Where did we go wrong in the draft?

None. There have been some horror picks like Hogan, but Overall Dorsey was a very good drafter, with a great draft philosophy.   Drafts have been overall good for years.   Hopefully that can continue.  Need tough, hard nosed Coaching though.  

Drafting to replace a player the following year. Ford for Hali etc. Not drafting for needs to win this year. Look at the roster. Where are the above avg draft picks? A few and thats it. The rest are not even good bench players. Dorsey was a  poor GM. AD cap hell to that.

Biggest mistake was drafting three defensive backs last year and none have been effective with the possible exception of Murray a few times.  This season's draft is a mystery.  Where are KPass and Eligwe?  Hunt is good and Mahomes is untested so far, but where's the rest of the draft?  Fisher is average and picked in a year without an exceptional #1, but Ford is a bust and Peters is fading from favor.  Lots of work to do with this team.

2016.  We traded down for DT Cris Jones.  Has that guy done ANYTHING  AT ALL???

quick link to 2016  nfl drafttracker if you guys want to peruse our FAILURE. F-ing disaster. Sure the Steelers got some awesome D talent.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/tracker?icampaign=draft-sub_nav_bar-drafteventpage-tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-team/dt-by-team-input:kc

We neglected wide receiver, linebacker and cornerback.  If not neglected, then made poor choices.  Those are too important of positions to let slide like we have.  

They didn't neglect cornerback, they made poor choices.  Robinson isn't all that bad and Hill has made some big plays.  Yeah, they could use another big receiver, but with Kelce, it's not the top priority.  What's missing is another rush linebacker and another ILB.  DJ is done.  Hali is done.  Ragland may work out okay, but they need another on the inside and Houston needs a compliment on the other side.

We neglected wide receiver, linebacker and cornerback. If not neglected, then made poor choices. Those are too important of positions to let slide like we have.

Dorsey badly neglected ILB. Whiffed on Gaines and Russell on day two at CB. And really need a veteran influence at WR to lead young group. IE.. CAP mismanagement forcing us to release veteran leader of group

Mitchell was a 7th round draft pick that played in 8 games for two teams in two years and was released by three teams.  One of them released him twice.  Acker was a 6th round pick.  Also by another team. We all know about Revis.   Nelson and Gaines were both third rounders and both suck.  The only real effort to address cornerback in the draft was Peters.  

None. There have been some horror picks like Hogan, but Overall Dorsey was a very good drafter, with a great draft philosophy.   Drafts have been overall good for years.   Hopefully that can continue.  Need tough, hard nosed Coaching though.  

Don't agree at all. I made a thread stating how this year's draft had been a disaster and folks were trying to come at me. Well, we see the chickens have come home to roost now. Statistically, our rookies have had the lowest amount of snaps out of the ENTIRE LEAGUE, that's pitiful and shows the draft didn't work for us. The draft completely neglected this season and took gambles on players we have no clue whether they will be competent enough to be starters in the future. Kpass, Eligwe, Chesson, Mcquay etc have not done anything of note all season.  

We neglected wide receiver, linebacker and cornerback.  If not neglected, then made poor choices.  Those are too important of positions to let slide like we have.  

Not sure if we neglected the CB. I would love to see the Chiefs add at least one guy in 2017 as it was a great draft class but over the years Chiefs selected Peters in 1st and added few more CBs in mid rounds such as Nelson and Russell in 3rd and some DBs later on. 

We definitely ignored the ILB and WR position though. Besides the Maclin signing there hasn't really been a major WR investment and that shows on the field. Also there seems to be some coaching problems with the prospects as they seem to be progressing very slowly. 

I think it has to center on the 2013 draft. Of all the years the Chiefs get the #1 overall pick and it turns out to be the weakest draft in years. And the Chiefs put themselves in a situation where they had to take a Left tackle. Fisher has been average on his best day. To me that pick is the epicenter of our issues. That whiff has set us back big time IMO.

I think it has to center on the 2013 draft. Of all the years the Chiefs get the #1 overall pick and it turns out to be the weakest draft in years. And the Chiefs put themselves in a situation where they had to take a Left tackle. Fisher has been average on his best day. To me that pick is the epicenter of our issues. That whiff has set us back big time IMO.

Yep.  I wanted Richardson.  Maybe we can pick him up next year.

Hindsight, should have taken him, or Hopkins.  Maybe Bell.

Not sure if we neglected the CB.

Anybody that thinks we haven't neglected cornerback will have to explain our cornerback situation and why Darrelle Revis was picked up to start meaningful games in December. Our cornerback situation is as bad as I have seen as a long time Chiefs fan. JOSH MCCOWN just threw for 331 yards against us and 38 points. Our corners give up big play after big play. They have horrible critical penalties.

It's not all on them, the pass rush is terrible and the scheme is bad. But when we are talking whether we should Terrance Mitchell, a 7th round pick that was cut 4 times and played in 8 games over 2 years before we picked him up or Revis who we picked up mid season from his job at Hy Vee foods then I will continue to think we have neglected possibly the second most important position on the field.

Dorsey had some bad picks or picks that just never materialized and absolute HR's

2013 draft was unlucky with the 1st pick the selections were garbage.  No QB's but needed to get a LT and Fisher for all he is has still been better than everyone else we passed up early.  Killed it with Kelce but everyone else except those 2 are now gone.

2014 draft - Dee Ford has never materialized, Gaines sucks, DAT is irrelevant, Fulton is a backup but he was a 6th round pick so that is his expectation and he nailed it with LDT as a 6th rounder.  This was a bad draft overall.

2015 draft - This was a great draft, great players in Peters and Morse, good players in Conley and Nelson and players who could be good but at least good fillers in Ramik and Nacho.  Can't complaint about this one to much.

2016 draft - This is the up and down one, Chris Jones in the 2nd after the tradeback has been great, Kei Russell at 3 is a major miss and everyone else hasn't been a major factor except the obvious Hill who was a killer pick in the 6th.

2017 draft is way to early to assess. 

Archived