Could this be why Dorsey got canned?

A couple weeks ago I saw a "Top 10 - Bottom 10" Chiefs Dorsey drafted.  It wasn't impressive. In fact, it looked pretty mediocre.

The Chiefs are paying studs (sarcasm) like Fisher and Duvernay-Tardif to big contracts, and we are up against the cap this year.

The past draft was so mediocre that Reid isn't playing much from it other than Hunt.

The defense is broken.  The bench is weak.

Some of the guys who we love to hate in the secondary, well most were drafted by the Chiefs.

Could this be the reason Dorsey got canned? Reid went to Hunt and told him Dorsey was mediocre at talent acquisition?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couple weeks ago I saw a "Top 10 - Bottom 10" Chiefs Dorsey drafted. It wasn't impressive. In fact, it looked pretty mediocre.

The Chiefs are paying studs (sarcasm) like Fisher and Duvernay-Tardif to big contracts, and we are up against the cap this year.

The past draft was so mediocre that Reid isn't playing much from it other than Hunt.

The defense is broken. The bench is weak.

Some of the guys who we love to hate in the secondary, well most were drafted by the Chiefs.

Could this be the reason Dorsey got canned? Reid went to Hunt and told him Dorsey was mediocre at talent acquisition?

I think it's A reason Dorsey got fired. There was a cliff coming and our penchant for overpaying underperforming players put us behind 8 ball.

Dorsey didn't sign big contracts in a vacuum.   Hunt signed off on every one.   Dorsey knew he needed better cap management going forward, that's why he fired the old cap guy, and hired a new one.  Then Hunt stupidly fired him.  Hunt is a smug punk, but we're stuck with him, unfortunately.   He is a horrible owner.   4 GM's, 5 Head Coaches in the last decade.    He spends money, I'll give him that, but his organizational structure is horrid, and now he's stuck with a HC with all the power, and no checks on him.  

I can see the Fisher contract being a primary reason as it was literally a stupid deal in which Chiefs didn't receive a prolonged playing time or short term cap relief. Just a terrible deal and it came with less than a year of mediocre play. 

That being said Dorsey found some nice talent, just not always from the draft. Most of the lineup is made of such guys who have a lot of potential but are expected to start. Dorsey was terrible at resigning his own guys though, Chiefs almost never got hometown discount. 

Wow...two years ago the praises for Dorsey as a talent evaluator and roster builder were off the charts. 11-5 and 12-4 records tend to make one overlook the cracks in the foundation. Now the building is in shambles and the Emperor has no clothes...????

Dorsey didn't sign big contracts in a vacuum. Hunt signed off on every one. Dorsey knew he needed better cap management going forward, that's why he fired the old cap guy, and hired a new one. Then Hunt stupidly fired him. Hunt is a smug punk, but we're stuck with him, unfortunately. He is a horrible owner. 4 GM's, 5 Head Coaches in the last decade. He spends money, I'll give him that, but his organizational structure is horrid, and now he's stuck with a HC with all the power, and no checks on him.

Dorsey fired a guy by voicemail. It was the straw that broke the camels back.

Dorsey made his own bed

Wow...two years ago the praises for Dorsey as a talent evaluator and roster builder were off the charts. 11-5 and 12-4 records tend to make one overlook the cracks in the foundation. Now the building is in shambles and the Emperor has no clothes...

Dorsey is still a great talent evaluator and roster builder.   This collapse this year isn't on him.  He's not here, and he wouldn't have done some of the things that have been done in a desperate attempt to fix it, and may have tried other things.   Unfortunately we'll never know, and he'll likely be a success again at roster building and talent evaluating elsewhere, thanks to Hunt.   The emperors have business suits and Hawaiian shirts.  :D  

Dorsey is still a great talent evaluator and roster builder.   This collapse this year isn't on him.  He's not here, and he wouldn't have done some of the things that have been done in a desperate attempt to fix it, and may have tried other things.   Unfortunately we'll never know, and he'll likely be a success again at roster building and talent evaluating elsewhere, thanks to Hunt.   The emperors have business suits and Hawaiian shirts.  :D

I know you don't like it because it doesn't fit your agenda, but this is his roster minus a couple injuries. He lost his job June 22. I'd say minus the injuries it has been upgraded with Ragland and Buttkicker. This roster was not good. I wish it was believe me.

I know you don't like it because it doesn't fit your agenda, but this is his roster minus a couple injuries. He lost his job June 22. I'd say minus the injuries it has been upgraded with Ragland and Buttkicker. This roster was not good. I wish it was believe me.

My "agenda" is facts.  Dorsey isn't here.   To blame him for this recent collapse, reeks of an agenda.  Dorsey didn't sign Revis.   Dorsey didn't fail to sign Alex Collins, or other young players around that might have helped.   That's what he did through his 4 years.   His record here speaks for itself, and will get him the top job elsewhere.  Complete turnaround quick, and continued good team for 4 years.   The year he's not here, the wheels are falling off.   Those are facts.  

My "agenda" is facts. Dorsey isn't here. To blame him for this recent collapse, reeks of an agenda. Dorsey didn't sign Revis. Dorsey didn't fail to sign Alex Collins, or other young players around that might have helped. That's what he did through his 4 years. His record here speaks for itself, and will get him the top job elsewhere. Complete turnaround quick, and continued good team for 4 years. The year he's not here, the wheels are falling off. Those are facts.

It's falling apart bc of Dorsey.

What were the problems we had when Dorsey was hired?

"Who will replace Tamba as the pass rusher opposite Houston?"

"Who will be our #2 CB?"

"Who will play ILB next to DJ?"

Those questions were still being asked after 5 offseason for Dorsey to fix it.

