Whats the future with Eric Berry?

With Parker in his last year and Berry's every other year injury issues we will need a safety sooner rather than later. But I really doubt we look there this year with Murray and Sorenson locked up as well. For 2018 if Berry comes back strong should have one of the best safety groups in the NFL. 

The future is he is our starting SS for the next 3 years minimum. 2020 is the first year his dead cap number is even in the range where they would consider releasing him. And theres no reason why we should be looking to release or replace him. Hes an elite player and a leader. This narrative is tired and foolish.

The future is he is our starting SS for the next 3 years minimum. 2020 is the first year his dead cap number is even in the range where they would consider releasing him. And theres no reason why we should be looking to release or replace him. Hes an elite player and a leader. This narrative is tired and foolish.

No doubt. The future of our defense is predicated on a healthy Berry and Houston at least the next two seasons. If we get that while Veach rebuilds some of the aging core, this unit can be elite sooner rather than later especially with pieces like Jones and Peters (assuming his attitude issues are in the past). 

yeah, let's take about a $30m dead money cap hit and cut one of the best defensive players in the league.

He'll get 2018. After that, if he can't show that he's returned to form after an injury that traditionally kills top-end burst, perhaps the Chiefs won't keep him past his unfortunately-timed shelf-life expiration in the manner that they kept Tamba Hali.

There is literally nothing in the CBA that protects teams from getting killed by injuries like Berry's. He played three-quarters of one game on a $78 million contract that guaranteed $30 million unconditionally from the start. That's one expensive game. At least the Chiefs won.

He'll get 2018. After that, if he can't show that he's returned to form after an injury that traditionally kills top-end burst, perhaps the Chiefs won't keep him past his unfortunately-timed shelf-life expiration in the manner that they kept Tamba Hali.

There is literally nothing in the CBA that protects teams from getting killed by injuries like Berry's. He played three-quarters of one game on a $78 million contract that guaranteed $30 million unconditionally from the start. That's one expensive game. At least the Chiefs won.

Fortunately his CAP hit this season is only 5 million so it didn't bury us. But having your star players out of action is indeed a dagger for more than the reason of simply losing that player. 

Fortunately his CAP hit this season is only 5 million so it didn't bury us. But having your star players out of action is indeed a dagger for more than the reason of simply losing that player.

Players should get paid when injured. Guaranteed. However, I think teams should get no cap hit when players are lost for a season. Or put on IR.

That would get exploited so fast near the trade deadline. Shoot we would have put Hali and DJ on that list is a split second to get 15 plus million to maneuver at the deadline

Maybe an amendment, like if it happens in preseason or first 3 games?

There's literally no reason why injured players lost for the year should have their full cap number count against the team, but that's the way it is. That being said, the teams that don't get killed by injuries are the ones that didn't hinge their rosters on players with elite-level contracts. More role players, fewer linchpin players. That's the only right way to manage the cap.

Eric has for sure seen more than his fair share of medical misfortune.. he has also shown when on the field to be one of if not the best at his position, he commands the attention and respect of every player and coach on and off the field. This may be big reds show, but its berrys team. This is the type of player that you pay till they retire. I know it's rare and not smart team building to hold on to players past certain age/ circumstance, but if you preach family you don't gut the soul of your team to save a few mil a year.

There's literally no reason why injured players lost for the year should have their full cap number count against the team, but that's the way it is. That being said, the teams that don't get killed by injuries are the ones that didn't hinge their rosters on players with elite-level contracts. More role players, fewer linchpin players. That's the only right way to manage the cap.

That Patriots 101. Don’t overpay anyone. Ever. And of course have Tom Brady or this doesn’t work and even then pay him part of his salary under the table. Most other teams though have a few overpaid stars and it works as long as those guys are healthy. But again. The better the QB, the less succeptable to injuries you are.

Eric has for sure seen more than his fair share of medical misfortune.. he has also shown when on the field to be one of if not the best at his position, he commands the attention and respect of every player and coach on and off the field. This may be big reds show, but its berrys team. This is the type of player that you pay till they retire. I know it's rare and not smart team building to hold on to players past certain age/ circumstance, but if you preach family you don't gut the soul of your team to save a few mil a year.

Berry is one of the most respected players and leaders this team has ever had. You see guys in our current locker room tall about this constantly. Not having him on the field is a dagger. Just gotta hope he comes back strong.

Players should get paid when injured. Guaranteed. However, I think teams should get no cap hit when players are lost for a season. Or put on IR.[/quote

You open up a huge can of worms by doing this. Teams using fake injuries to create CAP space to renegotiate extension. Or park an underperforming veteran here at no cost. Or even using it to redshirt a young guy like Mahomes. Heck we did with with Bray and got no relief.

I do think they should expand roster sizes or heck get rid of them. What’s the purpose of the IR anyway at this point? Doesn’t the salary cap regulate this already?

Players should get paid when injured. Guaranteed. However, I think teams should get no cap hit when players are lost for a season. Or put on IR.[/quote

You open up a huge can of worms by doing this. Teams using fake injuries to create CAP space to renegotiate extension. Or park an underperforming veteran here at no cost. Or even using it to redshirt a young guy like Mahomes. Heck we did with with Bray and got no relief.

I do think they should expand roster sizes or heck get rid of them. What’s the purpose of the IR anyway at this point? Doesn’t the salary cap regulate this already?

Maybe roster size is the answer. I don’t know what the answer is, but I don’t think a teams cap should be killed/ hindered by LEGITIMATE injuries. Maybe you get to do it once, or only within the first 3 weeks. I don’t think teams would get away with “fake” injuries. The players would cry foul.

Berry will probably come back strong like he did twice previously. If so this defense will improve dramatically. Berry is basically an elite QB on defense as he makes everyone else in the unit better. He's also the captain and emotional leader of this team, that's why all the players were praising his presence on the sidelines and its effects on their performance. Barring a terrible misfortune Berry will probably retire as a Chief and could get a coaching job right away afterwards.

Berry is the least of our problems....In fact, he solves 2-3 of them single handedly.

Players, Coaches and Fans have unbridled respect for the man. 

I have to believe that he will be back and better than ever given his track record.

w

I certainly hope Berry can come back and be his old self, but we all know that coming back from a torn achilles tendon is a crap shoot. See DJ. He just isn't the same player any more.

Not true. After his first one, he came back strong.

Archived