LJ may have CTE

There are people all over the world that deal with ghat stuff on a daily basis that don’t have cte. I get that blaming it is the fashionable thing to do these days, but come on now. The prevailing thinking was that this stuff didn’t show up until later, then after thug murderer died football is the devil, and no one is responsible for their actions. He had plenty of activities outside of football that could have contributed. Also, last I read there were still questions in terms of genetics. Why aren’t we hearing about college players who never made the nfl? Or boxers? MMA fighters? Rugby? Shit, if I could be fifteen years younger, and someone offered me a chance to play pro ball and said there’s a 50/50 shot I get cte, I still do it without hesitation.

I’m not denying the existence of cte. I do know it’s not widely understood and there’s no data on the role genetics plays as well as a host of other environmental factors. It’s being painted as if football is the only cause and that if you play football you’re going to get it. A lot of assumptions based on very little evidence.

Those of you that know me from the other board know I was very fond of lj, so this isn’t something I take lightly.

Let me ask you all this. Let me preface by saying I have clinical obsessive compulsive disorder that I’ve dealt with since grade school. I live daily with the conditions he described and I don’t have cte. Can we agree that it’s possible that the man has nothing to occupy him since no more football, so the idle mind causes problems? I know it does for me. I’m not saying it is or isn’t in his case but isn’t that at least plausible rather than jumping straight into cte?

There are people all over the world that deal with ghat stuff on a daily basis that don’t have cte. I get that blaming it is the fashionable thing to do these days, but come on now. The prevailing thinking was that this stuff didn’t show up until later, then after thug murderer died football is the devil, and no one is responsible for their actions. He had plenty of activities outside of football that could have contributed. Also, last I read there were still questions in terms of genetics. Why aren’t we hearing about college players who never made the nfl? Or boxers? MMA fighters? Rugby? Shit, if I could be fifteen years younger, and someone offered me a chance to play pro ball and said there’s a 50/50 shot I get cte, I still do it without hesitation.

I’m not denying the existence of cte. I do know it’s not widely understood and there’s no data on the role genetics plays as well as a host of other environmental factors. It’s being painted as if football is the only cause and that if you play football you’re going to get it. A lot of assumptions based on very little evidence.

Those of you that know me from the other board know I was very fond of lj, so this isn’t something I take lightly.

Let me ask you all this. Let me preface by saying I have clinical obsessive compulsive disorder that I’ve dealt with since grade school. I live daily with the conditions he described and I don’t have cte. Can we agree that it’s possible that the man has nothing to occupy him since no more football, so the idle mind causes problems? I know it does for me. I’m not saying it is or isn’t in his case but isn’t that at least plausible rather than jumping straight into cte?

Great points, moon. Agree with everything you.

College players are absolutely getting involved. In fact for KU fullback Chris Powell sued the university and NCAA over their handling of his multiple concussions. I think there’s gotta be a ton of boxers in a similiar position but much like MMA it’s not a sport played by many people and doesn’t get the attention. Rugby is a good example of a sport where less pads seems to equal fewer concussion issues.

CTE is very real and it 100 percent has already impact kids playing st the youth level. But league isn’t responsible for CTE, only making sure they treat concussions with the seriousness and consistency they should. If you play, you know the risks at this point.

I started playing football at age 8, so by the time I was a senior in highschool I had 10 years of full contact football and the concussions that come with being a down hill read thumping mlb. In high school my family practice Dr told me I need to stop playing or I was going to run the risk of becoming punch drunk like Muhammad ali. I dropped out of college twice, but continued to play semi pro (weekend warrior) leagues till probably 5 years ago. Today I am age 36. I have fought up n down bouts with depression, memory loss, and sometimes when I speak the words come out all jumbled. If you talk to nfl players most will say that they will not let their kids play full contact till highschool, so by the time they get to the league they are still under 10 years. I believe there are 2 main issues surrounding this disease. First is that helmets as we know them are weapons. Visics finally started addressing this issue with their flexible shell helmet that came out this year.. the better we can protect the head, while at the same time lessening the potential for using the helmet as a weapon the better off this game will be.. secondly medical marijuana is a huge issue that these athletes should be able to take advantage of. There was an episode of weedicate on Vineland called gridiron Ganga. I recommend it as it shows the fight former players are going thru with the league to make this medicine available to our players who need it most. One of the most common effects of this disease is early dementia. Thc not only helps speed up the healing process, but also help protect from some of these head injuries. The nfl won't step up n do the right thing for these players, yet has alcohol as a sponsor. They don't truly care about these injuries much like they don't care about the injuries caused by turf. Right now it's more cost effective to keep things how they are... sad really.

He definitely had Cronic Dumbass Disease. He seems to have taken responsibility for it and sounds like a different guy. It is sad for anyone to suffer brain injury. I am not ready to say it excuses slapping women around, but I can’t condemn the guy forever either.

I wish him the best.

Archived