I haven't seen much mentioned about Kareem Hunt and his struggles on the board. Just wanted to get other's thoughts. 

I'm of the belief that offensive playcalling is the main culprit for his lack of production. 

Reasoning:

-Our O-Line hasn't changed drastically when he was playing well. They're basically the same starters but he's recently getting stonewalled at the line regularly.  Maybe the o-line isn't playing as well but there hasn't been anything significant that changed 

-Lack of touches isn't drastic compared to start of season -

ESPN stats based on pure rushing attempts:

17.66 touches first 6 games(FYI: 29 touches vs Houston which could skew figures)

14.5 touches in last 6 games

Which gives me reason to believe alot of his issues are due to lack of productive playcalling on offense.  I'm hoping it's not that Kareem is just an average rb.

He had 4.4 YPC against the Jets but we still didn't run the ball. Offense had some big plays that kept us in the game so the staff might be happy with the performance but we need to get back to running the ball. 

I don't know the source of his touches but looks like he's running less and receiving more lately.

Maybe the coaches were trying to keep Hunt fresh for the playoffs. There isn't another player on the roster that could adequately fill in for Hunt as a starter.

Of course, that plan only works if the Chiefs make the playoffs. Then again, it isn't because Hunt isn't on pace to set a rookie record for yards from scrimmage that is the reason the Chiefs are struggling to win games. This is not a matter of, As Hunt goes, so the Chiefs go. He isn't a three-down back. Hunt was producing yardage as a consequence of his teammates' play, not the other way around.

Maybe the coaches were trying to keep Hunt fresh for the playoffs. There isn't another player on the roster that could adequately fill in for Hunt as a starter.

Of course, that plan only works if the Chiefs make the playoffs. Then again, it isn't because Hunt isn't on pace to set a rookie record for yards from scrimmage that is the reason the Chiefs are struggling to win games. This is not a matter of, As Hunt goes, so the Chiefs go. He isn't a three-down back. Hunt was producing yardage as a consequence of his teammates' play, not the other way around.

Sorta like AS11??

Sorta like AS11??

Alex Smith's ability to distribute the football to quality targets worked great when he had more than two-and-a-half of them (because Albert Wilson hasn't been healthy). As the offensive line goes, so a quarterback goes, and as a quarterback goes, so the running game goes. As the defense goes, so the offensive line goes. And on it goes. It's all interrelated. But anyone that thought that the Chiefs were playing well because of Hunt will not be able to reconcile that opinion with what has happened with this team. Hunt's not injured, he's just got nowhere to go. That's almost exclusively on the offensive line, which cannot pass protect and cannot run block.

Alex Smith's ability to distribute the football to quality targets worked great when he had more than two-and-a-half of them (because Albert Wilson hasn't been healthy). As the offensive line goes, so a quarterback goes, and as a quarterback goes, so the running game goes. As the defense goes, so the offensive line goes. And on it goes. It's all interrelated. But anyone that thought that the Chiefs were playing well because of Hunt will not be able to reconcile that opinion with what has happened with this team. Hunt's not injured, he's just got nowhere to go. That's almost exclusively on the offensive line, which cannot pass protect and cannot run block.

Agree. The oline has sucked..

Does anyone remember a few years back when we started 1-5 and made the playoffs? What changed? We started running the ball and utilizing Sherman and we started winning. It could happen again if we committed to it. With Kielce and Hill those are two amazing PA threats. Over using Hunt is an issue but our style of play is hell on our D and boom or bust for the O. We don't get in a good rhythm and we definitely don't dictate the action. To cute on O and too much read and react on D.

Does anyone remember a few years back when we started 1-5 and made the playoffs? What changed? We started running the ball and utilizing Sherman and we started winning. It could happen again if we committed to it. With Kielce and Hill those are two amazing PA threats. Over using Hunt is an issue but our style of play is hell on our D and boom or bust for the O. We don't get in a good rhythm and we definitely don't dictate the action. To cute on O and too much read and react on D.

You're right.  Sherman is a huge asset and should be used more - I just can't grasp why they are not using more power running formations period.

Hell, whatever happened to Reid's constant screen plays to rbs.  We lived and died by that play when we had J Charles. Just something different than the same drivel week after week.

Try to get some semblance of a running game

Sorta like AS11??

Yep. You can't put average talent around an average QB and expect anything more than average results. And that was fine with the best ball hawking defense in the NFL as we've had every other year of the Reid era. But I'll say this. We have the best tight end in the NFL, a dynamic big play WR and a RB who can make big plays if he gets to second level. IE: Offense should be carrying consistent bigger end of the load and getting Kareem to that second level would help a lot.

I'm probably in the minority, but I think we should run more of the play where we throw it out in the flat to Kelce and he hucks it down the field as far as he can. That was pretty exciting to watch.

I like the one where the fastest player in the league pulls up and throws to a crowd in the end zone better.

Additionally, why aren't we featuring Hunt more in the passing game? His first game he caught a streaking 54 yard catch and run down the middle. The kid has hands and speed.

Plus, they need ti get him ti the edge more instead of only running him right up the gut over and over. For an offensive genius, Reids calls lack creativity

Additionally, why aren't we featuring Hunt more in the passing game? His first game he caught a streaking 54 yard catch and run down the middle. The kid has hands and speed.

Plus, they need ti get him ti the edge more instead of only running him right up the gut over and over. For an offensive genius, Reids calls lack creativity

Yes, get him involved in the passing game if the OL won't open holes. Throw him some designed passing plays. 

I'm disappointed in Reid and his inability to create such plays, for I have not seen shit. He should be catching as many passes as Kamara, for he has the hands, the elusiveness, and the toughness to break free after getting past the line of scrimmage. 

Reid needs to FIND a way to get him the ball going forward. Enough is enough. 

I haven't seen much mentioned about Kareem Hunt and his struggles on the board. Just wanted to get other's thoughts.

I'm of the belief that offensive playcalling is the main culprit for his lack of production.

Reasoning:

-Our O-Line hasn't changed drastically when he was playing well. They're basically the same starters but he's recently getting stonewalled at the line regularly. Maybe the o-line isn't playing as well but there hasn't been anything significant that changed

-Lack of touches isn't drastic compared to start of season -

ESPN stats based on pure rushing attempts:

17.66 touches first 6 games(FYI: 29 touches vs Houston which could skew figures)

14.5 touches in last 6 games

Which gives me reason to believe alot of his issues are due to lack of productive playcalling on offense. I'm hoping it's not that Kareem is just an average rb.

This guy is a stud. His carries are a joke. And the line is not opening holes.

Archived