Alex Smith traded to the Browns Prediction

Why would smith take a reduced salary? We may not like how he plays, but the guy wins and is putting up top 5-10 stats. He guts act like he's nothing but a backup qb. I'm not a smith Homer by any means, but how some of you view him is mind boggling. We could do so much worse. As well as half the league IS doing now at qb

In the event he wants to go to a legit Contender it may be asked of him to take less in a restructure. Might be better that than the Browns?

Dorsey went out and signed some guys here to get some immediate impact. I believe he did that to get the players to buy in. Alex Smith would have won some games in Cleveland this year. I would easily offer a 3rd this year and conditional next year for two solid years of qb play. What will a rookie qb learn playing behind Kizer?

Dorsey went out and signed some guys here to get some immediate impact. I believe he did that to get the players to buy in. Alex Smith would have won some games in Cleveland this year. I would easily offer a 3rd this year and conditional next year for two solid years of qb play. What will a rookie qb learn playing behind Kizer?

Dorsey inherited quite a bit of CAP space and used it. Obviously he ultimately overused it but they are so flush with cash that he will almost have to spend just to get them to cap limit. 

Why would smith take a reduced salary? We may not like how he plays, but the guy wins and is putting up top 5-10 stats. He guts act like he's nothing but a backup qb. I'm not a smith Homer by any means, but how some of you view him is mind boggling. We could do so much worse. As well as half the league IS doing now at qb

Smith will be making just over 20 million for a year in 2018 in case of a trade and will be 35 after that. I can see Smith easily accepting a 3-year 45 million deal in case of a trade to prolong the effective time of his new contract.

Assuming he doesn't get a ring in KC and a contender is asking for him I could see him get even less just like Brady did. Players over 30 generally look for guarantees over a longer time or a strong chance of a ring in negotiations. 

I have to put this out there also...

While most of us only see the business side of trading Alex away this offseason, there is a seriously legitimate chance they honor any requests Alex makes as far as to whom he'd like to actually be sent to. Reid and Co. think the world of Alex and ultimately I could even see a flat out release (even with trade offers on the table) just so Alex gets a choice.

Just trying to add the human element to all of this and hopefully prepare most of us for potential disappointment if we don't maximize our return for Alex.

I could easily be completely wrong of course.

While most of us only see the business side of trading Alex away this offseason, there is a seriously legitimate chance they honor any requests Alex makes as far as to whom he'd like to actually be sent to. Read and Co. think the world of Alex and ultimately I could even see a flat out release (even with trade offers on the table) just so Alex gets a choice.

Just trying to add the human element to all of this and hopefully prepare most of us for potential disappointment if we don't maximize our return for Alex.

If there's a choice between a 2nd and a 3rd I'm guessing the staff go with the 2nd but if the picks are relatively close they will probably ask Smith to decide. Even though NFL is a business the relationship with players is one of the most important aspect of this business. I doubt they simply cut him instead of a mid round pick but it all depends on what's on the table and a team that thinks Smith will be their starter in 2018 should be ready to give up a pick in return just to guarantee his services without any FA battle. 

If there's a choice between a 2nd and a 3rd I'm guessing the staff go with the 2nd but if the picks are relatively close they will probably ask Smith to decide. Even though NFL is a business the relationship with players is one of the most important aspect of this business. I doubt they simply cut him instead of a mid round pick but it all depends on what's on the table and a team that thinks Smith will be their starter in 2018 should be ready to give up a pick in return just to guarantee his services without any FA battle.

Don't get me wrong, I'm heartless with this one lol. Take the best you can get. I was just playing devil's advocate here and setting my expectations to...well..."Chiefs" level lol.

While most of us only see the business side of trading Alex away this offseason, there is a seriously legitimate chance they honor any requests Alex makes as far as to whom he'd like to actually be sent to. Reid and Co. think the world of Alex and ultimately I could even see a flat out release (even with trade offers on the table) just so Alex gets a choice.

Wrong- no way they turn down a 3rd from say the Browns.....

Its like having a second car, someone wants to buy it but you give it away?

I don't think so....

There would never be a release unless he was only getting a 2019 7th rounder and they were right up against the $2 million bonus. Even then I think that they would just trade for the seventh rounder but I could see them trying to work with the other team for an extension.

There may be a little bit of consideration to where Smith wants to go (and a little bit on where they don't want Smith to go, like Denver). Reportedly, the Niners sent Smith to Kansas City instead of other places due to good faith. Obviously, that's two second rounders that we offered won the day anyway, but they were not goning to cover their ears.

I would sell my car for 2000 to my nephew instead of 2200 to a stranger, but I would not give it away to my nephew nor would I sell it for 1,000. The Chiefs could potentially benefit with free agents and agents by doing a little bit of good faith considerations.

They're not gonna sell the farm for nothing, but if the Cleveland Browns offered a third rounder but New York Giants offer a third rounder as well, I could see them going with the Giants instead of the Browns if Smith wanted it. Throw in a filler if needed. (The Giants aren't looking into Smith, I don't think - I just used that as an example because of the second worst team record-wise.)

