Houston, what should we do?

If we wait till after next year we could restructure based on his play and since we've paid out his guarantees we hold all leverage.

Some of you act like he's on tambas level of ineffectiveness. While he's over paid he still holds value and for that reason you keep him through next year.

I disagree on who holds the leverage, currently.  Justin could just refuse to renegotiate, and if the Chiefs stupidly cut him, and drastically hurt their cap situation, as well as their on field situation, he'll easily make up what salary cutting him costs him.  http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/justin-houston-7789/

I disagree on who holds the leverage, currently.  Justin could just refuse to renegotiate, and if the Chiefs stupidly cut him, and drastically hurt their cap situation, as well as their on field situation, he'll easily make up what salary cutting him costs him.  http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/justin-houston-7789/

What would you do here? He's due 20 plus million the next 3 years and we can get out of the contract after next season for 7 million. He's not elite, but he's our best defender and no reason if knee checks out that he can't be a high level player for the next 3 seasons. But paying him that much is something we need to get away from. I'm not sure how I would handle this. 

I don’t think you get better cutting your best LB. Especially with all that dead money. I think they are rushing him plenty. He is just better at setting the edge and covering. His pass rush skills have dropped off, but still a strength on a weak defense. After next year, maybe.

What would you do here? He's due 20 plus million the next 3 years and we can get out of the contract after next season for 7 million. He's not elite, but he's our best defender and no reason if knee checks out that he can't be a high level player for the next 3 seasons. But paying him that much is something we need to get away from. I'm not sure how I would handle this. 

I would do pretty much what they're doing.   Keep playing their best player, in the role that he fits best in now, an OLB without elite pass rush skills, but still elite in other areas.   He's lost his explosiveness, but not the rest of his game.  

For all the derision Sutton gets for not sending him "enough", he sees what is obvious, Justin gets handled  1 on 1 easily now most times pass rushing.   That was rarely the case before.   So continuing to send him would be bad for the team.  I'd consider cutting him after 2019, when it's advantageous to do so.   If his playing deteriorates in other areas, I might consider it earlier, but that's not the case at this point.  

I just want to see what kind of cap room we have when we get rid of the other bad contracts and players. Houston should only be removed if we get really stuck in a bad place. We should never give huge money again to anyone outside QB. Build a more solid overall roster with draft picks and moderate free agents. Enough all the eggs in one or two baskets.

Archived