Dee Ford Timetable to return?

Chiefs can get out of Ford's 8.7 million 5th year option if they choose to do so and that seems to be the smart move as that money could be spent on a better OLB in FA. However since the Chiefs picked up the option his 5th it's guaranteed for injury. Does anyone know how that works, is it like the guarantee of Howard's contract or do we not get the option of rescinding our option if he's not fully healthy?

2018...as an opponent.

When speaking with reporters on Monday, Kansas City Chiefs general manager John Dorsey told the media that they've picked up the fifth-year option on outside linebacker Dee Ford.

"This was a no-brainer," Dorsey added.

When speaking with reporters on Monday, Kansas City Chiefs general manager John Dorsey told the media that they've picked up the fifth-year option on outside linebacker Dee Ford.

"This was a no-brainer," Dorsey added.

that rings true, Dorsey has no brains for the extension. 

Chiefs can get out of Ford's 8.7 million 5th year option if they choose to do so and that seems to be the smart move as that money could be spent on a better OLB in FA. However since the Chiefs picked up the option his 5th it's guaranteed for injury. Does anyone know how that works, is it like the guarantee of Howard's contract or do we not get the option of rescinding our option if he's not fully healthy?

Here Ive been assuming you knew what you were talking about regarding Ford and our ability to rescind the tender. Because every post you make comes off as an absolute, and youve said multiple times that we COULD rescind. Not that you THOUGHT we could. Now I look like an ass. That will teach me.

Here Ive been assuming you knew what you were talking about regarding Ford and our ability to rescind the tender. Because every post you make comes off as an absolute, and youve said multiple times that we COULD rescind. Not that you THOUGHT we could. Now I look like an ass. That will teach me.

From Joel Curry at CBSSports.com

"4th year is guaranteed for injury when the option is exercised. The option year becomes fully guaranteed on the first day of the league year in the fifth contract year."

So it does look like he can still be released with no CAP hit. It's certainly rare though.

I don’t dislike Ford. I think he plays hard. Just fast but not very strong. We have seen a lot of him. Situational guy at best. He can generate some pass rush. I think he has some coverage skills, some. Terrible against the run. I would rather let Kpass have snaps and see if he develops into the stud I think he can be. Zombo would be a better all around back up to Kpass. And I think Zombo is subpar.

Archived