What is Alex Smith Worth?

I’m not here to debate if AS11 will be in KC next season. We have 50 other threads for that. Assuming that Alex is gone after this year, what do you all think fair trade value is for him? We’ve seen that there are already a good number of QB needy teams, and IMO 2018’s QB class isn’t nearly as impressive as it looked a year ago. Add to that the potential retirements of E. Manning, Roethlesberger, Rivers, and Palmer. You can also argue that Alex is a much improved QB compared to the one that the Chiefs gave up TWO 2nd round picks for five seasons ago.

I’m just curious as to what I should be expecting to see. We are already a 1st rd pick down and will be needing to replace several key players (Hali, DJ, Ford, Revis, etc) and draft picks will be important as we are cap strapped...

He is worth a low first or high second for a team that is on the verge. Trouble is everyone knows we can’t afford him. I think that drops him to a 3rd or 4th at best.

Jax or Denver with a good D would be ideal. We won’t trade him to Denver.

Maybe a team like Philly or Houston that may have to wait on their starter to get healthy next year? You got to figure he has only 2 years left, but has had more yards every year so he is not going downhill yet.

He is worth a low first or high second for a team that is on the verge. Trouble is everyone knows we can’t afford him. I think that drops him to a 3rd or 4th at best.

Jax or Denver with a good D would be ideal. We won’t trade him to Denver.

Maybe a team like Philly or Houston that may have to wait on their starter to get healthy next year? You got to figure he has only 2 years left, but has had more yards every year so he is not going downhill yet.

No reason to think 2 years left?  Too early to tell about value. Not sure what are teams are thinking. Maybe a third in 2018 and a pick in 2019.

If he continues to play well in these last games he has with us then I can see a number of teams coming after him. Jaggs, Zona, Jets, Miami and The Bills will all most likely be looking for a QB. I'd add in the Browns and NY but they appear to be more inclined to go for one in the draft. Denver would also be an option but unless they are prepared to offer us a first rounder, I can't see us doing business with them. As for what he's worth, if more than three teams come in for him then we should be looking for no less than two picks at least. A 2nd and a 3rd or 4th would be nice. 

I think if we can get teams to bid against each other for trade offers we could see a 2nd round pick and maybe a future pick the following year. We can afford him, though it will hurt us to keep him and not go after other pieces via FA and resigning our own. I like what we have done in Ragland, Butker, Erving etc for setting us up nicely, even Pierre Louis too. Now to go out and get the needed 2nd TE, ilb, pass rusher in FA and the draft. A team wanting to get Smith knows they would have to trade or likely have him hit the open market if we cut him and risk losing him. I think this leaves us in a good position because of the needy teams out there.

Alex isn't Ben or Brady, but he's not a bottom 15 QB either. We could do much worse, as well as half the other teams in the league. I really wish Nagy called plays all year because it seems we are seeing a better Alex due to a balanced pl attacked.

His worth is hard to determine. Do bad teams invest in a young qb to groom or bring in a veteran? Jax and browns I think could fit because Jax is close and he's a step up from bortles. Browns can invest a 1st in a young QB and sit him 2 years while giving a 3rd with all their extras. Kid can learn while Smith can actually win some and bring a fan base back in the meantime.

Giants are too far away so I'd go young. Jets id go young and keep what they have over smith. He doesn't fit Arizona scheme. Bengals are a crap shoot, Denver would be a good fit, but we don't trade with a division rival. I don't see him thriving in cold weather like buffalo or

Chicago.

Chiefs can’t afford to keep him. Any team that might be interested will just wait until he’s cut and negotiate with him. The chiefs have no leverage.

Precisely. Why would any team trade for Alex when they know our cap situation? Alex might be the greatest QB to be released in the history of the NFL.

I'm not asking whether he could get this. I'm just asking what is the value of what we gave up for him? If we were able to get a first round pick, how high would that pick be?

In other words, what is the value of the 33rd pick plus the pick we gave up in the next year? If we are dealing with a first round pick.

Let's put this myth to rest. KC has enough leverage to bluff teams into thinking we could keep Smith.

