Let’s pay tribute to Alex Smith

The Steelers had a huge time of possession in that game (over 34 minutes) in a game where the Steelers had only nine meaningful offensive possessions. Smith was not responsible for either of the Chiefs' turnovers, the hack-pick and the West fumble. Smith was not responsible for the game-tying two-point conversion being called back on a holding penalty (but holding was about the only way the offensive line got anything done that game). Everyone wants to boil it down to Smith, but an all-around poor effort by the entire team was to blame for that loss. Championship teams don't allow 2 points per drive and fail to produce meaningful pressure on the opposing quarterback.

The 'didn't allow a touchdown' gripe exaggerates the actual contributions of the Chiefs' defense that game. That defense allowed an average of well over 40 yards per drive, and while the defense wasn't to blame for both Chiefs turnovers allowing the Steelers to start a pair of drives in Chiefs' territory, just one more clutch stop by that defense turns that game into a 17-15 contest in which the Chiefs could have won on the strength of its defense, which is what guys like Roethlisberger have been doing for their entire post-season career.

What a bad post. The defense that got a turnover and gave up zero TD’s is to fault? Not the offense that went 6 straight drives from the 1st through 4th quarter giving us nothing.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a bad post. The defense that got a turnover and gave up zero TD’s is to fault? Not the offense that went 6 straight drives from the 1st through 4th quarter giving us nothing.

Offense's fault, not just Smith. TOP contributed to it. Another touchdown thing is a relevant. The 18 points is relevant. Offense should've scored 19 or more. I know you weren't quoting me, but I do blame the offense as a whole, but I don't give one shake about the no touchdown thing when the Steelers scored on six of the nine possessions.

Offense's fault, not just Smith. TOP contributed to it. Another touchdown thing is a relevant. The 18 points is relevant. Offense should've scored 19 or more. I know you weren't quoting me, but I do blame the offense as a whole, but I don't give one shake about the no touchdown thing when the Steelers scored on six of the nine possessions.

Yes but you can’t blame TOP solely on the defense when the offense goes 5 drives with only 21 plays average basically 4 plays per drive.

Edit: counting 5 and not 6 drives due to 1 of those drives being before the half with 52 seconds left in a no wok situation.

Yes but you can’t blame TOP solely on the defense when the offense goes 5 drives with only 21 plays average basically 4 plays per drive.

Edit: counting 5 and not 6 drives due to 1 of those drives being before the half with 52 seconds left in a no wok situation.

Who blamed time of possession exclusively on the defense? But the fact is that the defense couldn't get off the field from the very start. It's not like you could blame the offense for stranding the defense on the field. If anything, the defense deserves blame for not getting off the field in a timely manner so that the offense could wear out the Steelers' defense instead of constantly coming back on to the field against a well-rested Steelers defense. There's blame to go around.

Interconnected.

Good QBs don’t lose that game. That’s my point. And I’m sure it played a role in what we did last April. There’s just always some excuse. And we’ve done everything and tried everything except drafting an elite talent at QB to try and fix it. That’s the point. I still can see Tyreek streaking wide open last year while Alex dumped the ball at somebody’s feet. Oh but he wasn’t in the progression. Good QBs don’t miss a guy that open with the entire season on the line.

The defense did its job and held Pitt 10 points under their season average. The offense did just the opposite and nobody deserves more blame than the most expensive player on the field.

I like and have always defended Alex but we are all just tired of the excuses. Kudos to Andy Reid, John Dorsey and Brett Veach for doing something about it. Now as the clock winds down on Alex’s tenure here, he’s got one last chance to do something about it himself too. I’ll be out there tomorrow like I have every start he’s ever made here rooting like hell for him too.

Don’t waste your breath.

Yep. Phata will try to tell you that Brady is surrounded by elite level talent named James White, Chris Hogan, Lagarett Blount and Danny Amendola in last years Super Bowl while Alex is surrounded by complete scrubs that couldn’t make anyone else’s roster. Just plain silly.

