Let’s pay tribute to Alex Smith

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a great article and correct.  We should appreciate Alex Smith and what he's done here the past 5 seasons.

Unfortunately, most Chiefs' fans and media are football illiterate and are too hung up on the fact that Alex Smith isn't Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers, so therefore he sucks and they hate him.

It's a great article and correct.  We should appreciate Alex Smith and what he's done here the past 5 seasons.

Unfortunately, most Chiefs' fans and media are football illiterate and are too hung up on the fact that Alex Smith isn't Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers, so therefore he sucks and they hate him.

Thats Bull Shit.. altho we may not want to bare his children like some on here  I cant think of more than a couple of people actually say that they "Hated" Alex. Do some think his limitations are greater than others but at the same time appreciate  this efforts and respect  him as a Human Being? Absolutely but lets lay off the superlatives..makes you look like a teenage girl   :rolleyes:

Thats Bull Shit.. altho we may not want to bare his children like some on here I cant think of more than a couple of people actually say that they "Hated" Alex. Do some think his limitations are greater than others but at the same time appreciate this efforts and respect him as a Human Being? Absolutely but lets lay off the superlatives..makes you look like a teenage girl :rolleyes:

There are more Chiefs' fans that do not like Alex Smith than there are fans that like him.

Fact.

Thats Bull Shit.. altho we may not want to bare his children like some on here I cant think of more than a couple of people actually say that they "Hated" Alex. Do some think his limitations are greater than others but at the same time appreciate this efforts and respect him as a Human Being? Absolutely but lets lay off the superlatives..makes you look like a teenage girl :rolleyes:

Spot on. That’s complete BS. Find me even one media member that covers this team that would say he sucks. Likewise go to Arrowhead and poll the 75,000 out there and tell me how many would say he sucks. Heck there was a freakin poll on this board about a month ago. Check it out and tell me how many people say he sucks.

Spot on. That’s complete BS. Find me even one media member that covers this team that would say he sucks. Likewise go to Arrowhead and poll the 75,000 out there and tell me how many would say he sucks. Heck there was a freakin poll on this board about a month ago. Check it out and tell me how many people say he sucks.

You can't be serious?  It's a daily rhetoric on social media and in KC media that people flat out do not like Alex Smith because of his limitations and always compare him to HOF QBs like Big Ben and Brady and criticize him that he is not that type of QB.

It's ridiculous, Alex Smith was never presented to anyone, let alone Chiefs' fans when acquired that we were getting a HOF QB.

You can't be serious? It's a daily rhetoric on social media and in KC media that people flat out do not like Alex Smith because of his limitations and always compare him to HOF QBs like Big Ben and Brady and criticize him that he is not that type of QB.

It's ridiculous, Alex Smith was never presented to anyone, let alone Chiefs' fans when acquired that we were getting a HOF QB.

In our last three playoff games who did we beat in the playoffs? Brian Hoyer. Who did we lose too? Roethlesburger and Brady. I think most Chiefs fans are VERY aware of our place on the totem pole as a team and how much the QB plays a role in that.

In our last three playoff games who did we beat in the playoffs? Brian Hoyer. Who did we lose too? Roethlesburger and Brady. I think most Chiefs fans are VERY aware of our place on the totem pole as a team and how much the QB plays a role in that.

I know almost doesn't count, but he played well against Luck, Brees, and when his team earned the bye week twice in his career as starter, I consider that as good as two wins as far as accomplishments. At least as good as a win against Brian Hoyer. It's not his fault he didn't play in the wildcard round those years. Essentially 4 wins in WC/Divisional games. (Apply this to every other quarterback, too.)

We're talking about capabilities, right? He went to the NFCC one year. He has to prove that he has the capability of getting to the Super Bowl with us and winning to get more. I know most don't think he would. It's merit-based, and he hasn't turned the higher marks. But I don't look for the floor when looking at him or others.

. Most Super Bowl are won with elite QBs, so why not aspire to have one?

because most have ridiculous expectations that they grow on trees.

This infatuation with Mahomes and that he's a top 3 QB just waiting in the wings because "we finally drafted a 1st round QB" is just as absurd.

There's literally like a 5% chance Patrick Mahomes will ever win a SB with KC.

I'm pullilng for it, make no mistake, but the odds are not good.

This infatuation with Mahomes and that he's a top 3 QB just waiting in the wings because "we finally drafted a 1st round QB" is just as absurd.

I'm pullilng for it, make not mistake, but the odds are not good.

Do you think there is a higher chance on us drafting an elite QB or just getting a 'veteran' who's never been elite and making him an elite QB? 

Do you think there is a higher chance on us drafting an elite QB or just getting a 'veteran' who's never been elite and making him an elite QB? 

FTR, I don't want a veteran re-tread.  Drafting is the way to go, but each QB drafted in the 1st round has a small chance to win the SB.

I posted this on the Scout board a couple of years ago.  I looked at 1st round QBs drafted since Troy Aikman.  Like 5-7% of 1st round QBs made or won the Super Bowl.

I'm pullilng for it, make not mistake, but the odds are not good.

