4-3 Defense article for Chiefs.

Don't like it. Much prefer the 34. Disagree that ragland would be as good in a 43.

I think Ragland would thrive in the 4-3. Having 2 big bodies earring up the guards and center would allow him to flow more freely in the tackle box. He could still come out in subpackages. But putting 2 speedy LBs next to him like eligwe and KPL would be nice.

I think Ragland would thrive in the 4-3. Having 2 big bodies earring up the guards and center would allow him to flow more freely in the tackle box. He could still come out in subpackages. But putting 2 speedy LBs next to him like eligwe and KPL would be nice.

Can Kpass play olb in a 4-3??  He's 280lbs.

He's too stiff for a 43 mlb. The side to side change of direction is not there and he will only be able to cover in zone because of lack of speed.

That said he's perfect for the 2 down thumper we need inside in the 34 next to a coverage mlb.

If he was going to be a fit in a 43, buffalo would have kept him. I'll trust the pros on this issue.

Whose top say he was traded because of injury? I think the 4-3 thing was an excuse.

Don't go trusting too blindly. Coaches do use coach speak.

He's too stiff for a 43 mlb. The side to side change of direction is not there and he will only be able to cover in zone because of lack of speed.

That said he's perfect for the 2 down thumper we need inside in the 34 next to a coverage mlb.

I don't think he is too stiff. And as a tackle to tackle guy he would be fine.

Reggie Ragland

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=124839&draftyear=2016&genpos=ilb

Vontaze Burfict- a very good 4-3 LB- worse numbers than Reggie

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=89437&draftyear=2012&genpos=ILB

Kiko Alonzo

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=81729&draftyear=2013&genpos=ILB

Donta Hightower

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=83013&draftyear=2012&genpos=ILB

Alex Ogletree- his combine numbers are an exact match to Reggie

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=110968&draftyear=2013&genpos=olb

I'm actually tired of the 3-4. As someone else eluded to it requires a NT instead of just a good set of DTs. You have to find a specific big bodied type of player instead of being able to pick from a much larger crop. I think Kpass fits much better as a 43 DE, and have no doubt Houston can make the transition as he is a great run stopper.

To pigeon-hole Ragland as a 3-4 ILB is shortsighted IMO. He's a good athlete and will still be able to thump in a 4-3. We can get 2 super athletic OLBs to cover a lot of ground even if he can't move laterally as well as I hope he can. And we can't let a schematic change like this be determined by one player that we gave up a 2019 4th rounder for anyway.

I'm actually tired of the 3-4. As someone else eluded to it requires a NT instead of just a good set of DTs. You have to find a specific big bodied type of player instead of being able to pick from a much larger crop. I think Kpass fits much better as a 43 DE, and have no doubt Houston can make the transition as he is a great run stopper.

To pigeon-hole Ragland as a 3-4 ILB is shortsighted IMO. He's a good athlete and will still be able to thump in a 4-3. We can get 2 super athletic OLBs to cover a lot of ground even if he can't move laterally as well as I hope he can. And we can't let a schematic change like this be determined by one player that we gave up a 2019 4th rounder for anyway.

I had mentioned that. Especially if you are trying to go to your subpackages. You have 3-4 DL trying to play in an even front that is more gap penetrating. Something they don't do. If we are a 4-3 it is smoother and might help or pass rush. Especially inside

I had mentioned that. Especially if you are trying to go to your subpackages. You have 3-4 DL trying to play in an even front that is more gap penetrating. Something they don't do. If we are a 4-3 it is smoother and might help or pass rush. Especially inside

We've been on the same page about this for awhile. 4 d-lineman IMO gives you a better chance to stop the run just by numbers and alignment alone. Without stopping the run you never get into the obvious passing situations where your pass rushers make hay. 

Switching to the 4 man front would allow us to release Ford and free up another 8 mill if they so chose. Or they could keep him on and use him strictly as a pass rusher. Bailey could start on the inside if they wanted to do that or they could release him as well and start Nacho at DT.  This would free up another 6 mill in cap space. I realize releasing Ford, Bailey, DJ, Tamba and letting Acker, Gaines, etc ALL go would leave us thin at many positions. But we'd also have a nice chunk of cap space available and more of a blank canvas. This defense needs a complete overhaul anyway.

Kpass would play DE and actually he might be better suited for it. Strong guy that's as athletic as lighter players. However I don't expect Ragland to be as effective. He's still a work in progress but right now he's not alone covering the underneath and that will likely be his role at MLB. Ragland could end up being a very good 4-3 OLB but what wouldn't be enough for the Chiefs to make the transition. KPL could be a nice surprise at 4-3 OLB and Chiefs might be able to make the switch with only a single LB addition and the rest of the youngsters could provide the rotation but as we have seen in DJ example the scheme might end up ruining a player's capabilities. 

Archived