Houston, what should we do?

Interesting Twitter exchange here about his contract situation...

Arrowhead Pride Retweeted

Joel Corry Retweeted Steven Spector

KC has bigger problems on defense than Justin Houston. Exit can occur in 2018 since salary guarantees are over. $20.6M salary cap number versus $12.7M of dead money ($7.9M cap savings). With post-June 1 designation, $5.6M of 2018 dead money & $7.1M in 2019.

Joel Corry added,

Steven SpectorVerified account @StevenSpector10
@corryjoel I have a question - looking at the Justin Houston's contract, when can the #Chiefs realistically get out of it? Thank you!
0 replies .2 retweets0 likes

Retweet

Love Houston, but the fact is he appears to be slowing up and playing with an injury aswell. I'm not sure if Reid would pull the trigger, but imo the entire defense needs a change so if it means getting rid of the likes of Houston, then so be it.

PFF has him graded in the top ten at OLB. His grade is just outside of the elite level but his overall stats are right in line with his second best season here. Gonna likely finish with 10-11 sacks. He is clearly overpaid though. But he's still playing at a high level that he normally does.

PFF has him graded in the top ten at OLB. His grade is just outside of the elite level but his overall stats are right in line with his second best season here. Gonna likely finish with 10-11 sacks. He is clearly overpaid though. But he's still playing at a high level that he normally does.

So what would you do? Keep his contract as it is?

Houston is not playing up to his contract.  He was way over paid.  How many times have we seen this type of behavior?  Get the big money then basically drop out of sight. Remember Larry Johnson, Albert Haynesworth?  Yes Houston had a couple of knee injuries but since his return he hasn't been hasn't been there.

He’s certainly doing a good job but he’s overpaid as you stated. Do you think this is a situation where it’d be better for the long term to cut him, absorb the hit and save some money and move on ?

Houston is fine for what he is now, a good OLB without elite pass rush skills anymore.  Injuries suck.  He was absolutely worth the contract.   So was JJ Watt.   Then they got hurt.  

But the problem is he seemingly has a never-ending knee issue and If he cannot pass rush at a high level anymore then should he be taking less money now?

But the problem is he seemingly has a never-ending knee issue and If he cannot pass rush at a high level anymore then should he be taking less money now?

I believe he already renegotiated.  He probably will be asked to again.   He's not worth his money now, but with his cap hit and dead money situation, he's in a strong position to dictate terms.  

Not sure why we wouldn't keep him around under the current contract through 2018.   We can cut bait after 2018 with nominal cap hit.  We can't find a replacement for the 8 million we would save and I don't want to renegotiate.   That is how you end up paying a washed up player like Hali 8 million for nothing.    Pay him his money next year and realize you are overpaying a little but still getting a very good player and then look for his replacement in 2019.   

I'd adopt the Patriots philosophy of not overpaying anyone ever. Redo the deal or let him walk after next season.

Precisely. Only problem is they have a hard nosed HC who doesn’t take shit from anyone, and well, we have Andy Reid. Belichick demands accountability, Reid not so much.

Obsessing on Houston and his contract isn't going to change a thing. We are not going to cut him or Berry for at least a year, so all that we can do is a restructure. We have plenty of other cuts to make to generate salary space next year, this argument gets the team nowhere.

We need to gut the coaching staff and focus on a few free agents. The draft is going to fill maybe 1 or 2 spots next year, but that's a crap shot with Veach as well. We need to hope AS keeps racking up yards like yesterday to temp a buyer.

Houston is going nowhere, same with Berry.

Houston isn't really lacking pass rush skills, he's just dropping back way too much. After back to back major knee issues his contract could lead to a cap saving move but I think it's something to consider for 2019 as Chiefs cannot simply create more holes just to save a little money.

I'd love for someone to actually pull up stats on the percentage of plays Houston stays home to keep containment on the edge, drops back into coverage, and actually rushes the QB.

I honestly do not believe that his pass rush skills are that diminished. I think our defensive coordinator has found a way to completely misuse one of the best defensive players in football. Bob Suttons scheme fucking blows.

No restructure!!!!!' Dang you think we would learn that restructuring a massive contract like that only kicks the can down the road. We have one more year to pay his massive deal

Before we can cut him if needed. Hali is what happens when you restructure a bad contract.

Find a legit DL and OLB that generate any pressure and teams won't be able to scheme away from Houston every play and we will see the Houston we all love.

No restructure!!!!!' Dang you think we would learn that restructuring a massive contract like that only kicks the can down the road. We have one more year to pay his massive deal

Before we can cut him if needed. Hali is what happens when you restructure a bad contract.

Find a legit DL and OLB that generate any pressure and teams won't be able to scheme away from Houston every play and we will see the Houston we all love.

Well said

I'd love for someone to actually pull up stats on the percentage of plays Houston stays home to keep containment on the edge, drops back into coverage, and actually rushes the QB.

I honestly do not believe that his pass rush skills are that diminished. I think our defensive coordinator has found a way to completely misuse one of the best defensive players in football. Bob Suttons scheme fucking blows.

I saw the stat a few weeks ago where Justin drops into coverage on pass plays the third most of any edge pass rusher. It was a little over 25 percent. Hes also our highest graded defensive player on PFF. The guy can just do it all as a defender and is our only legit LB that can actually set the edge. And he's still going to likely have 10 plus sacks. He's also clearly overpaid because we waited to long to sign him, but this is without question still a good player and pass rusher.

yep

If we wait till after next year we could restructure based on his play and since we've paid out his guarantees we hold all leverage.

Some of you act like he's on tambas level of ineffectiveness. While he's over paid he still holds value and for that reason you keep him through next year.

Archived