Nagy/Andy changed the Oline today?

Agree. On one play Alex was well out of the pocket and could have just chucked the ball out of bounds but took the sack instead. Seems like he does that about once a game. It's incredible - not in a goood way.

When Smith is well out of the pocket, it depends on why he is out of the pocket when evaluating the line (often it is his fault why he's there) and throwing it away doesn't make the offensive line better it just avoids the sack.

A sack is obviously worse for the team, but the pressure would still be there. I will say that Smith isn't the best at pocket presence, gets happy feet, etc. but throwing the ball away helps the team but doesn't make the offensive line better. Stat wise of course it makes him look better if a quarterback throws it away but then again every quarterback throws away helps their lines stats. Quarterback who doesn't throw it away does not help that line as much.

But I also read on here constantly about Smith coming back to his throw it away tendencies. A sack is worse than a throwaway and making a play is better than a throwaway so obviously what is "good" is going the same direction. He's done it, just not consistently. More this year, even outside the first five.

Personally, I very much disagree. Morse is quite good when healthy. He's starting a bad trend of injury unfortunately which deflates his worth greatly.

Agree. He generally grades out on PFF as one of the better centers in the league. But availability is as important as talent. 

When Smith is well out of the pocket, it depends on why he is out of the pocket when evaluating the line (often it is his fault why he's there) and throwing it away doesn't make the offensive line better it just avoids the sack.

A sack is obviously worse for the team, but the pressure would still be there. I will say that Smith isn't the best at pocket presence, gets happy feet, etc. but throwing the ball away helps the team but doesn't make the offensive line better. Stat wise of course it makes him look better if a quarterback throws it away but then again every quarterback throws away helps their lines stats. Quarterback who doesn't throw it away does not help that line as much.

But I also read on here constantly about Smith coming back to his throw it away tendencies. A sack is worse than a throwaway and making a play is better than a throwaway so obviously what is "good" is going the same direction. He's done it, just not consistently. More this year, even outside the first five.

I agree.  My point is that taking the sack - regardless of how the line grades out - puts him at risk of injury, possibly a turnover, generally loses yards and keeps the clock running.  Granted, stopping the clock is only important if time and scoring is of paramount concern.  It's actually one thing Alex does that really gets me heated.  Just throw it away for crying out loud.

Agree. He generally grades out on PFF as one of the better centers in the league. But availability is as important as talent.

Morse has graded out at a 44.9 this year. 29th out of all centers. Hes been terrible. Last year when healthy he graded out very well. So Im gonna chalk a lot of the regression up to injury. But make no mistake about it. He has played lousy football this season. Zero push as a run blocker.

Morse has graded out at a 44.9 this year. 29th out of all centers. Hes been terrible. Last year when healthy he graded out very well. So Im gonna chalk a lot of the regression up to injury. But make no mistake about it. He has played lousy football this season. Zero push as a run blocker.

Without looking at individual game grades I’m thinking this is very deceiving as he clearly hasn’t been healthy since that week 2 injury. Tim Grunhard said he had exact same injury and was not the same player until the next season because of pain level. He’s leader of that oline but no doubt his play right now isn’t the same as we should expect when healthy.

Archived