What is Alex Smith Worth?

Two seconds actually. And he’s more proven now. But again your right everyone knows we will cut him so it’s got to be a team loaded with CAP space, has extra draft picks and likely in a scenario where they also have a young QB. We need everything to come together perfectly to get a day two pick. But it’s possible.

More proven but has more miles and left in the tank. A gm would be out of his mind to sacrifice a 2nd round pick for a one year stop gap. Also, it’s smiths legs that give him that big factor, and as he ages that’s gonna go away too.

Why wouldn't we have any leverage?   We don't have any players that we have to resign and just getting Berry back will be a huge boost to an already successful team.  We also will be getting Conley, Ware, Ehinger and Ford back  Cutting Hali, DJ, Colquitt will provide enough room to sign a good FA and get our draft picks (which there won't be many) signed.  It only takes two teams that want him to offer us something worth taking.   Obviously we can upgrade the team with Alex gone but we aren't in any dire straights.   And as much as I hate the idea of reworking Houston's contract we could do that as well.

Also, it’s smiths legs that give him that big factor, and as he ages that’s gonna go away too.

It's funny how Smith ranks sixth in the league in total passing yardage, and yet people make comments like this. It doesn't change much when you shuffle the list to acknowledge total yardage:

Tom Brady: 4,002 total yards

Ben Roethlisberger: 3,934 total yards

Russell Wilson: 3,927 total yards

Alex Smith: 3,876 total yards

So why do people make a big deal about Smith's legs? Smith only has to use his legs because his receivers aren't getting open in the time his offensive line is giving him. You can go back and watch the games from earlier in the season to see the difference.

Why wouldn't we have any leverage? We don't have any players that we have to resign and just getting Berry back will be a huge boost to an already successful team. We also will be getting Conley, Ware, Ehinger and Ford back Cutting Hali, DJ, Colquitt will provide enough room to sign a good FA and get our draft picks (which there won't be many) signed. It only takes two teams that want him to offer us something worth taking. Obviously we can upgrade the team with Alex gone but we aren't in any dire straights. And as much as I hate the idea of reworking Houston's contract we could do that as well.

Do you think Clark is itching to pay out Alex’s contract and have him not play? Whether or not we have the cap room doesn’t matter. Smiths replacement is here and after this season it’s time to move on. We can try to leverage it but other gms are gonna call the bluff, not because of the cap but because it’s bad business.

It's funny how Smith ranks sixth in the league in total passing yardage, and yet people make comments like this. It doesn't change much when you shuffle the list to acknowledge total yardage:

Tom Brady: 4,002 total yards

Ben Roethlisberger: 3,934 total yards

Russell Wilson: 3,927 total yards

Alex Smith: 3,876 total yards

So why do people make a big deal about Smith's legs? Smith only has to use his legs because his receivers aren't getting open in the time his offensive line is giving him. You can go back and watch the games from earlier in the season to see the difference.

I know you’ll defend Alex at every turn, but what I said had absolutely nothing to do with this season or this seasons stats.

The chiefs aren’t going to pay that much money to a guy and have him not play. It’s nothing to do with salary cap. When smith signed that contract there was never any intention of paying that 2018 salary.

Again not true. They can afford it. There's all kinds of moves they can make to keep Smith and still have 15-20 million in cap space.

Hypothetically that is as I'm of the opinion Smith needs to be flipped for draft picks and can and will be.

I’m not here to debate if AS11 will be in KC next season. We have 50 other threads for that. Assuming that Alex is gone after this year, what do you all think fair trade value is for him? We’ve seen that there are already a good number of QB needy teams, and IMO 2018’s QB class isn’t nearly as impressive as it looked a year ago. Add to that the potential retirements of E. Manning, Roethlesberger, Rivers, and Palmer. You can also argue that Alex is a much improved QB compared to the one that the Chiefs gave up TWO 2nd round picks for five seasons ago.

I’m just curious as to what I should be expecting to see. We are already a 1st rd pick down and will be needing to replace several key players (Hali, DJ, Ford, Revis, etc) and draft picks will be important as we are cap strapped...

We aren't going to be cap strapped when all those guys you listed come off the payroll.

As for Smith I think a 2nd and a 4th would be reasonable. Especially if he finishes strong

I know you’ll defend Alex at every turn, but what I said had absolutely nothing to do with this season or this seasons stats.

And you'll attack Smith at every turn.

Also, it’s smiths legs that give him that big factor, and as he ages that’s gonna go away too.

If you didn't mean that Smith's value as a quarterback was going to plummet once he lost a step with age, what exactly did you mean?

More proven but has more miles and left in the tank. A gm would be out of his mind to sacrifice a 2nd round pick for a one year stop gap. Also, it’s smiths legs that give him that big factor, and as he ages that’s gonna go away too.

Very true. A guy like this could hit a wall quickly, but then again I doubt anyone is going to build around him at this point. He’s almost certainly a stop gap.

Archived