How long can we keep hold of Nagy?

Jim kelly?! He came out of the same draft. One thing I’ve always wondered. Kelly was chosen in the 83 draft but played two years in the usfl before joining the bills. I also recall Steve young played usfl. Why go there instead of straight to the nfl and the team that drafted you? Any of you older guys know? I was learning how to walk in 83.

USFL  had lots of $$ to throw around ..Trump owned a team if memory serves.

Hershall Walker played in the USFL as well

USFL had lots of $$ to throw around ..Trump owned a team if memory serves.

. Trump owned thr NJ Generals and made H Walker the highest paid player in football history in 1984. . Trump also helped destroy the league in part by spearheading movement to move it to Fall where it quickly folded. Anti Trust lawsuit they won one dollar in was also major issue Trump was behind. Good 30 for 30 about this. Trumps bitterness toward league still evident even as he tried to buy another franchise.

Jim Kelly will tell you he wanted money too, but also wanted to ironically avoid horrible Bills and play in Jack Pardees run and shoot offense with the Houston Gamblers.

Steve Young got this crazy 40 million dollar deal for something like 40 years which he ended up taking a settlement payment for. He got something akin to 4 million dollar signing bonus guarantee which was more than the entire unguarsnteed contract the Bengals could offer.

And of course Carl Peterson got his first GM job with the Philadelphia team which I believe won a title and landed him his gig in KC.

Jim kelly?! He came out of the same draft. One thing I’ve always wondered. Kelly was chosen in the 83 draft but played two years in the usfl before joining the bills. I also recall Steve young played usfl. Why go there instead of straight to the nfl and the team that drafted you? Any of you older guys know? I was learning how to walk in 83.

USFL  had lots of $$ to throw around ..Trump owned a team if memory serves.

The USFL also told Kelly he could pick any team he wanted to play for.  He chose Houston to play in a dome and on turf.  He didn't want to go to Buffalo because of the weather and the coaches.

The Chiefs should've drafted him.  He would've signed with KC.

M. Schottenheimer era looks a helluva lot different had KC just taken Kelly or Marino in 1983. 

The USFL also told Kelly he could pick any team he wanted to play for.  He chose Houston to play in a dome and on turf.  He didn't want to go to Buffalo because of the weather and the coaches.

The Chiefs should've drafted him.  He would've signed with KC.

M. Schottenheimer era looks a helluva lot different had KC just taken Kelly or Marino in 1983. 

but that wasn't Marty & Carl's era.. the chiefs were one giant cluster fuck in 83 with Mackovic..but yea Marty might of been Belichek #1 if he has a HOF QB

• 3 weeks later...

His name was mentioned as the number one HC prospect for next season on 'Good Morning Football' today. Honestly yall, I think we're in serious danger of losing this guy unless he's happy in KC and is prepared to wait another year. The jobs that are gonna be up for grabs appear to be Colts, Giants, Cinci and maybe Zona and Chicago might be in the mix too. Not sure he'd turn any of them down tbh.

His name was mentioned as the number one HC prospect for next season on 'Good Morning Football' today. Honestly yall, I think we're in serious danger of losing this guy unless he's happy in KC and is prepared to wait another year. The jobs that are gonna be up for grabs appear to be Colts, Giants, Cinci and maybe Zona and Chicago might be in the mix too. Not sure he'd turn any of them down tbh.

Eric Bienemy.

Really? I'm a bit surprised with that. He's never built an offense by himself. But KC now has former front office guys in Indy and Cleveland. And he has been with Andy quite a while. I guess teams may think they can duplicate what the iggles did.

I think Naggy is safe. Chilly would be a more accomplished target. I think Chilly could step in and call plays. He is pretty involved I suspect.

I seriously doubt Naggy leaves after only half a season calling plays with Mahomes, Hill, Kelce and Hunt at his finger tips.

I too have heard Nagy's name mentioned as HC material beyond just the game the other day.  In fact, I was listening to the Ringer NFL podcast and while I don't think they mentioned Nagy, they talked about how there might be a lot of openings and not a lot of candidates.  So it wouldn't surprise me if Nagy is a candidate for those reasons---it's a candidate's market, so to speak.

Different topic, even if Reid is part of someone else's "coaching tree" it's totally fair to refer to his own tree.  Coaching trees in the NFL are strongly intertwined and overlap as it is.

Archived