Sorensen, Murray and Parker!!..are they good enough?

Next season I think we should be aspiring to build a truly top class secondary. Berry and Peters are obviously the gems we currently have in there. And we all know that we will be getting a new CB on the off-season. So the question is, is it time to get a new safety to partner Berry? We've seen the struggles the secondary have had this season with Berry missing, So I just think it would be foolhardy not to bring someone else in there. Now Murray is still young but the way he struggled at Oakland wasn't pretty. Meanwhile, Parker is only getting older and Sorensen may have a lot of tackles this year but his overall play has left a lot to be desired. So personally, I'd be prepared to cut/trade one of these in order to bring someone else in tbh. Having a young stud next to a returning Berry would be epic imo.

Dirty Dan is a fine backup and special teams player. Murray is young but I think he’ll get there. Parker is solid and underrated. The problem with our safeties isn’t personnel, it’s berry ending up on IR multiple times because it disrupts how guys are used. If Berry isn’t out the other guys are good because they’re playing within their roles. If Berry can’t stay healthy in 2018 the chiefs need to start preparing to move on.

I think Sorensen plays hard but he takes ridiculously bad tackling angles. He is better suited as a Special Teams ace and backup. Playing every down exposes him. I think Parker's biggest liability is his tackling. He is now the last line of defense and his tackling technique borders on Peters bad. Berry, Nelson and Revis all tackle well but I would be happy to move on from those two safeties mentioned earlier. I'd even consider making Revis (if kept) the other Safety when Berry comes back and you'd be really solid back there. Need to draft two more CB's  to replace Revis and Gaines. If we don't keep Revis, I hope we can acquire a larger safety to cover some of these huge TE's in the league now. Murray is undersized and is forced to hold just to keep from getting destroyed.

I think Sorensen plays hard but he takes ridiculously bad tackling angles. He is better suited as a Special Teams ace and backup. Playing every down exposes him. I think Parker's biggest liability is his tackling. He is now the last line of defense and his tackling technique borders on Peters bad. Berry, Nelson and Revis all tackle well but I would be happy to move on from those two safeties mentioned earlier. I'd even consider making Revis (if kept) the other Safety when Berry comes back and you'd be really solid back there. Need to draft two more CB's  to replace Revis and Gaines. If we don't keep Revis, I hope we can acquire a larger safety to cover some of these huge TE's in the league now. Murray is undersized and is forced to hold just to keep from getting destroyed.

Why?  Because one time he got called for def holding in the Raiders game? 

Dirty Dan is a fine backup and special teams player. Murray is young but I think he’ll get there. Parker is solid and underrated. The problem with our safeties isn’t personnel, it’s berry ending up on IR multiple times because it disrupts how guys are used. If Berry isn’t out the other guys are good because they’re playing within their roles. If Berry can’t stay healthy in 2018 the chiefs need to start preparing to move on.

This is spot on. Parker is very diverse and underrated but doesn't have skill level of Berry. Sorenson was just asked to do things this year he isn't good at. Murray is the guy we hope can develop but clearly was overmatched at times early. With Berry back this unit makes a ton of sense and is nearly elite. But again availability is the key there. Hopefully he can have two healthy seasons and then his contract becomes managable and gives us options.  

Why?  Because one time he got called for def holding in the Raiders game? 

Well first of all, he just didn't hold him, he hugged him like a child saying, "Please don't go Daddy!" Secondly, that same Tight End almost single-handedly won the game for Oakland in the 4th quarter. He was unstoppable and Murray was in coverage on most of it. If he can't cover Cook, how can he keep up with the likes of Gronk, Benjamin Watson and Mercedes Lewis? I'm not giving up on the kid but he is a converted CB is he not? I want a true Safety on this team. Sorensen has the size but I don't think he is a sure tackler. The rushing defense got immediately better once they figured out that Sorenson as a LB was a disaster.

Well first of all, he just didn't hold him, he hugged him like a child saying, "Please don't go Daddy!" Secondly, that same Tight End almost single-handedly won the game for Oakland in the 4th quarter. He was unstoppable and Murray was in coverage on most of it. If he can't cover Cook, how can he keep up with the likes of Gronk, Benjamin Watson and Mercedes Lewis? I'm not giving up on the kid but he is a converted CB is he not? I want a true Safety on this team. Sorensen has the size but I don't think he is a sure tackler. The rushing defense got immediately better once they figured out that Sorenson as a LB was a disaster.

