If the Chiefs win at home against the Raiders, Chargers, and Dolphins, the Chiefs will clinch the AFC West. As bad as they've played lately, this still seems within the realm of possibility.

If that is the case, I seriously want to see Mahomes start on the road against the Broncos in week 17, a game unlikely to change whether the Chiefs get the fourth seed or the third seed. The Chiefs need to know where he is in his development.

We've had the ball in our opponents territory with a chance to win or tie game with a TD each of the last three weeks and have gone 0-3. We need to finish drives in the fourth quarter whether the offense scores 10 or 40. That's the finishing I'm concerned with. It has to start this week against an awful Raiders defense or our season is over.

Chiefs will take it one game at a time.

The Chiefs are broken right now, so it will take their all to beat the Raiders. Smith is going to have one hell of a game. He'll come out gunning like he did against the Jets, and win this game himself without putting pressure on the defense. 

After such a strong win against the Raiders, they'll be looking at their second home game against the Bolts. The Chargers are looking strong. This one will take the effort of the defense to win it late in the 4th. After witnessing what Smith has left to prove, their attitude will be mean and strong enough to reclaim their stance as top dogs in the AFC West. Revis and Peters will take care of the secondary while Houston and Hali and possibly Ford will pressure and sack Rivers. 

The Dolphins will be the final test to claim the division and make the playoffs. Chiefs will be highly confident after back to back wins against their divisional foes, and stomp the dolphins with a big performance from Hunt in the cold, dry winter tundra of KC. 

At this point the only thing going in our favor is the extra motivation that comes playing against a division rival. If the Chiefs win the division Mahomes will likely get the start but I'm not expecting something else if the Chiefs lose it either. 

At this point the only thing going in our favor is the extra motivation that comes playing against a division rival. If the Chiefs win the division Mahomes will likely get the start but I'm not expecting something else if the Chiefs lose it either. 

Unless the Chiefs drop two in a row, I doubt the Chiefs will be eliminated from playoff contention before week 17.

Archived