Reid turns playcalling duties to Nagy!!

Chiefs’ Andy Reid giving up playcalling duties to OC Matt Nagy tells us a couple of things

by Joel Thorman@ArrowheadPride Dec 3, 2017

The Kansas City Chiefs offense is in a rut and they needed to make a change. According to reports from ESPN’s Chris Mortensen and NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport, Chiefs coach Andy Reid is giving up playcalling duties to offensive coordinator Matt Nagy. He will call the plays Sunday against the Jets.

Here is Nagy’s bio and here is a good story on him if you’re not familiar. Andy Reid has given up playcalling duties before, as Mort noted. He did so with Brad Childress in Philadelphia and Doug Pederson earlier in Kansas City (supposedly the second half of games at one point went to Pederson).

This tells me a couple of things. First, Andy Reid really likes Matt Nagy and the Chiefs offense needed some sort of change, any change. This is quite the trust to put in the kid (OK, he’s 39 years old). I don’t know what was wrong with the offense and I’m not sure that the Chiefs did either if they couldn’t fix it but they needed to do something different. This is different.

The other thing I think it tells me is that Nagy may be closer to a head coaching job than we realize. This will help Nagy’s resume for a future head coaching job if the Chiefs offense does well with him calling plays. With the Colts job potentially coming open this offseason and former Chiefs executive Chris Ballard running the show there it certainly makes me wonder, especially with a move like this.

YESSSSSSS!!!..this is something I didn't expect to happen but better late than never yall :D . I remember reading a comment on twitter what stated that Andy said Nagy is "the best head coach prospect he has ever had in his staff", which really made me raise an eyebrow tbh. So with this move now I guess we'll see what Nagy is all about. But apart from that, if Nagy doesn't do well it may open up the spot for someone else to come in and help out the calling next year!!!..so it's a win-win situation really. 

No doubt though it's a big move and if Smith still contrives to stink up the place today then I guess there's only one move left to make!!!..and we all know what that is......

Chiefs’ Andy Reid giving up playcalling duties to OC Matt Nagy tells us a couple of things

by Joel Thorman@ArrowheadPride Dec 3, 2017

The Kansas City Chiefs offense is in a rut and they needed to make a change. According to reports from ESPN’s Chris Mortensen and NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport, Chiefs coach Andy Reid is giving up playcalling duties to offensive coordinator Matt Nagy. He will call the plays Sunday against the Jets.

Here is Nagy’s bio and here is a good story on him if you’re not familiar. Andy Reid has given up playcalling duties before, as Mort noted. He did so with Brad Childress in Philadelphia and Doug Pederson earlier in Kansas City (supposedly the second half of games at one point went to Pederson).

This tells me a couple of things. First, Andy Reid really likes Matt Nagy and the Chiefs offense needed some sort of change, any change. This is quite the trust to put in the kid (OK, he’s 39 years old). I don’t know what was wrong with the offense and I’m not sure that the Chiefs did either if they couldn’t fix it but they needed to do something different. This is different.

The other thing I think it tells me is that Nagy may be closer to a head coaching job than we realize. This will help Nagy’s resume for a future head coaching job if the Chiefs offense does well with him calling plays. With the Colts job potentially coming open this offseason and former Chiefs executive Chris Ballard running the show there it certainly makes me wonder, especially with a move like this.

I'd say this. Lincoln Riley just led a team with 5 freshman starters to college football playoff and he's only 34. Nagy is no kid and we need more input and innovation from some of our younger coaches on both sides.

Nagy may want to call plays to Mahomes instead of Smith, I think this is the beginning of Smith's end.

Timeline hasn't changed. Smith is playing for his job today anyway regardless of who is calling the play calls. Mahomes is the quarterback next year regardless of how us started. If Smith plays adequate (and we win) to well, the rest of the season, it's his regardless of who is calling the play calls.

Wasn't able to see the game and only heard the end. Did Nagy actually call the game and was there a noticeable difference?

There was definitely some improvement but the run game was still terrible. Chiefs basically got 4 big pass plays that kept the offense in the game and made the difference.

Nagy is probably auditioning for a job right now and has until the end of the season. If he doesn't work out I'm expecting a new guy to come in.

Archived