3rd long situations

We are not very creative in dialing up pressure. I understand the concept of dropping 7 or 8 into coverage, but these are NFL quarterbacks and they'll find somebody if you give them all day to do it. Whether a safety actually gets a sack or not on a blitz, the appearance of pressure hurries quarterbacks and creates urgency and bad decisions. We make pretty comfortable pockets for everyone we play.

That doesn’t solve the checkdown charlie problem on the offense, 3rd down draw plays and 5 yard routes when you need 8

Just as there's a complaint to be made that the Chiefs' offense is stranding their defense on the field, there's a problem with the defense allowing lengthy drives and keeping the opposing defense fresh to fight against the Chiefs' offense. Neither side is complementing the other. Also, there's not a lot of validity to the complaint against the Chiefs' offense's effect on the defense when the Chiefs are allowing lengthy and/or scoring drives from the start of the game.

That doesn’t solve the checkdown charlie problem on the offense, 3rd down draw plays and 5 yard routes when you need 8

Over the last month we are 31st in the NFL at converting third downs. 23rd at getting off the field on third down. That's gonna equal 0-4 almost every time. This is a spot where a veteran coach and QB habd to deliver an answer for this against a bad defense that's now especially depleted.

It’s the conservative game plan on both sides that hurts. Offensively we give up in 3rd and long and defensively we play to keep everything in front and not get beat over the top.

I know it doesn't work this way, even for "normal" teams, but I wish we would always throw "punt distance" on third and down though I can't rely on the offense to tackle if it was intercepted. And when I say always, I don't really mean "always." I mean sometimes the 2 yard pass is not going to do much for field position game. Please don't give me the argument that Smith doesn't want interceptions on his stats. That may be true to a degree (i.e. hail marie's), but I also think that he believes in playing the field position game. I think this is evidenced by his interceptions in the previous two losses before the Bills. Heck, even against the Steelers and Bills, his last throws were to basically no one where it could've been intercepted. So I don't think it is a stats only issue. Plus, I think horizontal passes are more likely to be picked sixed or intercepted closer to their goal.

I know it doesn't work this way, even for "normal" teams, but I wish we would always throw "punt distance" on third and down though I can't rely on the offense to tackle if it was intercepted. And when I say always, I don't really mean "always." I mean sometimes the 2 yard pass is not going to do much for field position game. Please don't give me the argument that Smith doesn't want interceptions on his stats. That may be true to a degree (i.e. hail marie's), but I also think that he believes in playing the field position game. I think this is evidenced by his interceptions in the previous two losses before the Bills. Heck, even against the Steelers and Bills, his last throws were to basically no one where it could've been intercepted. So I don't think it is a stats only issue. Plus, I think horizontal passes are more likely to be picked sixed or intercepted closer to their goal.

Hey I agree. 3rd and 17, why not throw one deep? If it gets picked it’s like a punt. It’s better than gaining five yards and then punting because five yards isn’t playing the field position game.

Archived