There would never be a release unless he was only getting a 2019 7th rounder and they were right up against the $2 million bonus. Even then I think that they would just trade for the seventh rounder but I could see them trying to work with the other team for an extension.

There may be a little bit of consideration to where Smith wants to go (and a little bit on where they don't want Smith to go, like Denver). Reportedly, the Niners sent Smith to Kansas City instead of other places due to good faith. Obviously, that's two second rounders that we offered won the day anyway, but they were not goning to cover their ears.

I would sell my car for 2000 to my nephew instead of 2200 to a stranger, but I would not give it away to my nephew nor would I sell it for 1,000. The Chiefs could potentially benefit with free agents and agents by doing a little bit of good faith considerations.

They're not gonna sell the farm for nothing, but if the Cleveland Browns offered a third rounder but New York Giants offer a third rounder as well, I could see them going with the Giants instead of the Browns if Smith wanted it. Throw in a filler if needed. (The Giants aren't looking into Smith, I don't think - I just used that as an example because of the second worst team record-wise.)

I agree for the most part but the true purpose of my post was more to temper expectations. There are many of us hoping for a nice return and there is a possibility that our idea of return might be different than the Front Office. Which could ultimately be affected by honoring a request from Alex himself due to simple respect. That's all.

Veach is no fool, He will want every pick he can get his hands on. Especially with us not having a first rounder. My hope is a bidding war starts and we will be able to get our hands on two picks. I honestly think at least three or four teams will show an interest in the off season. I think we could get two picks from the Browns as they have so many to play with, the others I'm not so sure about. The best we can hope four is two picks worth a 2nd and 4th/5th maybe. The worst I'd say is a single 3rd or 4th. Can't see us getting anything less than that. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000895888/article/qb-index-week-16-who-will-be-hunting-for-a-new-qb

Again, Alex is ugly at times, but he's putting up great numbers this year. By no means are we in a "have to" position to trade him. I can easily see Reid sitting mahommes another year if we win a playoff game. Number 6 qb in rank right now, we will not give him away.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000895888/article/qb-index-week-16-who-will-be-hunting-for-a-new-qb

Again, Alex is ugly at times, but he's putting up great numbers this year. By no means are we in a "have to" position to trade him. I can easily see Reid sitting mahommes another year if we win a playoff game. Number 6 qb in rank right now, we will not give him away.

Wasting the cap space needed to revamp the defense wouldn't be advised. Wasting the potential to regain some draft capital and have that be nearly maximized by Alexs' play this year wouldn't be advised either. Bad business. But yes, unfortunately it's a disconcerting possibility we hang on to Alex.

Chiefs have multiple guys on defense that need new deals and looks like could use a couple FAs. Right now Chiefs might be spending the least money on CBs among the NFL with so many rookies. With the need to sign multiple guys I'm guessing the staff opt to sign some of them as soon as this year to lighten the burden for upcoming seasons. Chiefs sure aren't in a position of must-trade but financially it makes more sense. 

He's also the only one in the top 10 that's realistically attainable.  There should be a demand at QB for him.  I say should, because it's the Chiefs.  Any other team had him and there would be a 1st and 3rd just waiting for him, since it's the Chiefs we'll be lucky to get one 3rd IMO.

He's also the only one in the top 10 that's realistically attainable. There should be a demand at QB for him. I say should, because it's the Chiefs. Any other team had him and there would be a 1st and 3rd just waiting for him, since it's the Chiefs we'll be lucky to get one 3rd IMO.

So now we are some bottom rung organization that makes horrific trades that nobody else would make. Maybe your calling Chiefs fans illiterate football fans for good reason.

So now we are some bottom rung organization that makes horrific trades that nobody else would make. Maybe your calling Chiefs fans illiterate football fans for good reason.

Did you read what I said?  I said if he played for anyone else, they would be gifted a 1st and 3rd for Alex Smith.

Because it's the Chiefs, they'll be lucky to get a 3rd.

Did you read what I said? I said if he played for anyone else, they would be gifted a 1st and 3rd for Alex Smith.

Because it's the Chiefs, they'll be lucky to get a 3rd.

Yes. And did you see what I said because that’s preposterous. In fact because Andy Reid makes every QB he’s ever had the best he’s ever been we can almost certainly command more than anyone else would have. See Kevin Kolb. But because it’s the Chiefs. LOL

Yes. And did you see what I said because that’s preposterous. In fact because Andy Reid makes every QB he’s ever had the best he’s ever been we can almost certainly command more than anyone else would have. See Kevin Kolb. But because it’s the Chiefs. LOL

How is what I'm saying so off the wall compared to someone hating all over Alex Smith this season while being the league's highest rated QB?

Someone stating our short-comings are all because of Smith is WAY more of an exaggeration than me stating we will be lucky to get a 3rd for him because, Chiefs.

Because, Chiefs is the most predictable thing ever.  You can set your watch to it.

They seem to be more optimistic than we are, then again Smith probably looks better to anyone that doesn't want a SB from him soon. Hopefully the 2nd mentioned could be a reality. It would be a huge difference maker for 2018 and if somehow a bidding war starts it would be even greater. 

Archived