What if Andy keeps Sutton?

In all fairness, when Sutton was hired and for a good while following, we were a dominant defense. But as we can clearly see, that very defense is rapidly aging to the point of collapse. Unfornately there have been several key additions that were expected to replenish by attrition, that simply failed (read Ford etc. into this), and the blueprint to success in dominating us is not only published but widely disseminated throughout the league. Ladies and gentleman, it is over.

Any DC that needs elite talent across the D to be elite, isn't a very great DC at all.  We have spent a lot of picks and money on that side of the ball but we haven't seemed to develop many players there.  That is on coaching.   We will end up spending all our cap space trying to make that unit serviceable for next year.....again.   I believe there has to be a scheme that we can run here in KC that we aren't always depending on one or two superstars to make us just avg.   Rather those one or two superstars make us great and without them we are still serviceable.   There will be some hard decisions to make this offseason in player personnel and coaching staff.

Father Time's defense has always been a read and react. Yes, give up yards between the 20s yet stifle opponents in the red zone. They are doing neither now and gave up 7 scoring drives to the Jets 9 possessions.

100 percent right. Sutton has done a very good job since he got here until this year. His personnel has regressed in a major way and he hasn't gambled enough to help when he could. But it's a talent issue above all else. IId like to see new blood here as well.

I just saw Seattle run a corner blitz to sack the QB. When was the last time we did something even remotely “creative” that didn’t involve jamming all the rushers straight at the oline?

You really want to blitz Marcus Peters? The guy couldn't make the tackle if his life depended on it. I guess my point is our corners other than Nelson are all limited.

You really want to blitz Marcus Peters? The guy couldn't make the tackle if his life depended on it. I guess my point is our corners other than Nelson are all limited.

A corner blitz would be more like Nelson blitzing from the slot with a safety picking up his man. I still think the biggest problem with the defense was going into this year relying on DJ who is older , lost a step and was coming off of yet another season ending injury. DJ has been flat out awful, trying to shoulder tackle without wrapping up, and that’s not even mentioning the loss in speed. He’s a smart player but physically he just doesn’t have it anymore. I was pretty vocal about this coming into the season. Now, a healthy berry would’ve masked some of DJ and his drop off a cliff , but as soon as he went down with another season ending injury, I knew we were screwed. Given roster construction, dead money tied up in declining players and injuries , I really think Sutton has done an admirable job. Yes we got piss pounded today but in recent weeks the defense has played pretty well and I think Sutton should get some credit for that considering what he’s got to work with. That’s not an endorsement of Sutton being retained by any means , I just think Andy Reid and Dorsey completely screwed this roster for 2017. Getting out from under so many bad contracts after this season leads me to believe our true window will open with the beginning of the 2019 season.

The only reason Chiefs are losing right now is Reid, others have a role to play as well but when the HC is so far removed from actually coaching a team the rest is bound to fail. Reid needs to get his act together and get a control over the team otherwise we'll be wasting the Mahomes era. 

A corner blitz would be more like Nelson blitzing from the slot with a safety picking up his man. I still think the biggest problem with the defense was going into this year relying on DJ who is older , lost a step and was coming off of yet another season ending injury. DJ has been flat out awful, trying to shoulder tackle without wrapping up, and that’s not even mentioning the loss in speed. He’s a smart player but physically he just doesn’t have it anymore. I was pretty vocal about this coming into the season. Now, a healthy berry would’ve masked some of DJ and his drop off a cliff , but as soon as he went down with another season ending injury, I knew we were screwed. Given roster construction, dead money tied up in declining players and injuries , I really think Sutton has done an admirable job. Yes we got piss pounded today but in recent weeks the defense has played pretty well and I think Sutton should get some credit for that considering what he’s got to work with. That’s not an endorsement of Sutton being retained by any means , I just think Andy Reid and Dorsey completely screwed this roster for 2017. Getting out from under so many bad contracts after this season leads me to believe our true window will open with the beginning of the 2019 season.

I agree. The defense looks a lot better when it was Ragland and Pierre-Louis in there together. More speed and physicality

Archived