Cutting DJ and Hali alone would take us from 6 mil over to nearly 10 mil under the projected cap, even with Smith's salary. And that's just 2 fairly obvious moves.

Trade Smith and that puts us nearly 27 mil under the cap with 3 moves.

Restructuring Houston would be another easy one if thet want.

As far as compensation, i would think a third rd pick in 2018 and 2019.

Chiefs can’t afford to keep him. Any team that might be interested will just wait until he’s cut and negotiate with him. The chiefs have no leverage.

Completely untrue. His salary is like 16th or 17th highest among all qbs in 2018.

I doubt he nets a first round pick, but imo a 2nd and or a 3rd and 4th combo is not unrealistic at all.

Precisely. Why would any team trade for Alex when they know our cap situation? Alex might be the greatest QB to be released in the history of the NFL.

Our cap space has nothing to do with Alex Smith's trade value.

And fyi, the Colts cut Peyton Manning in 2012.

Completely untrue. His salary is like 16th or 17th highest among all qbs in 2018.

I doubt he nets a first round pick, but imo a 2nd and or a 3rd and 4th combo is not unrealistic at all.

The chiefs aren’t going to pay that much money to a guy and have him not play. It’s nothing to do with salary cap. When smith signed that contract there was never any intention of paying that 2018 salary.

The chiefs aren’t going to pay that much money to a guy and have him not play. It’s nothing to do with salary cap. When smith signed that contract there was never any intention of paying that 2018 salary.

No team in their right mind would pay Alex 20 million next season unless they literally have to get over the CAP penalty limit. Still I think we are gonna get some kind of day two pick even with very limited leverage.

I think the chiefs are in a solid position. Except for OUR desire to see mahommes, they are under no pressure to put the kid in if they don't want to. We may not like it, but Smith isn't a horrible QB and as far as salary goes, he's not breaking the bank compared to other QB. Plus, it may be if they don't get a good initial offer that they wait until the trade deadline after somebody gets injured. No need to be desperate...NFL is a business thus if he keeps playing like the last two weeks then we will be negotiating from a position of strength.

T he leverage the Chiefs have come from several teams needing a QB.  If more than one has their sights set on Smith, they can't wait for him to be released.  What cuts his value is the money due for 2018.  That's a lot of cap space unless the acquiring team has a low payroll or expects Smith to be there for an extended time.  I'd be happy if the Chiefs got a second unless the pick was a low second like JAX or BUFF.  Two thirds is more realistic.

It depends. For the fact that Smith will negotiate a new contract as part of the trade and won't accept going to a rebuilding team again, it seems unlikely that Smith fetches a high value for trade. He might get released outright. It really depends on how desperate the good teams lacking good or durable quarterbacks come to be. The Jaguars and Vikings come to mind as possible destinations.

QB are always expensive. I read an article that said qb average 13-16% of the salary cap on average. There's no reason to complain about qb pay, it's inevitable for a good qb. The only time you get a true deal is if you hit it out of the park in the draft on a rookie contact. Or you're married to a super model and can leave money on the table like brady. So the argument of Alex is too expensive is pretty much a waste of time. That chunk of cap space will always be used if you have a good qb...and Alex is good, not great. Mahommes will buy us a couple of years, but if he's good, he will take up 15% as well...just the system at work

At best a fifth round pick. If roles were reversed, the people advocating a 2nd or 3rd round pick wouldn’t be willing to give that to bring smith here. He fetched a 2nd round pick 4 or 5 years ago when he was that much younger. No way does he hold that same value now. That’s like buying a used car and driving it for five years then trying to sell it for what you paid for it even though it was a Kia

At best a fifth round pick. If roles were reversed, the people advocating a 2nd or 3rd round pick wouldn’t be willing to give that to bring smith here. He fetched a 2nd round pick 4 or 5 years ago when he was that much younger. No way does he hold that same value now. That’s like buying a used car and driving it for five years then trying to sell it for what you paid for it even though it was a Kia

Two seconds actually. And he’s more proven now. But again your right everyone knows we will cut him so it’s got to be a team loaded with CAP space, has extra draft picks and likely in a scenario where they also have a young QB. We need everything to come together perfectly to get a day two pick. But it’s possible.

Archived