Has Sutton saved himself?

I made a point of this In the Chargers prediction thread, and it still remains true now after the game. Here is a list of the points we have allowed over the last NINE games now.

Pitts= 19

Oak= 31

Den= 19

Boys= 28

Giants= 12

Bills= 16

Jets= 38

Oak= 15

LA= 13

And it's also worth noting that two of those Pitt points was a safety, so in reality, it was 17 points that Pitt earned themselves. But yeah so in six of the last nine games we've conceded less than twenty points. It's quite remarkable when you think about it. So what is this down to? Sutton's schemes or just the likes of Rangland/KPL stepping up with Jones and Houston doing well too? And do these numbers put to bed the notion that Sutton should be fired at the end of the season? 

I actually think much will depend on the playoffs If/when we make it.We have a major stinker like we did at the Jets which costs us a game, then he will be under serious pressure imo. But if this spell continues, then it's hard to see them changing it tbh.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sutton was never in danger.

Dude he is out of contract. That kind of puts a persons job in question. I know you arent super high on Reid right now but you seem to be going too far with it.

Now everytime playcalling falters you say its because Reid has taken back the car keys. Now every problem with roster construction is his too because Dorsey never had any say.

Pretty soon you will start to blame the raise in parking prices on Reid because Mark Donavan isnt really calling the shots as team president. Or say that the Hunt suite at the stadium is really only still there because Reid allows them to rent it from him on game days.

Reid giving up playcalling was a big step in him acknowledging flaws in his own decision making and we have looked like a much better team since. Its not out of the question that they will analyze the team this off-season and decide that there is a better fit here at DC. Of course I'm sure you think Brett Veach also just sits in the corner and raises his hand when he wants to talk.

Clark ultimately signs the contracts and if we had missed the playoffs then Sutton would have been the most logical scapegoat. I do think the resurgence of late has helped his cause. I wonder why it took so long to realize a team built to play press man would struggle in zone and with no pressure being applied by the front 7. However as much as I don't like his scheme he's a pretty good coach. I just think it's time for an upgrade. Hope he retires

Dude he is out of contract. That kind of puts a persons job in question. I know you arent super high on Reid right now but you seem to be going too far with it.

Now everytime playcalling falters you say its because Reid has taken back the car keys. Now every problem with roster construction is his too because Dorsey never had any say.

Pretty soon you will start to blame the raise in parking prices on Reid because Mark Donavan isnt really calling the shots as team president. Or say that the Hunt suite at the stadium is really only still there because Reid allows them to rent it from him on game days.

Reid giving up playcalling was a big step in him acknowledging flaws in his own decision making and we have looked like a much better team since. Its not out of the question that they will analyze the team this off-season and decide that there is a better fit here at DC. Of course I'm sure you think Brett Veach also just sits in the corner and raises his hand when he wants to talk.

Just no. Sutton was never in danger because he’s done a fine job. The only way he’s not here next year is if he chooses not to be. He’ll either retire or sign another contract.

End of contract and we aren't at least a 15th ranked defense, it's time to go. No excuse in my mind. Status quo gets us nowhere. We lost games to bad teams in an ugly way...that can't be tolerated.

This team has had more bad offensive games than defensive games. Opponent ppg in our losses is 24. This team is 1-4 in games where the opponent scored less than 20 points. Our losses to bad teams were offensive no shows to buffalo and the giants. The jets were the only truly bad performance by the defense.

I really think  a lot depends on the defensive performance for the next few games but if  things fall apart defensively I believe that Sutton will be the sacrificial lamb. I'm not sure the fans would stand for the likes of Emmitt Thomas being let go and not Sutton 

I really think a lot depends on the defensive performance for the next few games but if things fall apart defensively I believe that Sutton will be the sacrificial lamb. I'm not sure the fans would stand for the likes of Emmitt Thomas being let go and not Sutton

Given the state of the talent on defense, why does anyone have to be a sacrificial lamb? Coming into this season relying on Hali an DJ, well everyone knew there were problems on the horizon. That’s why we ended up grabbing a KPL, making a late trade for Ragland and picked up Revis mid season. The defensive roster was mismanaged coming into this season and I think Sutton has done a decent job considering.

Why do any coaches need replaced? I’m good with the staff we have, especially if Nagy keeps calling plays. The roster is what needs attention. Keep the band together and upgrade talent in the offseason.

Given the state of the talent on defense, why does anyone have to be a sacrificial lamb? Coming into this season relying on Hali an DJ, well everyone knew there were problems on the horizon. That’s why we ended up grabbing a KPL, making a late trade for Ragland and picked up Revis mid season. The defensive roster was mismanaged coming into this season and I think Sutton has done a decent job considering.

Why do any coaches need replaced? I’m good with the staff we have, especially if Nagy keeps calling plays. The roster is what needs attention. Keep the band together and upgrade talent in the offseason.

That doesn't sound bad, though I'm not totally sure about it.

Actually Houston has rushed more than 75% of snaps. My biggest problem wasn’t the way they used Houston, it was all the 2 linemen looks. I see less of that now and think that helps Jones get less double teams.

That whole first quarter he was in coverage. There is no way he rushed 75%of the tune like you claim. You can't just throw numbers out there like that

End of contract and we aren't at least a 15th ranked defense, it's time to go. No excuse in my mind. Status quo gets us nowhere. We lost games to bad teams in an ugly way...that can't be tolerated.

I’d have to fact check this but I believe in Sutton’s tenure we are the top scoring defense in the AFC ans hsve crested the most turnovers.

This team has had more bad offensive games than defensive games. Opponent ppg in our losses is 24. This team is 1-4 in games where the opponent scored less than 20 points. Our losses to bad teams were offensive no shows to buffalo and the giants. The jets were the only truly bad performance by the defense.

True, but Andy had given up play calling since then. He made a change. Our D has been better the last two games, but other than that our d has been awful to watch. Color me skeptical

You don't get anywhere in life by standing still. Marvin Lewis is set to leave Cinci, a man who has proven he can coach a world class defense. Sutton, on the other hand, appears to be a week to week guy. One week we're Ok, the next he makes mistakes. 

You don't get anywhere in life by standing still. Marvin Lewis is set to leave Cinci, a man who has proven he can coach a world class defense, Sutton, on the other hand, appears to be a week to week guy. One week we're Ok, the next he makes mistakes.

Marvin Lewis isn’t going to be a dc next year. If he’s not a head coach next year I’d bet money that he’s working for cbs or the nfl network. Guys don’t spend fifteen years as the guy then go back to being an assistant

Marvin Lewis isn’t going to be a dc next year. If he’s not a head coach next year I’d bet money that he’s working for cbs or the nfl network. Guys don’t spend fifteen years as the guy then go back to being an assistant

Exactly.

Unless I'm just missing it, the amount of years he signed for originally was never made public. What's to say they haven't extended him

I said a few weeks ago i don't think he goes anywhere. His 4 years prior to this the D was in the top 7 of ppg allowed. Berry goes down, DJ is past his prime and Hali is completely done.

Those are some the reasons that would get used for the dropoff.

I think they should move on i just don't Andy will.

Archived