Sorensen is a safety. I’d expect the run defense to be better with a true linebacker as opposed to a safety playing linebacker. That’s just common sense. You can’t blame a safety that’s being asked to play linebacker.

This is spot on. Parker is very diverse and underrated but doesn't have skill level of Berry. Sorenson was just asked to do things this year he isn't good at. Murray is the guy we hope can develop but clearly was overmatched at times early. With Berry back this unit makes a ton of sense and is nearly elite. But again availability is the key there. Hopefully he can have two healthy seasons and then his contract becomes managable and gives us options.

Sorenson is ok in coverage and is a good blitzer. He is awful in run support which seems problematic as a SS, but I still think he is quality depth and is fine as Berrys backup. Parker is having un uncharacteristically poor season, but as you mentioned not having Berry has changed everyones role. I hope Murray can develop into Parkers replacement for 2019 so we dont need to invest another pick there.

Sorensen is a safety. I’d expect the run defense to be better with a true linebacker as opposed to a safety playing linebacker. That’s just common sense. You can’t blame a safety that’s being asked to play linebacker.

That's part of the issue though. Berry is REALLY good at that nickel LB role. Moving KPL into that role did help though in short term.  

I don't know. Berry seemed to thrive in that role. So has Chancellor, Ward and Weddle to name a few. I like Sorensen. He a tough son of a gun but he takes bad angles and he doesn't wrap up well. Tackling by our DBs is one of the principle reasons why we had the losing streak. It has gotten better with Nelson and Revis in there. At least I know they will stop the guy once they get a hold of him. 

I don't know. Berry seemed to thrive in that role. So has Chancellor, Ward and Weddle to name a few. I like Sorensen. He a tough son of a gun but he takes bad angles and he doesn't wrap up well. Tackling by our DBs is one of the principle reasons why we had the losing streak. It has gotten better with Nelson and Revis in there. At least I know they will stop the guy once they get a hold of him.

If dirty Dan were capable of playing a hybrid linebacker role at a high level like only a handful of safeties in the league, he’d be getting more money and starting somewhere. That’s why I emphasized that he was a backup being asked to do things that weren’t his strength. He’s a solid backup/ special teams player , I just don’t blame him for not being able to replicate Berry, because it’s not his fault he was being asked to do things he wasn’t capable of doing. He’s a guy I absolutely want on my team, as a backup safety and special teams player, not trying to play linebacker. Now, whether it took so long to take him out of the linebacker role because the staff refused to adjust or they just weren’t yet comfortable with the linebacker group, we’ll never know.

If dirty Dan were capable of playing a hybrid linebacker role at a high level like only a handful of safeties in the league, he’d be getting more money and starting somewhere. That’s why I emphasized that he was a backup being asked to do things that weren’t his strength. He’s a solid backup/ special teams player , I just don’t blame him for not being able to replicate Berry, because it’s not his fault he was being asked to do things he wasn’t capable of doing. He’s a guy I absolutely want on my team, as a backup safety and special teams player, not trying to play linebacker. Now, whether it took so long to take him out of the linebacker role because the staff refused to adjust or they just weren’t yet comfortable with the linebacker group, we’ll never know.

Problem is we are paying Sorenson starting money the next three years st almost 5 million per. With Parker at 7 million the next two years that leaves us st 12 million per year for our 2 and 3 safeties alone. And we already have the highest paid safety aside from that. Seems as though Parker may be out after all and Sorenson sliding into his starting role?

Problem is we are paying Sorenson starting money the next three years st almost 5 million per. With Parker at 7 million the next two years that leaves us st 12 million per year for our 2 and 3 safeties alone. And we already have the highest paid safety aside from that. Seems as though Parker may be out after all and Sorenson sliding into his starting role?

Gotta be Murray starting at FS if that happens right? I think hes been ripped apart here unfairly.

Sorenson cant cover that much ground can he? I really think Murray has some upside and being a former corner could be a productive FS. I dont want Sorenson starting. He's much better as a rotational guy.