Good QBs don’t lose that game. That’s my point. And I’m sure it played a role in what we did last April. There’s just always some excuse. And we’ve done everything and tried everything except drafting an elite talent at QB to try and fix it. That’s the point. I still can see Tyreek streaking wide open last year while Alex dumped the ball at somebody’s feet. Oh but he wasn’t in the progression. Good QBs don’t miss a guy that open with the entire season on the line.

The defense did its job and held Pitt 10 points under their season average. The offense did just the opposite and nobody deserves more blame than the most expensive player on the field.

I like and have always defended Alex but we are all just tired of the excuses. Kudos to Andy Reid, John Dorsey and Brett Veach for doing something about it. Now as the clock winds down on Alex’s tenure here, he’s got one last chance to do something about it himself too. I’ll be out there tomorrow like I have every start he’s ever made here rooting like hell for him too.

He's a good QB, just was not good enough. If we played that game again, I think we'd have a chance to win. I supported getting someone cheaper who is younger and has upside enough to match or exceed Smith. I didn't think that was Lynch, but this staff and two years with Lynch? Better than in Denver. I think Smith is good enough to win without a stellar defense and fantastic running game, but it's not likely and it's easier with those. And yes, there are QBs I would say couldn't.

Now, I think Mahomes has more potential than my requirements of being young, cheap, and being as good or better than Smith early. But that's just gravy. That could make it more than unlikely and it's good he's had this year to learn and not rush things. I mean, he's seen a hot team, a cold team, and a team rebounding. Now, I hope he sees a successful playoffs.

I think you have been fair to Smith ever since I first saw you on Scout. Fair even against fellow board members tag teaming you, etc., but I feel that sometimes it comes across that you are overcompensating here for your support of Smith to show that you too see the Emporer's New Clothes. Everyone here saw Smith's strengths and weaknesses. Even you when you were defending him. Everyone wanted an upgrade, even those who felt/feel we could win one if things aligned. Everyone wanted him to be cheaper, even though he was on average paid 18-22nd in the league and wanted to give less than two second rounders.

I think we could have beaten the Steelers 31-16 if things went a bit differently in parts. We could have won in OT if Harris conversion wasn't taken. I think Smith is good enough to have come back and win. But he didn't and I think Mahomes will be and can. (Even though the Patriots game was close enough, I'm not saying that game Smith could have won as it was constituted. Too many other weaknesses on our team and injuries. Not going to spin that one. Good QBs still lose to Brady on the road when the team is injured.)

He's a good QB, just was not good enough. If we played that game again, I think we'd have a chance to win. I supported getting someone cheaper who is younger and has upside enough to match or exceed Smith. I didn't think that was Lynch, but this staff and two years with Lynch? Better than in Denver. I think Smith is good enough to win without a stellar defense and fantastic running game, but it's not likely and it's easier with those. And yes, there are QBs I would say couldn't.

Now, I think Mahomes has more potential than my requirements of being young, cheap, and being as good or better than Smith early. But that's just gravy. That could make it more than unlikely and it's good he's had this year to learn and not rush things. I mean, he's seen a hot team, a cold team, and a team rebounding. Now, I hope he sees a successful playoffs.

I think you have been fair to Smith ever since I first saw you on Scout. Fair even against fellow board members tag teaming you, etc., but I feel that sometimes it comes across that you are overcompensating here for your support of Smith to show that you too see the Emporer's New Clothes. Everyone here saw Smith's strengths and weaknesses. Even you when you were defending him. Everyone wanted an upgrade, even those who felt/feel we could win one if things aligned. Everyone wanted him to be cheaper, even though he was on average paid 18-22nd in the league and wanted to give less than two second rounders.

I think we could have beaten the Steelers 31-16 if things went a bit differently in parts. We could have won in OT if Harris conversion wasn't taken. I think Smith is good enough to have come back and win. But he didn't and I think Mahomes will be and can. (Even though the Patriots game was close enough, I'm not saying that game Smith could have won as it was constituted. Too many other weaknesses on our team and injuries. Not going to spin that one. Good QBs still lose to Brady on the road when the team is injured.)

