James Harrison anyone?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The New England Patriots are getting a late Christmas gift in the form of James Harrison

According to Field Yates of ESPN, the defending Super Bowl champions have signed the former Steelers linebacker after he visited with the team on Tuesday. Harrison cleared waivers on Monday after Pittsburgh released their longtime figurehead on defense last Saturday. During his time with the Steelers, Harrison won two Super Bowls while also tallying a franchise high 80.5 sacks. 

This year, the 39-year-old has seen a dip in playing time due to the rise of rookie T.J. Watt and others. In 2017, Harrison has played in just five games and recorded three tackles.

From a Patriots perspective, Harrison's lack of playing time could be viewed as a positive turn of events because it likely means that the former DPOY has minimal bumps and bruises upon his arrival in Foxboro. That in and of itself is great news as he joins a linebacker/pass rushing unit that could desperately use his services as they've been ravished by injuries this year including a season ender for star linebacker Dont'a Hightower and a calf injury that's put a dent into Kyle Van Noy's playing time these last few weeks.

Harrison has been on the field for many major moments between the Patriots and Steelers over the years and if both of these AFC powerhouses are able to make it to the conference title games once again, he'll be able to take part in another.

This time it'll just be from a wildly different view. 

https://247sports.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/Bolt/Patriots-sign-former-Steelers-LB-James-Harrison-off-waiver-112735975

Who did the Steelers replace him with on the roster? Because I don't think that he would be a threat on an OK to bad team but to a team you feel you will meet in the playoffs? I know that they didn't trade him to the Patriots, but they couldn't have kept him or traded him to the Saints or Vikings or something? I made up those teams because I don't know them well but I meant a playoff team who may give up a late rounder for one push.

Too late, he signed with the Patriots. This is why they hoist the Lombardi more than anyone else; Belichick recognizes good opportunities when they arise. This was one of those.

I think more people realize there's opportunities and just Bella check, but Bella check has the talent, history, coaching ability, and in this case, revenge factor going for him. They get players for less than they are worth on other teams. I give just as much credit to the Steelers for this move. (Yes, I don't think it was a "good" move to release him even though I don't think he would have contributed there much.)

Just remember this thread when everyone here is bitching about lack of pressure on the QB in the game we exit the playoffs in...then remember it again when Harrison does something gamechanging for the Patriots in the post season...then remember how we could have had him for nothing...but as always let some other team reap the rewards...

Just remember this thread when everyone here is bitching about lack of pressure on the QB in the game we exit the playoffs in...then remember it again when Harrison does something gamechanging for the Patriots in the post season...then remember how we could have had him for nothing...but as always let some other team reap the rewards...

No, just remember that the Patriots can get quality veteran depth on the cheap because they are the Patriots, and don't do dumb things like extend the Dwayne Bowes of the league. They go into every off-season like their goal is to win a Super Bowl, and they'll do things like trade draft picks for experienced role players rather than burn multiple high draft picks for "the future". James Harrison doesn't have time for the future. He needs to win that last ring now.

Aside from this, I'm really not concerned. Bill Belicheck did this to get in Mike Tomlin's head, and that's about all the edge James Harrison will give a Patriots team that has better players on their roster right now.

Too late, he signed with the Patriots. This is why they hoist the Lombardi more than anyone else; Belichick recognizes good opportunities when they arise. This was one of those.

You think his impact will be more than Revis has given us? And if you have opportunity to play with Tom Brady your going to likely take it to try and get a ring. Nobody is choosing an Alex Smith led team over Brady. Just ask Kenny Britt. I think in our situation it would either be sign him and put Tamba on IR or go with Tamba and pass here. We clearly have the money to sign him but what’s the point of having two of the same part time player?

You think his impact will be more than Revis has given us? And if you have opportunity to play with Tom Brady your going to likely take it to try and get a ring. Nobody is choosing an Alex Smith led team over Brady. Just ask Kenny Britt. I think in our situation it would either be sign him and put Tamba on IR or go with Tamba and pass here. We clearly have the money to sign him but what’s the point of having two of the same part time player?

I don’t know what his impact will be, but we know what Tamba’s has been. Probably wouldn’t have mattered even if we’d shown interest, however, because NE is far more appealing for an old guy looking to get another ring.

Exactly. Remember this thread when (if, hopefully) the Chiefs are playing the Pats in the playoffs and Harrison owns Fisher (again) on a critical down with the outcome of the game in question.

According to an article on Pro Football Weekly the Patriots didn't just pick up Harrison to bolster a shaky defense. The writer suggests the Patriots have a good chance of playing the Chiefs in the division round,...and James Harrison has owned Fisher the last 2 times he has faced him. Of the 38 snaps Harrison has taken this year, 18 of them were against the Chiefs. By far and away more than any other opponent. Supposedly, Tomlin wanted Harrison on the field so "the left tackle could see he was out there." Get in his head. The last two games we have face the Steelers we have come up just short. In both games Harrison made key plays late in the game to thwart any chance of winning....against Fisher.

Oh and they also likely have him against his old team the Steelers. Brilliant move by the Pats.

Not true. Everything they have is because of Tom Brady. Everything else is window dressing.

Archived