When teams begin to double up on Tyreek!!!

The media were all questioning why the Chargers didn't double up on Hill when he burned Hayward for the TD. And one would have to imagine that teams aren't gonna be fooled by this for much longer. So the question is, what do we do when they start to double up on Ty? Do we simply run the ball down their throats? Keep targetting Kelce or will it open up more opportunities for Robinson? 

It's gonna be interesting to watch because IMO I don't even think doubling up on Hill will have much effect anyway because we all saw with the "Hill Mary" in Dallas that even when he has company around him, he can still find a way through :D

double teaming 1 guy with 2 people doesn't really happen.  they may bracket Hill with safety help, but that just opens everything else up for Hunt and Kelce. 

Yeah well, that's what they call "doubling up", putting a safety in that zone while the CB shadows Tyreek. But how do you think Hill will cope with that attention? With the speed he has, no safety or CB is catching up with him anyway so I'm not sure it will work. And yeah it will open things up for Kelce and Hunt, but just imagine having ANOTHER speed guy on the other side too? That would be a nightmare for DC's and I hope Reid and co think about that. 

Chargers media is confused because they were giving safety help against Tyreek almost all night. But it was 3rd and 2 and the Chargers went into a short yardage defense which opened up single coverage for Tyreek. Nobody can cover him one on one and this type of thing is always going to eventually be available during a game.  Nobody can cover Tyreek one on one so we get that look, its go time whether he looks open or not.

The media were all questioning why the Chargers didn't double up on Hill when he burned Hayward for the TD. And one would have to imagine that teams aren't gonna be fooled by this for much longer. So the question is, what do we do when they start to double up on Ty? Do we simply run the ball down their throats? Keep targetting Kelce or will it open up more opportunities for Robinson?

It's gonna be interesting to watch because IMO I don't even think doubling up on Hill will have much effect anyway because we all saw with the "Hill Mary" in Dallas that even when he has company around him, he can still find a way through :D .

In these next two games, I would beat the horse of Hill and just keep going to him so that teams would double him and then go everywhere else in the wildcard round. And then if we win, go all around in the division game.

When Kaepernick was doing his read option offense, I read that Greg Roman abandoned the read option in the last two or three games of the regular season and made it seem like he felt that the league figured it out. Then against Green Bay, they went read option happy. Of course, Green Bay's defense is not smart enough to stop Kaepernick.

In these next two games, I would beat the horse of Hill and just keep going to him so that teams would double him and then go everywhere else in the wildcard round. And then if we win, go all around in the division game.

When Kaepernick was doing his read option offense, I read that Greg Roman abandoned the read option in the last two or three games of the regular season and made it seem like he felt that the league figured it out. Then against Green Bay, they went read option happy. Of course, Green Bay's defense is not smart enough to stop Kaepernick.

Teams including the Chargers are already giving constant safety help over the top on Hill. You just can’t do it in short yardage situations. Well maybe this is a spot where teams start doing that too.

Chargers media is confused because they were giving safety help against Tyreek almost all night. But it was 3rd and 2 and the Chargers went into a short yardage defense which opened up single coverage for Tyreek. Nobody can cover him one on one and this type of thing is always going to eventually be available during a game. Nobody can cover Tyreek one on one so we get that look, its go time whether he looks open or not.

Speed guys like Hill, you don’t double them, you jam them at the line. If you give a burner a free release he’s going to run by you. If you get physical at the line you disrupt his timing. Luckily for us the league isn’t full of physical man to man cover corners that can jam.

Double teaming an outside guy rarely happens in the open field. They gave Safety help all game long but tight double coverage is very rare in such situations as it would simply free up another target like Kelce, who's also very hard to cover with a single guy. 

It is hard to jam him because he has quick instincts and you usually give him a bigger buffer than the 5 yards they allow jamming, but I hope with Smith is that they don't jam him enough to not go to him. He doesn't go to him very often anyway but to go less would be even worse.

Speed guys like Hill, you don’t double them, you jam them at the line. If you give a burner a free release he’s going to run by you. If you get physical at the line you disrupt his timing. Luckily for us the league isn’t full of physical man to man cover corners that can jam.

Try to jam or not, if you don’t give safety help over the top against Tyreek or play zone, your going to get burned. He’s simply to good one on one. He’s truly a special talent.

Chargers media is confused because they were giving safety help against Tyreek almost all night. But it was 3rd and 2 and the Chargers went into a short yardage defense which opened up single coverage for Tyreek. Nobody can cover him one on one and this type of thing is always going to eventually be available during a game.  Nobody can cover Tyreek one on one so we get that look, its go time whether he looks open or not.

They also ran a 5 receiver set I think on that play so the lone safety had to cover the side of the field with 3 receivers. Hill was on the side with one other receiver.

As for the OP, Hill has been doubled and bracketed throughout the entire season. Problem is you can not do that every snap because you have to account for Kelce and Hunt.  That's why Pittsburgh's zone defense give the Chiefs so much trouble. They don't have to double up on any one receiver. They simply play very disciplined zone schemes and get good zone blitzing pressure. Smith sees nothing but defenders down field and muffs up when the pressure gets to him because he holds the ball too long.

I hope whoever plays the Steelers in the playoffs knocks them out for the Chiefs because I think they can beat every team but the Steelers.

This is true too. Especially your last sentence. College's don't produce enough of these types of corners and learning the ropes takes a while at the NFL level. 

Archived