The Alex Smith Wins Thread

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alex Smith will have his best year statically when the season is over. I hadn't been looking at his stats lately and noticed he's close to 4000 yards (3738) and has passed his TD total also.

Hoping this adds up to the Bills giving us a day two pick for him. Then again Alex was so bad against them that rumor seems far fetched.

His play down the stretch could be super beneficial to both parties. I think we easily get a 2nd rounder as of now and that will be all it takes. We will be dumping a ton of contracts and surrounding Mahomes with at least another stud guard and we/te threat. The rest of the draft/FA will be to improve the D. Next year is the push year and that still gives us 1-2 years of an above avg Houston/Berry to make 2 strong SB runs. If they can surround Mahomes well enough next year and commit to the run we will make a run next year as well. It's going to be an exciting offseason for sure and Veach seems like a mover and shaker. And the best part is we can make a run this year if we keep up the way we are playing. Good times!

Alex is an athlete playing QB, he’s not natural like Mahomes.

We’re all ready for Mahomes and Mahomes is just as ready. Even if the Chiefs win the superbowl I would rather see Mahomes start next year.

I’ve seen more Mahomes jerseys than Smith jerseys. The Chiefs would then make more money starting Mahomes next season. So therefore I think I answered my own curiosity if Smith has a chance of being a Chief next year

Agree with this. He’s doesnt have good pocket instincts and has an average arm. But he’s a good athlete that’s tough and a leader. A better version of Tyrod Taylor that’s surrounded by more talent.

Agree with this. He’s doesnt have good pocket instincts and has an average arm. But he’s a good athlete that’s tough and a leader. A better version of Tyrod Taylor that’s surrounded by more talent.

I agree with basically everything he said except for Smith is a quarterback playing quarterback. He might not be the best quarterback, but he's not an athlete playing quarterback. He's not a runningback playing quarterback or anything else playing quarterback besides QB.

He’s a winner. I want winners. Mahomes hasn’t proven anything yet.

He’s won 2 playoff games in 13 seasons and one of those the defense pitched a shutout. I’ll tell you right now had we not blown home field with a pathetic offensive performance last year, we may never have had guts to go with Mahomes.

Alex Smith is going to take this team to the AFC Championship game this year... and maybe more?

iMahomes has clearly impacted Alex’s ability to take more good risks. Maybe this makes a difference and we can actually make a run with him for the first time in 5 years. We defitneky have offensive playmakers to do it. Unfortunately history tells us it’s more likely a dud is coming at a bad time. But that’s why you play the games. He can quite all the doubters and finish his career here strong.

If this offensive line can continue to pave ways for Hunt and Nagy can continue to dial up simple runs then this will inivedibaly take pressure off Smith. A RB in Hunt who doesn't turn the ball over combined with a QB in Smith who doesn't turn it over spells dangerous team in the playoffs. Hunt never fumbled in college. Fumbled only once this year on the first play of the season. As much as we love his big play numbers Hunt's impeccable ball security is not complimented on enough.

He’s won 2 playoff games in 13 seasons and one of those the defense pitched a shutout. I’ll tell you right now had we not blown home field with a pathetic offensive performance last year, we may never have had guts to go with Mahomes.

And in one of those his defense gave up 45 points in just over 22 minutes. There's definitely two sides to that coin. You simply refuse to look at the other.

If this offensive line can continue to pave ways for Hunt and Nagy can continue to dial up simple runs then this will inivedibaly take pressure off Smith. A RB in Hunt who doesn't turn the ball over combined with a QB in Smith who doesn't turn it over spells dangerous team in the playoffs. Hunt never fumbled in college. Fumbled only once this year on the first play of the season. As much as we love his big play numbers Hunt's impeccable ball security is not complimented on enough.

I had that discussion with my dad on Saturday. I'd trade away the healthy version of Jamaal Charles for Kareem Hunt in a heartbeat. What's the benefit of having a runningback who can hit home runs when he can also single-handedly lose you games with ill-timed fumbles?

And in one of those his defense gave up 45 points in just over 22 minutes. There's definitely two sides to that coin. You simply refuse to look at the other.

One thing to keep in mind is that the offense had an averaging starting point of opposition field for almost 3 quarters. The average position might be the NFL record and defense was just as influential, if not more, in the great offensive performance. It was an entire team effort to put up a big lead and yet another team effort to lose that 28-point lead. Defense couldn't stop in prevent mode as they have never been able to do and offense just gave up the ball with less than a minute off the clock. Chiefs could get the same second half production from Thigpen or Cassel, that's how bad we caved in. 

One thing to keep in mind is that the offense had an averaging starting point of opposition field for almost 3 quarters. The average position might be the NFL record and defense was just as influential, if not more, in the great offensive performance. It was an entire team effort to put up a big lead and yet another team effort to lose that 28-point lead. Defense couldn't stop in prevent mode as they have never been able to do and offense just gave up the ball with less than a minute off the clock. Chiefs could get the same second half production from Thigpen or Cassel, that's how bad we caved in. 

The Chiefs were also missing Jamaal Charles and Donnie Avery by the time the Chiefs got to the second half. With ten minutes to play, Smith also lost the help of his back-up runningback, which really hurt their effort to salt away the game. The offensive drop-off wasn't on Smith. Let's be clear there. By the end of that game, Smith was throwing passes to players he had hardly practiced with. It's true that the offense had good starting position, but you could hardly consider the defense's collapse to be redeemed by their earlier performance.