At least Veach answered one of them with Ragland

My "agenda" is facts.  Dorsey isn't here.   To blame him for this recent collapse, reeks of an agenda.  Dorsey didn't sign Revis.   Dorsey didn't fail to sign Alex Collins, or other young players around that might have helped.   That's what he did through his 4 years.   His record here speaks for itself, and will get him the top job elsewhere.  Complete turnaround quick, and continued good team for 4 years.   The year he's not here, the wheels are falling off.   Those are facts.

We signed Revis because we have a horrific set of cornerbacks. Absolutely horrific. And while we will never know for sure, there's a very small chance that Dorsey would have signed Alex Collins also. Just because he turned out well doesn't mean you can blame Veach for not signing him. He was waived by the Seahawks and put on the Panthers practice squad. It's not exactly a miss. Who would you have had Veach cut off of Dorsey's roster to pick up a waived running back? And what makes you think he would have had the same success behind this god awful line?

We signed Revis because we have a horrific set of cornerbacks. Absolutely horrific. And while we will never know for sure, there's a very small chance that Dorsey would have signed Alex Collins also. Just because he turned out well doesn't mean you can blame Veach for not signing him. He was waived by the Seahawks and put on the Panthers practice squad. It's not exactly a miss. Who would you have had Veach cut off of Dorsey's roster to pick up a waived running back? And what makes you think he would have had the same success behind this god awful line?

Collins cleared waivers.  He was available for anyone to sign, or put in a waiver claim.   I wanted him the minute he was cut, so yes, I'll call it a failure.   He's better than West or Akeem Hunt, and at least is a better alternative then they are.   

Dorsey has a proven excellent track record.  Veach has a very long way to go to approach it.  Signing bums like Mauga, Roy Miller, Revis isn't a good start.  Getting Ragland is.  More moves like that, less like the others.

How can anyone cover for Dorsey right now?

Steven Nelson, Dee Ford, Phillip Gaines, Ramik Wilson, Daniel Sorenson, Ron Parker, Terrance Mitchell, Bennie Logan, Chris Jones.

Everyone on this defense except Ragland and Revis were acquired by John Dorsey.

Absolving him from blame is showing that you have an agenda. John and Andy both deserve a ton of criticism for this season.

Put this in another thread but think it applies here:

Dorsey had some bad picks or picks that just never materialized and absolute HR's

2013 draft was unlucky with the 1st pick the selections were garbage.  No QB's but needed to get a LT and Fisher for all he is has still been better than everyone else we passed up early.  Killed it with Kelce but everyone else except those 2 are now gone.

2014 draft - Dee Ford has never materialized, Gaines sucks, DAT is irrelevant, Fulton is a backup but he was a 6th round pick so that is his expectation and he nailed it with LDT as a 6th rounder.  This was a bad draft overall.

2015 draft - This was a great draft, great players in Peters and Morse, good players in Conley and Nelson and players who could be good but at least good fillers in Ramik and Nacho.  Can't complaint about this one to much.

2016 draft - This is the up and down one, Chris Jones in the 2nd after the tradeback has been great, Kei Russell at 3 is a major miss and everyone else hasn't been a major factor except the obvious Hill who was a killer pick in the 6th.

2017 draft is way to early to assess. 

To me rounds 1-3 are the important ones.  Losing two 2nd round picks for Alex already puts us in a bad situation.  Losing picks like Kei Russell, Kniles Davis and Gaines in the 3rd hurt.  Ford for our first pick needs to improve dramatically.

Your agenda full of facts never seems to include the fact that Dorsey was possibly the worst GM in the league with regard to cap management. But maybe you think that cap space is one of those minor details.

Put this in another thread but think it applies here:

Dorsey had some bad picks or picks that just never materialized and absolute HR's

2013 draft was unlucky with the 1st pick the selections were garbage.  No QB's but needed to get a LT and Fisher for all he is has still been better than everyone else we passed up early.  Killed it with Kelce but everyone else except those 2 are now gone.

2014 draft - Dee Ford has never materialized, Gaines sucks, DAT is irrelevant, Fulton is a backup but he was a 6th round pick so that is his expectation and he nailed it with LDT as a 6th rounder.  This was a bad draft overall.

2015 draft - This was a great draft, great players in Peters and Morse, good players in Conley and Nelson and players who could be good but at least good fillers in Ramik and Nacho.  Can't complaint about this one to much.

2016 draft - This is the up and down one, Chris Jones in the 2nd after the tradeback has been great, Kei Russell at 3 is a major miss and everyone else hasn't been a major factor except the obvious Hill who was a killer pick in the 6th.

2017 draft is way to early to assess. 

To me rounds 1-3 are the important ones.  Losing two 2nd round picks for Alex already puts us in a bad situation.  Losing picks like Kei Russell, Kniles Davis and Gaines in the 3rd hurt.  Ford for our first pick needs to improve dramatically.

Having just 2 players out of every draft playing is hard to swallow. He also had bad cap management, bad negotiations that cost us too. He was good at finding us depth though but still major areas were neglected for far to long. I will say this years draft is wait and see as there are a few developing if anything by choice. On the flip side he did well with letting other high contracts go like Alberts, Hudson etc to get comp picks. We did lose two 2nd round picks for Smith, which I know Reid wanted, Dorsey still did the negotiation for him. Then throw in us losing a 3rd round for tampering.....we are just seeing the results now with an old defense in major areas that were neglected far to long or those brought in on the cheap never developed.

Your agenda full of facts never seems to include the fact that Dorsey was possibly the worst GM in the league with regard to cap management. But maybe you think that cap space is one of those minor details.

I suppose you don't like signing an aging Hali to a three year 22 million dollar contract. Weirdo.

Archived