Hill is a gadget player

You're right, that is more important to Smith due to his limited ability to improvise. With his eyes downfield he's better about this and yet still has limited vision. Robinson is every bit the route runner as the rest of our receivers, it's just he's not on the "read list" as soon as the guys he trusts. Wilson has done plenty of "wrong turns" during his time in KC.

Where they're coming from, what they have done, how long they have been in the system, have a lot to do with what plays are called up, who is in the progression, where he's at in the progression, etc. I've read that he has not been where he supposed to be at times and that was good for scramble play but it's not for other places.

I don't know why it is so far-fetched that a rookie who wasn't drafted high could possibly be by his own merit or status behind on the progressions, regardless of the quarterback. Smith does miss him when he's open, but I have seen some of these plays that people cite and they aren't obvious or guaranteed but yet they are tallied up. I mean, Smith would throw to someone in his progression but Robinson will be open and that is chalked up as not being able to improvise? The progressions are there for a reason and people have said that he is good at pre-snap reads. It's not a jump a quarterback and he has his flaws, but forgive me to give the benefit of the doubt to Smith and Reid. I'm sure if you were looking to get the ball to Robinson the looks of be different. He's looking at three or four guys. Plus the pass rush. Plus the protection. Plus the running back.

Robinson may be in the progression more next year, but Mahomes should be going through the progressions first and then improvising. If you have some connection through improv with Robinson that can be a bad thing in some cases and it can't be good. He should go through progressions, have pocket presence, and then if things go to hell, know where you guys are at improv. Also, with pre-snap reads, I don't have any doubt that Mahomes will emphasize the one on one plays, but Smith is done that before and that's not necessarily improv.

In the end, none of this is to excuse Smith for his limitations, putting down Mahomes, etc. It's Robinson who is the wildcard. I have no doubt about Mahomes. I know what Smith can do and what he doesn't often do. I'm not putting wool over my eyes. I believe Robinson will be a better receiver next year and yes, Maholmes will look to him more, but some of that is Robinson were improving from where he's at. Robinson will be a better receiver than he has been for Smith. And not just because of Smith's limitations or Mahomes strengths. He will be better. Wilson is better than last year with the same quarterback.

Wilson has done plenty of "wrong turns" during his time in KC.

That never escaped my notice before. But Wilson has been better about it this year. However, he continues to have issues with drops. He also had a nice clown catch a couple of weeks ago. Mixed bag. Sometimes I just wish Smith had more receivers that could do the normal things any NFL receiver should be able to do consistently.

That never escaped my notice before. But Wilson has been better about it this year. However, he continues to have issues with drops. He also had a nice clown catch a couple of weeks ago. Mixed bag. Sometimes I just wish Smith had more receivers that could do the normal things any NFL receiver should be able to do consistently.

That's Robinson. Robinson could have been Smiths bestest buddy. He's in and out of his breaks very quickly getting good separation. That's his game. Smith would have loved him had he put the effort in.

That's Robinson. Robinson could have been Smiths bestest buddy. He's in and out of his breaks very quickly getting good separation. That's his game. Smith would have loved him had he put the effort in.

That's stupid shit. Smith has put in the effort. I don't question that. He put in the effort in the whole offense not just one player. Someone can miss a player without not putting in the effort. No one is going to prioritize a fourth rounder second-year receiver when they are playing with Hill, Kelce, and Hunt, even though I think Smith could connect with him more. Mahomes played primarily with Robinson while I do recognize that Mahomes game is more suited for Robinson, I don't put it as an effort thing.

That's stupid shit. Smith has put in the effort. I don't question that. He put in the effort in the whole offense not just one player. Someone can miss a player without not putting in the effort. No one is going to prioritize a fourth rounder second-year receiver when they are playing with Hill, Kelce, and Hunt, even though I think Smith could connect with him more. Mahomes played primarily with Robinson while I do recognize that Mahomes game is more suited for Robinson, I don't put it as an effort thing.

