of the entire cap it becomes a major issue. I believe Chiefs would have been much better if Smith would be playing for 10-12 million at most and there's a very good chance that such a QB category will come up in the NFL with most of the expensive guys are not making enough difference to justify the salary.

Thjs season is a perfect example. The Jets are getting comparable production from a 6 million dollar veteran as we are from a 17 million dollar guy. That 11 million lets us keep Maclin and sign a corner that actually belongs in the NFL. When your QB is nowhere near elite, this matters even more.

Smith has the capability of producing but he also has dependency upon other players not being injured, running the wrong route, dropping balls, the line, etc. he will also miss open players, get happy feet, and not use the tools he has. Some of that is on the coach and some of that is on the coach's perception of the quarterback but much of that can be on the quarterback as well. No one has ever claimed him to be Brady or Rodgers and even they need their cast to some degree. (The coach gets the credit for what we do get out of our players.)

The defense helped him and hurt him in the Colts game of the playoffs. Despite that, I can't say that wasn't producing in the postseason. He did that with multiple injuries. Bowe didn't get his foot inbounds, Smith didn't throw it inside more, but he was carrying our injured team to some degree. I'm not going to blame Smith for not pushing against the Texans. I think locked in Smith could've carried the team against Houston if necessary.

Earning the bye week was good for us, but also took away one likely playoff win. So while I cannot give him those wins, I see Smith as a one to three game quarterback, meaning that if every year started in the wildcard round, I would expect his team to get to the second or third round. I don't see us losing the first game often if Smith had a longer career here. Obviously, the Super Bowl is the fourth round and we need other players around our team to get there. Not the best, not the worst.

Anyone who wants to blame all these offensive issues on Alex is as wrong as a person who doesn't recognize Alex has shortcomings which also contribute to the overall problem. The extremes on both sides are ridiculous and ignorant to reality. Alex is largely a very solid starter. A 7 out of 10 that plays near that level consistently. The last 5 weeks would en an exception just as much as the first 5.

Andys just looking for a guy that has the talent to play a few notches higher. Make that one or two plays in the postseason that propels you to the Final Four and beyond. A guy who can open up the offense and challenge defenses downfield with more regularity. That's where the game has moved too and Andy knows we need to move with it.

Archived