Why is Robinson getting no looks?

Its hard to take you seriously. Last week you were ready to step off the ledge. At least I'm consistent in my opinion. You will see the bad Alex again come playoff time. Mark my words.

The OP asked why he hasn't gotten looks. That has little to do with Alex in my opinion. What's changed? Albert Wilson is back and they use him more in the offense. Plus, Hill, Kelce, and Hunt. They also like to use the TE's more hence watching Harris drop passes week in and week out. If trust were the issue you would think Alex Smith would completely stop throwing to that guy.

As for your direct post above, I too was completely ready to move on from Alex after several weeks of watching him crap himself. That said, he's playing quite well the past few weeks. So yes my opinion for benching him have changed because his level of play changed. You talk about being consistent, but is being consistently "negative" regardless of justification a good thing? Something to think about.

Nagy is basically auditioning for a job and he wants the flashy plays as well as an effective running game. Frankly I don't see much improvement in our passing attack besides the deep throws to Hill but as long as it's working Nagy will probably need to spend more time with Robinson or other receivers before being comfortable with them. Right now it's probably on Smith's shoulders to make the read but not sure how much he actually practiced with Robinson. I wouldn't be surprised if Mahomes spends more time with him in practice as they are both considered for the future. 

"I don't see much improvement in our passing attack besides the deep throws to Hill"...well that actually is a HUGE difference. Alex Smith was missing those throws during that long losing streak. Smith is connecting on them now. That's a pretty HUGE difference considering the complaining about Smith since he became a Chiefs was that he didn't throw deep accurately. 

Not  giving you shit specifically, but I feel like people complained about certain things and then when those things finally changed some of his biggest critics just ignored it and stated he would come back down to earth. And he did, so they felt vindicated. But here he is once again hitting on the passes his critics said he couldn't make. I honestly think that Alex Smith is peaking as a QB late in his career. Fortunately for Smith, since he takes care of his health he could probably play for another 4 years or maybe more. Some team is going to get a good QB who took longer than most QB's to find his groove in the NFL. It doesn't happen often but it does happen.

All that said, I can't wait for Mahomes in 2018.

The OP asked why he hasn't gotten looks. That has little to do with Alex in my opinion. What's changed? Albert Wilson is back and they use him more in the offense. Plus, Hill, Kelce, and Hunt. They also like to use the TE's more hence watching Harris drop passes week in and week out. If trust were the issue you would think Alex Smith would completely stop throwing to that guy.

As for your direct post above, I too was completely ready to move on from Alex after several weeks of watching him crap himself. That said, he's playing quite well the past few weeks. So yes my opinion for benching him have changed because his level of play changed. You talk about being consistent, but is being consistently "negative" regardless of justification a good thing? Something to think about.

I think Smith will trust somebody who is where he is supposed to be even if he drops the ball. I can't find the link, but I read that Robinson breaks off routes and is sloppy and that is really good for improvisational plays or scramble drills. That's a great thing and Smith got to him a couple times, but he is left open and not looked for in other plays partly due to Smith's fault but possibly due to not being where he is supposed to be on certain plays. I will try to find the link. You are bound to be open on certain plays when you were not part of the first few progressions. Again, I will put some of that blame on Smith.

I think Smith will trust somebody who is where he is supposed to be even if he drops the ball. I can't find the link, but I read that Robinson breaks off routes and is sloppy and that is really good for improvisational plays or scramble drills. That's a great thing and Smith got to him a couple times, but he is left open and not looked for in other plays partly due to Smith's fault but possibly due to not being where he is supposed to be on certain plays. I will try to find the link. You are bound to be open on certain plays when you were not part of the first few progressions. Again, I will put some of that blame on Smith.

Alex is not really all that good at improvisation. Cost us a huge play in last years playoff loss. And yet this may be exactly what Mahomes best asset could become.  Alex normally goes through reads very quickly and then takes off running. He also generally doesn't like to throw to WRs who aren't open already. We need a big bodied physical  WR who can win jump balls with Mahomes. That guy is a waste with Alex. Likewise on point a guy thats not running precise routes won't get the ball from Alex. But if he stays active and works his way into space as the play breaks down is much more likely to get the ball from Mahomes. Heck we saw that amazing play in preseason as an example.