I was hopeful for Sorensen but looks like he was a good backup that's a decent rotational guy. I was expecting Abdullah type performance from him starting this season. However he's not good enough to be a starter. I like Murray's progression as he was a very raw guy coming out but still not ready. Could make a big leap though. Parker is pretty good as a coverage guy but he's more like something in between a Safety and a CB without truly playing up to the needs of either position, misses way too many tackles in the open field. 

IMO all three are contributing yet could be upgraded and neither seem to be the mold to lead any position. I think we should add at least one solid Safety to the mix as Parker is already getting old and only has a year left on his deal and personally I prefer to see less of Sorensen in our 3-Safety sets. 

Sorenson is owed almost 5 mill next season but his dead cap number is only 3 mill. So its not inconceivable that he is released himself. Would only free up 1.8 million but who knows...Maybe we can find a reserve in free agency that is more productive.

From a sheer numbers standpoint Parkers release gives us much more cap room, but you are also creating a need for a starting free safety if you do that as opposed to a need for a reserve strong safety.

Regardless we will have 25 million dollars in cap space locked up next year between Berry, Parker, snd Sorenson. Thats probably too much for a team needing a defensive overhaul and trying to get an infusion of youth and speed on that side of the ball.

Sorenson is owed almost 5 mill next season but his dead cap number is only 3 mill. So its not inconceivable that he is released himself. Would only free up 1.8 million but who knows...Maybe we can find a reserve in free agency that is more productive.

From a sheer numbers standpoint Parkers release gives us much more cap room, but you are also creating a need for a starting free safety if you do that as opposed to a need for a reserve strong safety.

Regardless we will have 25 million dollars in cap space locked up next year between Berry, Parker, snd Sorenson. Thats probably too much for a team needing a defensive overhaul and trying to get an infusion of youth and speed on that side of the ball.

Eh, at that price they may have to wait one more season before Sorenson is more affordable to cut.  With Berry back then maybe Parker is the one who is cut while they bring in a FA or draft pick to replace Parker.

OR, just leave it as is with the thinking Berry's return will help everyone and go out and get a shutdown CB to pair with Peters?

I think at this point I would like to see the focus on another legit CB brought in vs making a ton of moves at Safety.

This whole argument might be moot to be honest.  Berry and Parker have been amazing together, and Reid/Sutton will probably leave that alone.  IF...and that's a BIG IF...we retain Revis next season(according to spotrac he's only a 4.5 million hit on the salary cap), We will be set at CB with Revis and Peters.  I know his first game he looked bad in tackling situations, but He's only allowed one reception for 6 yards in 2 games.  With that all in mind, our current group is more than capable in a backup role.  Murray is still young and still has a chance to develop, and Sorensen is serviceable as a backup.  with our needs along the DLine, I just can't see any high draft picks or free agents to be used in the secondary....IF all the above happens...

Eh, at that price they may have to wait one more season before Sorenson is more affordable to cut. With Berry back then maybe Parker is the one who is cut while they bring in a FA or draft pick to replace Parker.

OR, just leave it as is with the thinking Berry's return will help everyone and go out and get a shutdown CB to pair with Peters?

I think at this point I would like to see the focus on another legit CB brought in vs making a ton of moves at Safety.

Now your talking. Agree completely with this. Mitchell is inconsistent but he has flashed and things were so bad with Gaines we had to throw darts and take a chance on Revis. I’d draft a corner on day two and sign another even if that’s Mitchell.

Now your talking. Agree completely with this. Mitchell is inconsistent but he has flashed and things were so bad with Gaines we had to throw darts and take a chance on Revis. I’d draft a corner on day two and sign another even if that’s Mitchell.

Gotta go big at corner. Bashaud Breeland, Morris Claiborne, Prince Amukamara, Aaron Colvin, Kyle Fuller, Malcolm Butler...Someone to give us a legit stud tandem.

Resign Mitchell to a lesser deal and with Nelson wed have a nice stable...we have very little money invested at corner. Im sure Veach is aware.

Gotta go big at corner. Bashaud Breeland, Morris Claiborne, Prince Amukamara, Aaron Colvin, Kyle Fuller, Malcolm Butler...Someone to give us a legit stud tandem.

Resign Mitchell to a lesser deal and with Nelson wed have a nice stable...we have very little money invested at corner. Im sure Veach is aware.

Isn't Nelson a FA after this season?

Archived