You know whats funny is that you say fans like me are waiting for Smith to fail just so we can say "I told you so". I think its pretty clear that you are waiting for the same thing to happen with Mahomes.

I like Alex Smith just fine. I believe he is an upstanding guy and has been reliable and gives us a chance to win most games during the regular season. But you cant be upset with people for acknowledging his obvious flaws or not believing he is going to lead us to a championship. Even when he is putting up numbers like this year you still see the things that will keep him from being a difference maker in crunch time.

The guy is worthless without a run game. He has really poor pocket presence and misses out on as many big plays as he is involved in. He just is who he is. Knowing he is going to protect the ball is great. But the flipside of that is knowing he is not going to stand in the pocket and force the ball in between defenders on a dime and take one on the chin. So a lot of us want to see a guy who will.

You know whats funny is that you say fans like me are waiting for Smith to fail just so we can say "I told you so". I think its pretty clear that you are waiting for the same thing to happen with Mahomes.

I like Alex Smith just fine. I believe he is an upstanding guy and has been reliable and gives us a chance to win most games during the regular season. But you cant be upset with people for acknowledging his obvious flaws or not believing he is going to lead us to a championship. Even when he is putting up numbers like this year you still see the things that will keep him from being a difference maker in crunch time.

The guy is worthless without a run game. He has really poor pocket presence and misses out on as many big plays as he is involved in. He just is who he is. Knowing he is going to protect the ball is great. But the flipside of that is knowing he is not going to stand in the pocket and force the ball in between defenders on a dime and take one on the chin. So a lot of us want to see a guy who will.

I would also say he makes the running game better by his pre-snap reads and that he is not in control of whether the play caller calls runs or abandons it. So the success of the team is a team issue that I think can be resolved by Smith being sharp on his reads and Nagy calling plays for Hunt.

He's not worthless without the run game, but I do think every team needs to have a sufficient running element and if you have a good running back, it's all the better. I mean Brees' team is having a great year due to his two pro bowl running back's. Brees is good without it, but his team is much better with it. Smith is worth less without a running game, not worthless. Smith has been clutch in the past, but definitely during our losing streak, he and Reid let us down. I think somewhere in the middle is the norm, not calling him clutch.

I think most people on here consider him to be a super QB. Or at least the comments seem to lean that way. Lots of talk about benching him. I worry about next year. It won’t take a lot of fans long to call Mahomes a bust. We are hard on QBs in KC.

There is very little chance Mahomes will be as successful as Smith in his first year starting.

Not true, I've said the exact opposite many times.  It's just that I know the Chiefs' luck with this stuff.

Do you or anyone else really think Mahomes will be a top 3 QB for the Chiefs? 

It's so typical that Watson or even Trubisky will be great QBs and Mahomes will be a bust.

That's what I expect.

You expect Alex Smith and the Chiefs to fail in the playoffs every year, I expect Mahomes to be a bust.  Because, Chiefs.

How is this any different?

I am a huge fan of Alex Smith.  Great competitor, super role model and a top NFL QB.  KC was quite lucky to get him

In ranking Chief QB's I have to go with:

1. Dawson

2. Montana

3. Smith

That said, is it time to move on and let the youngster get his chance?  Absolutely.

Kudos to Alex and I only wish him the absolute best.

w

Not true, I've said the exact opposite many times.  It's just that I know the Chiefs' luck with this stuff.

Do you or anyone else really think Mahomes will be a top 3 QB for the Chiefs? 

It's so typical that Watson or even Trubisky will be great QBs and Mahomes will be a bust.

That's what I expect.

You expect Alex Smith and the Chiefs to fail in the playoffs every year, I expect Mahomes to be a bust.  Because, Chiefs.

How is this any different?

It's so typical that Watson and Trubisky will be great QBs but Mahomes a bust? This is laughable. We haven't tried this approach in freaking 30 plus years and it's now typical that a new approach will fail because Chiefs. Black cats and ladders buddy. You keep believing in pure luck and the rest of us will angle toward building a champion by actually improving the roster.

Heck you seem to think this franchise that's close to having 5 straight winning seasons is just perpetually bad and nothing will ever change it.  Literally the dumbest thing I've ever heard. You don't win championships by rubbing rabbits feet together. You win with good scouting that delivers good players and good coaching that develops those players.  It's how we got here from 2 win seasons. And how we can get a Lombardi from here.

I am a huge fan of Alex Smith.  Great competitor, super role model and a top NFL QB.  KC was quite lucky to get him

1. Dawson

2. Montana

3. Smith

That said, is it time to move on and let the youngster get his chance?  Absolutely.

w

I'd take Green over Smith  but it'd be 

Trent 3A

Smith 3B

I am a huge fan of Alex Smith. Great competitor, super role model and a top NFL QB. KC was quite lucky to get him

1. Dawson

2. Montana

3. Smith

That said, is it time to move on and let the youngster get his chance? Absolutely.

w

I'd take Green over Smith but it'd be

Trent 3A

Smith 3B

West and oldtimer, if we somehow win the Super Bowl this year with Smith, would he jump Montana? While obviously Montana is the better quarterback, Smith would have won it here. I think that at the very least he would jump Green.

Archived