Smith is not good at going through the full progression. Robinson usually too far down the progressions for alex to get to him.

Where they're coming from, what they have done, how long they have been in the system, have a lot to do with what plays are called up, who is in the progression, where he's at in the progression, etc. I've read that he has not been where he supposed to be at times and that was good for scramble play but it's not for other places.

I don't know why it is so far-fetched that a rookie who wasn't drafted high could possibly be by his own merit or status behind on the progressions, regardless of the quarterback. Smith does miss him when he's open, but I have seen some of these plays that people cite and they aren't obvious or guaranteed but yet they are tallied up. I mean, Smith would throw to someone in his progression but Robinson will be open and that is chalked up as not being able to improvise? The progressions are there for a reason and people have said that he is good at pre-snap reads. It's not a jump a quarterback and he has his flaws, but forgive me to give the benefit of the doubt to Smith and Reid. I'm sure if you were looking to get the ball to Robinson the looks of be different. He's looking at three or four guys. Plus the pass rush. Plus the protection. Plus the running back.

Robinson may be in the progression more next year, but Mahomes should be going through the progressions first and then improvising. If you have some connection through improv with Robinson that can be a bad thing in some cases and it can't be good. He should go through progressions, have pocket presence, and then if things go to hell, know where you guys are at improv. Also, with pre-snap reads, I don't have any doubt that Mahomes will emphasize the one on one plays, but Smith is done that before and that's not necessarily improv.

In the end, none of this is to excuse Smith for his limitations, putting down Mahomes, etc. It's Robinson who is the wildcard. I have no doubt about Mahomes. I know what Smith can do and what he doesn't often do. I'm not putting wool over my eyes. I believe Robinson will be a better receiver next year and yes, Maholmes will look to him more, but some of that is Robinson were improving from where he's at. Robinson will be a better receiver than he has been for Smith. And not just because of Smith's limitations or Mahomes strengths. He will be better. Wilson is better than last year with the same quarterback.

Nicely said. I think it is spot on.

Smith is not good at going through the full progression. Robinson usually too far down the progressions for alex to get to him.

I'll agree he's not the best at going through them he doesn't stick in the pocket as much as some other quarterbacks do. Mahomes challenge will be not going to the third or fourth progression when the first or second is going to come open. I'm not saying anything about him, but there are some quarterbacks who want to go to improv immediately. Holding on the ball too long trying to make a play can hurt a game but it doesn't hurt when you were trying to come back. When you're trying to go for your first or second progression but the pocket breaks down or you notice something better, then improv is great.

Just don't fall in love with it because it is hard for a coach, line, or other receivers to consistently perform when there's no reliable expectation of what the quarterback will do. Same thing for receivers same thing for the line. I understand that being too rigid can be a problem, but consistency is a good thing and then being able to improv is good.

Again, there's no indication that this is Mahomes problem. I understand that it happens sometimes. This is where having Reid, Smith, and Nagy for this year and the coaches going forward is a good thing. I feel comfortable with my expectations of Mahomes and his/our future.

Mahomes came in with a clear issue with drifting in the pocket which is a huge no no. You saw that at times in limited preseason snaps. He’s unreal at making throws from one foor, or off balance and with weird angles. His arm is just special and he has natural feel for how to use it. But at the same time he shouldn’t be doing that unless he needs too.

He’s just a different animal than anything we’ve seen here before. The buzz you hear about him that comes from people around this team every day has to get any Chiefs fan really excited. But he’s still a 22 year old rookie thaf had a lot to work on. This game gives him a chance to get a feel for real game speed against a very good defense. And hopefully even if he struggles surrrounded by backups, the moment won’t prove to big for him.

His Father just passed away.

Sorry to hear that.  As far as we know, he is on the straight and narrow, but any time he's held out for non-football reasons, we have to be reminded of the controversy after the draft about whether he had put his issues behind him.  Hope he gets through the tough time and comes back strong.

Archived