(In case you're wondering, RB3 Cyrus Gray finished his NFL career with 35 touches.)

The Chiefs were also missing Jamaal Charles and Donnie Avery by the time the Chiefs got to the second half. With ten minutes to play, Smith also lost the help of his back-up runningback, which really hurt their effort to salt away the game. The offensive drop-off wasn't on Smith. Let's be clear there. By the end of that game, Smith was throwing passes to players he had hardly practiced with. It's true that the offense had good starting position, but you could hardly consider the defense's collapse to be redeemed by their earlier performance.

(In case you're wondering, RB3 Cyrus Gray finished his NFL career with 35 touches.)

Exactly the meltdown was on the entire team just like the first half performance. If the offense wasn't able to capitalize on the starting position the defense wouldn't have so much ease picking up Luck time after time. Defense came up with a great fumble on that Berry hit yet the opposing QB was the one that picked it up for a TD, that's how bad we lost focus. Not sure if I've seen a QB come up with the fumble pickup and score a TD as easy as that one. 

We lost both RBs that day but the receivers were fine besides Avery and they have been successful with a more diversified playcalling early in the game but Chiefs starting dumping the ball in the second half and guys like DMC became useless and Bowe just kept running on the sidelines against a small secondary. Also I never understood why DMC wasn't used in the backfield. He had past experience and success there. Instead Gray got 2-3 touches and did nothing but block. 

I spent 2 years defending Alex because of that game alone where he was fantastic. He also played great when SF beat New Orleans. But then he barely completes 50 percent of his passes in losses at home to NY and Pitt and his YPA in his last three playoff losses was putrid.

Point also is that if you want to call him a winner but ignore production in the regular season that’s fine. But this applies to postseason too where his conservative nature, pocket presence and limited arm has hurt him. The guy is a very solid QB. You can win win him agsidnt any team st any time. But his issues also limit his coaches and have caused both of his last two (both very good coaches) to go looking elsewhere for a reason. I wish him the best. Tremendous human being and a great representative for any team. I ran into Pat Mahomes family in Lot M at the game on Saturday and asked how Alex had been with Pat. They said he’d been an outstanding mentor and influence. You could tell they meant it. Just shows Alex is a class act. I’d like to see him go out here on s good note. I’ll just leave it st that.

I spent 2 years defending Alex because of that game alone where he was fantastic. He also played great when SF beat New Orleans. But then he barely completes 50 percent of his passes in losses at home to NY and Pitt and his YPA in his last three playoff losses was putrid.

Point also is that if you want to call him a winner but ignore production in the regular season that’s fine. But this applies to postseason too where his conservative nature, pocket presence and limited arm has hurt him. The guy is a very solid QB. You can win win him agsidnt any team st any time. But his issues also limit his coaches and have caused both of his last two (both very good coaches) to go looking elsewhere for a reason. I wish him the best. Tremendous human being and a great representative for any team. I ran into Pat Mahomes family in Lot M at the game on Saturday and asked how Alex had been with Pat. They said he’d been an outstanding mentor and influence. You could tell they meant it. Just shows Alex is a class act. I’d like to see him go out here on s good note. I’ll just leave it st that.

Huh? Which NFL coach lost his job for playing Alex? And you are going to define Smith's season by his game against the Giants? Why not define Tom Brady's year by his game in Miami?

Huh? Which NFL coach lost his job for playing Alex? And you are going to define Smith's season by his game against the Giants? Why not define Tom Brady's year by his game in Miami?

Brady hasn't been sharp this past month. All you have to do is pressure him which will frustrate him. We beat them once already.

Brady hasn't been sharp this past month. All you have to do is pressure him which will frustrate him. We beat them once already.

Yeah, that's what I don't get. I can't imagine Chiefs fans arguing over whether or not Mahomes should start if the Chiefs could get Brady on a one-year rental. I'm not arguing about Smith being equal to Brady (I have to say this specifically solely for the reason that my detractors will derail this thread otherwise), but in terms of the 2017 season, how much different are these quarterbacks from each other, really?

Yeah, that's what I don't get. I can't imagine Chiefs fans arguing over whether or not Mahomes should start if the Chiefs could get Brady on a one-year rental. I'm not arguing about Smith being equal to Brady (I have to say this specifically solely for the reason that my detractors will derail this thread otherwise), but in terms of the 2017 season, how much different are these quarterbacks from each other, really?

QB rating 1 and 2. There's not much you can say but Smith outplayed Brady in the season opener. If Kareem Hunt can continue to ball out ( I'm sure he can against NEs run D) then Smith can play spoiler once again. I know I'm getting ahead of myself but this Chiefs team is getting hot at the right time... vice versa of Pitt and NE.

QB rating 1 and 2. There's not much you can say but Smith outplayed Brady in the season opener. If Kareem Hunt can continue to ball out ( I'm sure he can against NEs run D) then Smith can play spoiler once again. I know I'm getting ahead of myself but this Chiefs team is getting hot at the right time... vice versa of Pitt and NE.

But how would you answer my question concerning starting Mahomes in 2018 if the Chiefs could rent Tom Brady for one year? (Assuming he was acquired in free agency at market value.)

But how would you answer my question concerning starting Mahomes in 2018 if the Chiefs could rent Tom Brady for one year? (Assuming he was acquired in free agency at market value.)

I'm not worried about next season. Tamba Hali said it right with this one...."I want it all." Let's take care of the Phins and play underdog Smith football which he relishes upon.

Archived