Has Sutton saved himself?

A lot of folks were moaning about the defense after yesterdays game. But again, here are the stats from the last TEN games...

Pitts= 19

Oak= 31

Den= 19

Boys= 28

Giants= 12

Bills= 16

Jets= 38

Oak= 15

LA= 13

Miami= 13

So in the last ten games we've kept our opponents under twenty points SEVEN times, including five games where they were sixteen and under. Now don't get me wrong, we clearly need some new personnel in the defense next season. But my word, that is an impressive run, isn't it? So, has Sutton saved himself or not?

Look at the list of teams we kept under 20, only the recent charger game and Pitt game is anything to bring up. The other teams are and were lousy teams. Our offense failed us at those times as well, but those numbers aren't worth bragging about. I'm still not a Sutton fan

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look at the list of teams we kept under 20, only the recent charger game and Pitt game is anything to bring up. The other teams are and were lousy teams. Our offense failed us at those times as well, but those numbers aren't worth bragging about. I'm still not a Sutton fan

You can say they aren't worth bragging about, but what those stats show us is consistency. The NFL is not a Micky Mouse league, teams play hard. So to keep seven teams below twenty points in a ten game run is impressive imo.

I understand what you are saying, but is there anything about our defense that stands out or instills confidence in you when actually watching them play each week? My eyes don't see it at all. Every time they are on the field it's an "oh shit" feeling and rarely do I have confidence they are going to make a stop. We need some youth for sure, but bend and don't break as well as prevent schemes say new blood is needed as a DC still, despite better play the last couple of games.

I understand what you are saying, but is there anything about our defense that stands out or instills confidence in you when actually watching them play each week? My eyes don't see it at all. Every time they are on the field it's an "oh shit" feeling and rarely do I have confidence they are going to make a stop. We need some youth for sure, but bend and don't break as well as prevent schemes say new blood is needed as a DC still, despite better play the last couple of games.

It’s the same thing with the offense. This team is wildly inconsistent. When one unit shows up the other is mia. There is going to be quite a bit of turnover on this roster over the next two years in an effort to correct that.

I'm on the fence with Sutton. I think there is an issue with both scheme and personnel. Why was Tamba even on the roster this year? I was rooting for DJ but the guy is not the same playmaker he was a few years ago. Age and injuries have caught up to him. Especially in pass coverage. Bennie Logan is mediocre IMO. Dee Ford? Who knows whether he can return and be effective...which was spotty when he was playing. A solid corner opposite Peters is a must. I'm not a fan of bend but don't break defenses. We are one of the worst teams when it comes to quarterback pressure and sacks in the league. Our run defense has been a sieve for years...and yet, until this year, Sutton had always fielded a top ten scoring defense (past 4 years).

I can see arguments on both sides. But gotta wonder...when Berry comes back, with the progression of Ragland and maybe a couple of young guys like Elegwe and Kpass and a pick up here or there if the defense might not look a whole lot different next year?

We are giving up only 16 PPG at home without Eric Berry plus Dee Ford and Tamba have added next to nothing. Chargers came in averaging 33 PPG over their last 6 games and Steelers are clearly legit. Sutton has been much better than people think. That said, I want new blood here.

Archived