Good post. I agree with nearly everything. Phata is off his rocker when it comes to Smith and I’ve taken the bait. Reality is these debates about Alex really serve no purpose anymore. We made our decision the day we traded for Mahomes. Now every single Chiefs fan should be fully backing Smith as long as he’s here and hope he can finish his tenure here by playing his best football since he got here.

Who blamed time of possession exclusively on the defense? But the fact is that the defense couldn't get off the field from the very start. It's not like you could blame the offense for stranding the defense on the field. If anything, the defense deserves blame for not getting off the field in a timely manner so that the offense could wear out the Steelers' defense instead of constantly coming back on to the field against a well-rested Steelers defense. There's blame to go around.

Interconnected.

The fact is that after the first drive the offense couldn’t stay on the field.

It’s not the defenses fault that the offense did absolutely nothing from after the first drive to the 4th Q.

The Steelers had chance after chance bc the offense couldn’t string a drive together.

The defense even gave the ball back to the offense through Eric Berry’s INT.

West and oldtimer, if we somehow win the Super Bowl this year with Smith, would he jump Montana? While obviously Montana is the better quarterback, Smith would have won it here. I think that at the very least he would jump Green.

That's a really good question KCSLC2008. IMO he would jump Green and also Montana. Montana is clearly the better QB and so is Green, slightly. Winning the SB would be huge because of what the Chiefs are going to have to go through and who they have to beat to even get there.

It's no secret that I'm a Alex Smith fan, but he has limitations. Some say Trent Green was better, and I can't argue against that, but I wonder how Smith would do if he had the Oline Green had. When the oline fell apart in KC, Trent Green struggled also. I also remember a time early in the DV years, before they got Willie Roaf; and the oline solidified that his nickname was TrINT. 

Having said all that, I'm excited to see what Mahomes can do. I'm glad the Chiefs took a chance and drafted him and hope he's better than all three.

That's a really good question KCSLC2008. IMO he would jump Green and also Montana. Montana is clearly the better QB and so is Green, slightly. Winning the SB would be huge because of what the Chiefs are going to have to go through and who they have to beat to even get there.

It's no secret that I'm a Alex Smith fan, but he has limitations. Some say Trent Green was better, and I can't argue against that, but I wonder how Smith would do if he had the Oline Green had. When the oline fell apart in KC, Trent Green struggled also. I also remember a time early in the DV years, before they got Willie Roaf; and the oline solidified that his nickname was TrINT. 

Having said all that, I'm excited to see what Mahomes can do. I'm glad the Chiefs took a chance and drafted him and hope he's better than all three.

I know that this does not matter one ounce of beans and I'd gladly accept an asshole if he won a SB or more with us, but I love that Mahomes has been respectful. While I know he wants to be out there and I believe he could do well, he's not been too uppity, impatient, stubborn, disrespectful, nor divisive, even through our losing stretch. That sounds like it falls under the "what is he supposed to say?" category, but it does go a long way with me that he didn't say what he shouldn't. At least it shows maturity. And I know he wants to be out there and is confident as hell. And I believe he is learning and has the talent.

I know that this does not matter one ounce of beans and I'd gladly accept an asshole if he won a SB or more with us, but I love that Mahomes has been respectful. While I know he wants to be out there and I believe he could do well, he's not been too uppity, impatient, stubborn, disrespectful, nor divisive, even through our losing stretch. That sounds like it falls under the "what is he supposed to say?" category, but it does go a long way with me that he didn't say what he shouldn't. At least it shows maturity. And I know he wants to be out there and is confident as hell. And I believe he is learning and has the talent.

Agreed, I hadn't really thought about that. 

You are right. I pointed this out before.

He has a good head on his shoulders. He’s going to be a good one. His dad being a pro, I’m sure plays a part. It’s part of his culture and makeup.

Archived