I haven't studied tape but I would think that opposing defenses would put their their best cover guys on Hill, then Kelce then maybe Wilson, right? So if we have the other team's weakest DB on Robinson, wouldn't you think we would at least try to take advantage of that weakness and throw to Robinson at least some of the time? Other teams seemed to find our weakest DB (cough, Gaines) and repeatedly beat him like a drum. I realize that you have to get Hill and Kelce touches but come on man, exploiting other teams weaknesses is part of being a good offense! If Robinson is running such lousy routes, he wouldn't be playing. Reid wouldn't put up with that. Particularly since you have Chesson waiting in the wings. I felt they underutilized Conley too. The WR2 position might as well be a ghost.

It's really quite simple: Demarcus Robinson isn't a high quality West Coast Offense receiver, regardless of his athleticism. He is on the field because there simply isn't a better alternative. Fpr the reason that Smith had no problems connecting with Chris Conley, and has no problems finding Kelce, Hill, or Wilson, the burden of proof as to why Robinson is unproductive as a receiver is on fans trying to justify Robinson, not Smith.

As for what the coaches are saying, Demarcus Robinson's snaps have fallen steadily for five straight games. I don't really understand why he's drawing the start over Wilson, except that Wilson evidently isn't in the Chiefs' long-term plans.

"I don't see much improvement in our passing attack besides the deep throws to Hill"...well that actually is a HUGE difference. Alex Smith was missing those throws during that long losing streak. Smith is connecting on them now. That's a pretty HUGE difference considering the complaining about Smith since he became a Chiefs was that he didn't throw deep accurately. 

Not  giving you shit specifically, but I feel like people complained about certain things and then when those things finally changed some of his biggest critics just ignored it and stated he would come back down to earth. And he did, so they felt vindicated. But here he is once again hitting on the passes his critics said he couldn't make. I honestly think that Alex Smith is peaking as a QB late in his career. Fortunately for Smith, since he takes care of his health he could probably play for another 4 years or maybe more. Some team is going to get a good QB who took longer than most QB's to find his groove in the NFL. It doesn't happen often but it does happen.

All that said, I can't wait for Mahomes in 2018.

Execution is the most important aspect. If the players cannot execute the playcalling doesn't really matter. Right now the Chiefs are successfully executing things they have been failing at during the losing streak. Once those are taken care of we'll start to see some new aspects to the offense. Successful execution starts with the QB and if Alex was missing these throws we would still be facing a brick wall in the running game so he's where the improvement started. 

Smith is probably at the peak of his career, at least he hasn't been this good in the seasons I watched him but still needs to get some clutch success against certain opponents. I used to think that we can win the SB with Smith even when he wasn't making these throws and still optimistic that we can but came to the realization that Smith needs the rest of the machine working smoothly to keep it going. Chiefs have been cruising nicely with Smith at the helm in calm waters but there'll likely be some storms in the playoffs and that's where Smith will showcase himself. 

• 2 weeks later...

Really simple answer. Does he get open?

Of course he does. Whether or not the quarterback should be looking for him or other players is the question. When the play breaks down the quarterback should know where the players are but if the quarterback is throwing to one of us progressions when the play has not broken down, being open and where is the quarterback should have thrown to him, is dependent upon the read. I do think Smith does not recognize the one I want situations often enough. But he does sometimes. I've seen him audible into that type of situation but if the Priestap reads look like the progressions are going to be open, he's not going to audible out of it and that's where Mahomes will benefit us. Might take a while for Mahomes to learn the different looks the defenses gives him because relying upon improv is not a good thing either.

Is it just possible that Robinson is only in his second year and has not acclimated to the speed of the NFL yet and for a fourth round pick is merely working his way into a room that has three standout offensive weapons already and just needs more time to work his way into the rotation?

Is it just possible that Robinson is only in his second year and has not acclimated to the speed of the NFL yet and for a fourth round pick is merely working his way into a room that has three standout offensive weapons already and just needs more time to work his way into the rotation?

He might not have adjusted to the real NFL but the preseason raised the expectations for most after he showed a lot of promise.

I think Robinson will be fine. The first 3 looks have been going to Kelce, Hill, Hunt then Wilson. It’s just a numbers game. When the coaches get that level of comfort, he will get some looks. I think Wilson gets more looks now than his first couple years starting.

Archived